Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Gold

Howard Phillips, chief executive of Pegasus Life said: "We are committed to creating stunning homes that sit in harmony with their surroundings.

Mamon rears its ugly head.

Retirement homes which wouldn't be cheap.

http://www.pegasuslife.co.uk/portfolio/dawlish-devon/

Looks to be on top of Parsons Tunnel.

Edited by Re6/6

I like the comment from the property developers about keeping a 33ft exclusion zone from the cliff edge. When I was deeply involved with unstable slopes we always used to start off drawing a 45 degree (1 in 1) from the bottom of the cut face to define the initial area of risk. If you are in clay soils most of the natural slopes in England are standing at no more than 1 in 3.

No matter what gets written into planning permissions (or deeds) the real difficulty is proving what has happened. There is a need to understand that with most earthworks problems the loading is from the mass of the ground. The superimposed loading from housing (or road or rail vehicles in the case of embankments) is largely irrelevant. Then of course there is the groundwater - which can both add to the load and at the same time halve the shear strength. Proving how that might have changed after a slope has failed could keep a lot of 'experts' busy for quite some time.

Good to luck to Network Rail I say.

Regards

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Quote:

"Pegasus called it an "excellent and appropriate concept for this wonderful location".

End quote.

Which roughly translated means, "An excellent opportunity to make a quick buck!"

Still, never let safety get in the way of making a few quid, eh Mr Howard Phillips? :nono:

Edited by Gary H
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Some very strong comments here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-30742205from Network Rail regarding a potential housing development close to the site to the collapse.  

I love the comment from the profiteers developers about building no closer than 10 metres to the cliff edge - would that be this month's cliff edge or next winter's?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
The Stationmaster, on 10 Jan 2015 - 15:25, said:

I love the comment from the profiteers developers about building no closer than 10 metres to the cliff edge - would that be this month's cliff edge or next winter's?

Indeed. Just about sums up how farcical the whole thing is!

• Like 2

I spoke to an Amco operative on Thursday 8th,

He was not at all impressed by the 'new' jacking barge having not been moved

from Teignmouth docks to Dawlish on the favourable tides on wednesday due to the 'swell' running

( he had been previously involved in vessel movements to the Scilly Isles 

Atlantic Rollers etc, 60 ft waves off Lands End etc)

I couldn't possibly comment, although I have seen Sennen  Cove disappear under 100 ft of sea spray

He did say that about 100 'L' shaped precast units are stacked on Teignmouth Docks,

although from Poly Steps only 5 are visible, ready for shipping as soon as the barge does get moved

The bottom walkway has had the locating/anchor bolts fixed in place ready to receive them

and

it looks like they are going to run concrete across the beach from Red Rock again

as well as from the main road above the site

there has been a pinch point off Rockstone bridge, where the beach is lower

& this hinders access to the site, so Thursday they were constructing what looks to be a causeway

to offset this

building a loose barrier out of old rock & broken concrete 

post-22449-0-27347500-1420925390_thumb.jpg

Terex dumper, having been loaded  up by the Jacking barge, turning ready to reverse down to tip

post-22449-0-40334000-1420925412_thumb.jpg

backing down under Rockstone bridge

post-22449-0-48476700-1420925434_thumb.jpg

Sorry I have not been about a lot this week

my wife has had a major spine surgery postponed 3 times Oct, Nov,  then December again

but she eventually had it this last Thurs ( 5-6 hours)

And now is recovering very well, the surgeon is pleased, And I am WELL pleased & relieved

but with Hospital visiting twice daily time is limited

hopefully she will be home either tomorrow Sunday or maybe Monday,

depending on the X rays tomorrow 

Edited by Granitechops

• RMweb Gold

Indeed. Just about sums up how farcical the whole thing is!

Indeed Gary. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this doesn't 'sneak through' over time. Determined developers/speculators just go on and on adjusting the plans until they get what they want. 

Indeed Gary. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this doesn't 'sneak through' over time. Determined developers/speculators just go on and on adjusting the plans until they get what they want. 

I wonder if prospective purchasers will be able to get building insurance? Certain insurers have been known to refuse where they believe the is a risk of cliff collapse, and have done so for quite some time; building societies have also been known to refuse mortgages. My sister had issues with this, as she's a few street backs from a cliff which has given problems; when the parties involved tried to baffle her with science, they probably didn't realise she was a geotechnical engineer with an encyclopedic knowledge of the local geology..

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

It would be interesting to know who owns the cliffs. The landowner above or NR below. The GWR boundary markers are normally three or so metres away from the railway line.

A good point Brian about insurance.

• RMweb Premium

The insurance aspect is an interesting one. In light of recent events right across the British isles over the last couple of years (infact much longer than that probably), any insurance company worth its salt

would take a long hard look at any building perched so near a cliff edge in this day and age!

What is more concerning is also the amount of 'back handers' that goes on in the property development game as a whole now. I would say every body on this forum knows of atleast one example

of something that was built which under normal 'level playing field' circumstances would have never come to fruition!

• RMweb Premium

The other issue is that local authorities are scared of rejecting applications because of the cost of ending up in court when the developer challenges the rejection - even if the rejection was for good reasons.

As these are retirement homes perhaps the developer is hoping they will outlast the first purchasers.

• RMweb Premium

The other issue is that local authorities are scared of rejecting applications because of the cost of ending up in court when the developer challenges the rejection - even if the rejection was for good reasons.

As these are retirement homes perhaps the developer is hoping they will outlast the first purchasers.

That happenned near me where a field got itself reclassified as a garden, thus becoming brownfield, and 7 houses were built on it.  The application had been rejected 3 times but the developer, one of 3 brothers who controlled the land, got a consultant in at the cost of several thousand pounds and the council caved in due to anticipated court costs if they lost the appeal.  

Jamie

Building on “Flood Plains” in Essex is yet another example.

I know England is a small crowded country but that cliffside looks particularly prone to erosion, more so when any vegetation is further removed.

Best, Pete.

Edited: To cover my idiocy that England is an island....

Edited by trisonic