Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

The RTC would have been the 'white heat of technology' back then. Such a shame it's now just rented offices now.

Thanks again Dave

Just noticed there are still semaphores present, for some reason I thought the power box was before 69

Edited by russ p

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photos of Derby today. The second photo of a class 120 DMU shows typical weathering of the white cab roof. Why they were finished in white when they weathered like that must forever be a mystery! The glass fibre of the cab roof should surely have been painted black from the start, not just in later years.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Why they were finished in white when they weathered like that must forever be a mystery! The glass fibre of the cab roof should surely have been painted black from the start, not just in later years.

Painted white to limit heat build up in the cab due the greenhouse effect with the increased amount of glass. Drivers were complaining of drowsiness following a life on the footplate. I read it it some design manual.

P

The RTC would have been the 'white heat of technology' back then. Such a shame it's now just rented offices now.

Thanks again Dave

Just noticed there are still semaphores present, for some reason I thought the power box was before 69

Still some railway companies there tho :)

Thanks again Dave

It was about June '69 when the colour lights were commissioned.

Brendan

Thanks again Dave

I went to a meeting at RTC in about 1985 (not really railway related but 'industrial powder diffraction') and lunch was served on LMS branded crockery with magnificent LMS sterling silver cutlery.   I wonder what happened to it??

Bill

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello Dave,

C295, any more on the coach in the background?

I've had a look in Cartwright and Russell's book on the WLLR (David and Charles, 1977 ISBN 0 7153 8151 2).

It states that in September 1969 a former Eastern Region (actually a Thompson LNER) 1st class sleeping car, E1260E was purchased for volunteer accommodation.  So I think that is the coach in the photo.  I've had a look and don't seem to have any other further photos of it, not have I found any with a quick search on the web. The coach was built at Donaster  to Diagram 359, my Preserved Carriages book (Lloyd and Brown, pub SLP) states it was built in 1950.  

This book also states it was later replaced on the WLLR by BR 2536, a 1957 built SLSTP, also from Doncaster , Lot No. 30245 to Diagram 10.

Before 1969 they had 2 coaches which had been placed there by the GWR for storage purposes which were converted for volunteer accommodation, seen in the photo below.

post-5613-0-30678700-1461938127_thumb.jpg

Llanfair Caereinion Earl running round Aug 69 J1833

Hope this helps.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 15

Thanks for the research on the coach Dave, I thought it looked like a Thompson design, the ventilators in the vestibule doors are a sound clue. Beyond that I didn't realise Thompson sleeping cars had been b/g.

Thanks again.

• RMweb Gold

Lovely photos of W&L Dave

We passed through recently en route to Portmadoc - I was trying to explain to SWMBO how the railway used to cross Raven Square .... would you have any shots of that please?

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Lovely photos of W&L Dave

We passed through recently en route to Portmadoc - I was trying to explain to SWMBO how the railway used to cross Raven Square .... would you have any shots of that please?

Cheers

Phil

Sorry, I was too late to get any shots of the line in Welshpool and never got around to looking at where it used to be.

David

• RMweb Gold

Even today the boom gates at Redcar only close off the railway on one side of the road. When you think about it a barrier crossing doesn't close the railway off at all

J4447: I wonder how many times each day the gates were closed (to the road) to allow shunting?   The lack of gates in J4448 surely violates safety rules?

Bill

It was a fully gated crossing till the works closed. Daves clever pic just doesn't show them.

8445599976_47f0cf47d5_c.jpgWD Gordon and 43106 shunted over Masons Arms Crossing Shildon by David Shevels, on Flickr

8451490176_27d0792833_c.jpgStirling single No 1 being moved over Masons Arms Crossing Shildon by David Shevels, on Flickr

and the gates on the opposite side:

4930106967_96a0592f95_z.jpgRail 150 August 26-31 1975 The Shuttle with 41241 in charge at Masons Arms Crossing. by Mike Hutton, on Flickr

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 14

Hