Washout at Dawlish

Maybe because low tide isn't low enough with neap tides. Spring tides = higher highs and lower lows? Only guessing.

Yes spring tides may be higher at high tide, making it appear worse

BUT

they are a lot lower at low tide, giving a bigger window of activity before the tide rises

to cut off access across the beach for the dumpers & diggers 

in this situation in Dawlish the work site is so low

that no access is possible when the neap low tide is only as low as 

at 2 mtr on sunday rising to 2.2 mtr on tuesday before falling back to 1.4 mtr next sat

after that the low tide height falls  to .8 to 1.8 mttr to the 31st Dec

giving a much longer work period

PLUS

any swell increases the height of the low tide reducing access time

Edited by Granitechops

• RMweb Gold

The Jack Up Barge is moved by lowering itself into the water at high tide, and then moved into it's new position by tugs.

The second Jack Up Barge has now been confirmed and should be en-route soon.

Don't know what the pre-cast 'L' sections were doing in Dawlish station car park - may have been mis-delivered, as the plan is to deliver them by sea from Teignmouth Docks.

The crane was probably moved in connection with work being done on one of the other three sections of the lower walkway, so I suspect more of the containers will be removed soon.

We are getting ever closer to the start of craning in the 'L' sections. These will be treated in units of 5 at a time, and most of the void behind them will be completely filled with concrete, reinforced with steel sections.

Don't know what the pre-cast 'L' sections were doing in Dawlish station car park - may have been mis-delivered, as the plan is to deliver them by sea from Teignmouth Docks.

wouldnt be the first time,

seen artics having to reverse out into main traffic,

from Dawlish town Station car park

& be redirected to Dawlish Warren compound more than once

I think some drivers dont read their documents properly

(said he as an ex lorry driver)

I remember hearing tell of a driver arriving in St ives after going through Penzance

and finding he should have been in St Ives Cambridgeshire

dont know what he told his boss!!

And they managed to do that without satnavs? Reminds me of the coachload of tourists meant to go to Stratford-upon-Avon who ended up in Stratford in East London.

The last time I was on the Central Line there was a party of Americans heading to Stratford. They think the UnderGround covers the whole country...

They obviously weren’t Shakespeare Freaks it was “Somewhere to go”.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Sun noon 14 th Dec.

even though no concrete may be brought in over the beach for now

work goes on

big gap on low walkway where the containers were

post-22449-0-12525700-1418563646_thumb.jpg

not long been lifted by the look of it, it has been dropped onto the barge deck

you can just see the chains diagonally behind the two portaloos

post-22449-0-20289800-1418563701.jpg

in this close up you can see the less than elegant first repairs to the washout (lower)

well it was emergency & it was Stormy at the time!!

post-22449-0-14045700-1418563853.jpg

Also in that last pic you can see the steel reinforcing

sticking up out of the new concrete foundation pad

along the back wall ( left hand end nearest camera)

you can also see the step down to where the container has just  been lifted

where there is no new foundation yet

that will probably be on the agenda for this week

putting up the shuttering for that section to be infilled

when the tides are right next weekend

looks like just 5 or 6 containers left on the wall

the way that container has lifted without buckling

suggests that they opened the end doors & unloaded it first

and it had suficent structural integrity to be craned in one piece

Do you remember this?

10th Feb 2014, before the second storm

IIRC this is where the first concrete was poured in

probably some of it spilled over the edge of the original wall( what was left of it)

and set down behind the containers

taken from NWR webcam

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/timetables-and-travel/storm-damage/dawlish/

post-22449-0-74440800-1418566068_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The lorry had been reversed up but there wasnt anyone with it, I only saw it briefly as I passed it on the train.

• RMweb Gold

Oh look, another leak at Dawlish.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-30487872

Oh, someone has only just noticed?  Come on BBC a new report is simply highlighting long standing potential problem areas which could get worse if the climate changes in a particular way - Cowley Bridge Jcn has been flooding, to a lesser or greater extent, since Brunel was a lad and the same can definitely be said of the stretch of railway along the coast in the vicinity of Dawlish.  What we saw more recently on the Somerset Levels was rather different where because of lack of management by the Environment Agency water from areas which flood most years could not get away and built up to much higher than usual levels.

Excellent in my view that NR are taking a strategic and longer term look at these old problems but hardly such a 'surprise' as the BBC report seems to imply.

• RMweb Gold

Shame they are still referring to the station at Dawlish as a TRAIN station, after promising last year to clean up their act.

Stewart

I'm afraid that it's just tilting at windmills. We're stuck with it unfortunately. The only people who use the word 'railway' now appear to be the likes of 'us' and older folk!

Whenever 'vox pop' interviews are shown one rarely ever hear the words 'railway station' anymore, not helped by the interviewer usually using it.

What was the promise made about cleaning up their act?

It seems that the term 'railroad station' is now little used in America.

Like it or loathe it, with a constantly changing use of language, it's here to stay!

....now what really does *iss me off is 'train line'.............trains run on a railway line......but they do stop at stations!....I'll get my hat...!

To play devil's advocate, I can remember the phrase of train station used for many years. Perhaps not a railway saying but one thts been in use for a while

I Googled train Station and Harrow on the Hill is described as a train station  https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=train%20station

I guess we  just have to put up with things being called something slightly different to what we understand every now and then

• Like 1