Washout at Dawlish

[stewartingram on 16th December 2014 at 15:13 said.  "shame  they are still referring to the station at Dawlish as TRAIN station, after promising last year to clean up their act"]

The privatisation of the railway, splitting apart the infrastructure from the operational element, probably has not helped. Under British Rail it was a complete organisation (a railway). Now many people seem to regard the infrastructure such as the sea wall, tunnels, cuttings and track as railway and the operational side, i.e. stations, booking websites and rolling stock as train.

[stewartingram on 16th December 2014 at 15:13 said.  "shame  they are still referring to the station at Dawlish as TRAIN station, after promising last year to clean up their act"]

The privatisation of the railway, splitting apart the infrastructure from the operational element, probably has not helped. Under British Rail it was a complete organisation (a railway). Now many people seem to regard the infrastructure such as the sea wall, tunnels, cuttings and track as railway and the operational side, i.e. stations, booking websites and rolling stock as train.

You really think they know the difference! 

• RMweb Gold

To play devil's advocate, I can remember the phrase of train station used for many years. Perhaps not a railway saying but one thts been in use for a while

I Googled train Station and Harrow on the Hill is described as a train station  https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=train%20station

I guess we  just have to put up with things being called something slightly different to what we understand every now and then

It seems to be something we have to put up with in the many uses and misuses of our language.  A certain fairly recent US President was well known for mangling language and I'm sure it was a consequence of his ignorance, similarly we get the same in Britain from the media and politicians - many of whom in both trades seem to be lacking in an education in the English language.

I do not intend to give up, I shall continue to endeavour to use correct words and terminology even if people cannot understand me  (like the dimwit in a certain BR freight business just over 20 years ago whose competence in English language did not extend to the difference between 'affect' and 'effect' and who therefore got rather confused when I answered what he had actually asked as opposed to what he thought he was asking).

• Like 4

To play devil's advocate, I can remember the phrase of train station used for many years. Perhaps not a railway saying but one thts been in use for a while

Back in the early/mid 1960's, everyday our school bus passed what we all knew as "the Train Station".

Living in outer west London in the 1970's, I recall the phrase "Train Station" being a common description for the local and other stations.

I don't think it's a recent trend at all.

"Train Station" isn't an incorrect term, it's more an issue of differing common usage.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I agree. It really is a railway station, and not a 'train station'... :sungum:

/rant mode on

Why do you think you are correct and other people are not?

I heard the term being used in the late 1960's, nobody got on their high horse then and started belly aching it was a crime to use it.

Only on RMWeb do we seem to get the "holier than thou" attitude.

English evolves (and don't say it is an Americanism we've imported, because it's not)

/rant mode off :jester:

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Off-topic? In a 178-page marathon on Dawlish, is this really the place for the best part of a whole page rehashing the well-worn discussion of train stations?

(There, I said it, train station train station train station!).

You're quite right. Back to the sea wall please.

Wrist duly slapped! :nono:  :blush:

• Like 1

Ok then,

back to the seawall

where well "trained" men have not been "derailed" from doing a good job!!   :jester:

Seawall between Dawlish Station Viaduct & Boat Cove & the tunnels

crew busy rejointing the vertical face of the walkway

I say rejointing,  as opposed to repointing   

as they appear to be cleaning out the joints to at least 9" deep  

using a wooden batten to ram the mortar in well deep

post-22449-0-59540700-1418828994_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-95297500-1418829023_thumb.jpg

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 11

I have been keeping an eye out for you for the last few months, not seen you yet though!

In the summer I was usually wearing a bright emerald green fleece

but now its colder I have to wear a drab olive parka with hood

not on a scooter at present but on an electric wheelchair

What  prime mover do you pilot?

• RMweb Gold

/rant mode on

I heard the term being used in the late 1960's, nobody got on their high horse then and started belly aching it was a crime to use it.

English evolves (and don't say it is an Americanism we've imported, because it's not)

Keith

Sorry Keith, but you made me do this.... :P

smug mode on/

Because I know I'm right!

smug mode off/

;)

• Like 6

/rant mode on

Keith

Its not just RM, other model railway forums have the same discussion every now and again.  Same arguments exactly and there are several letters to magazine editors on the same subject.

FYI, don't blame America this time; its not train station so much any more, now it Amtrak station!

Brian.

• Like 2

What  prime mover do you pilot?

Normally its very buslike, sometimes they let me loose on a 150, but when I have been really really good they let me play with a 158, I havent been very good lately! :nono:

If I see anyone in a wheelchair or a mobility scooter they will get a toot and a wave, I am bound to get it right eventually. :sungum:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Could be for a sewer etc outfall or possibly simply as an aid or warning of something for the tug bringing in materials. I can only find a very small scale chart on the 'net but there does appear to be a line in that vicinity which could well be an outlet pipe.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

For a day or two there has been what looks like a marker buoy

out to sea to the left of the Jacking barge

pic from NWR webcam

attachicon.gifDEC 18th NWRPic 9.21.jpg

anyone ideas as to its specific role?

Might be there to mark where the second platform is to come in. It has recently been delivered by road to Teignmouth docks, in component form, and is being assembled there, prior to being towed out to site in the New Year.

Might be there to mark where the second platform is to come in. It has recently been delivered by road to Teignmouth docks, in component form, and is being assembled there, prior to being towed out to site in the New Year.

well, thats 8 to 10 days work of    even with  reading the assembly instructions,  

if its as big as the present one

Edited by Granitechops

Was told recently by an orange clad operative ( did not see the writing on the back of his suit)

that when the precast units are in place & fixed

then  concrete will be pumped down from Exeter road

as previously, down Riviera Terrace and then under the railway by culvert

to infill as needed,  his words " they will be pumping night & day"

If that is the case that would mean traffic lights on Exeter road as previously

to provide an off loading pumping area

as when the washout site was filled in

watch that space!!

• RMweb Premium

Was told recently by an orange clad operative ( did not see the writing on the back of his suit)

If that is the case that would mean traffic lights on Exeter road as previously

to provide an off loading pumping area

as when the washout site was filled in

watch that space!!

Does this mean that the big red spidery thing is going to make a final appearance?

Jamie

• Like 1

Does this mean that the big red spidery thing is going to make a final appearance?

Jamie

Doubt it,  as that was used only when track was not in use

would probably not be allowed unless there was possesion 

but if there is a culvert no need for extra expense of an arial boom pumper

Up on Exeter road in  a cordoned off part of one carriageway

the concrete could be fed into a hopper from mixer lorries,

that feeds a non red spider concrete pumper into pipes down the access road & under the rails through a culvert 

so concrete could be pumped continuously even when trains were running

I should think that once the precast units are in place,

they would want to fill it in as quickly as possible for maximum strength

probably be quicker, as then gravity would enhance the pumping effort

the red spider would have to expend a lot more energy (& time? slower?)

to pump the concrete vertically uneccessarily

• RMweb Gold

This is correct, in fact the concrete may be pumped in from both directions. Every five segments of pre-cast 'L' sections, once fixed in place on the lower walkway, will then be back-filled with concrete and also provided with steel reinforcement.

if its as big as the present one

No it isn't

Quite a bit smaller

its a Red 7 Marine Jacking barge, but  cant see any name or model identity

poor lighting conditions this morning

looks like it  has thinner jacking legs than Seariser 4 thats already off Dawlish

and they are about 27 mt long

interesting quote from Red 7 Marine web site

http://www.red7marine.co.uk/news/2013/red7marine-invests-in-new-jack-up-barge-haven-seariser-3/

About Haven Seariser 3

" "In terms of the technical details, the jack up barge is of a modular design with overall dimensions of 29.3m x 17m x 2.44m. The platform is built out of 15 units, 4 jacking systems and 4 connectable spud legs.  The vessel has a maximum deck load capacity of 250 tonnes and a point load capacity of 5 tonnes per square metre. Individual spud legs with a total of 36 metres in length, made up of three jointed lengths of 12 metres. 

The combined features of sectioned spud legs and the individual modular units, based on standard ISO containers, provides customers with tangible benefit of assisting Red7Marine in keeping mobilisation costs to a minimum. " "

Anyway, this is what I saw in Teignmouth docks this am 

post-22449-0-99861700-1419263823_thumb.jpg

still got the lifting/ guiding strops on top of the legs

residents said it appeared some time last friday

& obviously it did not take that long to assemble if id did come by road

post-22449-0-42495600-1419263942_thumb.jpg

meanwhile back in Dawlish with favorable tides, concrete was being transferred

by dumper along the beach to fill in the space vacated by the removed container

post-22449-0-38457800-1419264122_thumb.jpg

Notice that there is very little plant left on the upper walkway nearest the camera now

was informed that work will cease tomorrow for the holiday

I did notice a large lorry load of serious scaffold parked in Exeter road yesterday

looks like the concrete pumping might NOT be pumped down Riviera Terrace Access road

but closer to Dawlish Station over  a private property? or maybe a strip of Railway land?

anyway it was right opposite the Roman Catholic Church 

• Like 1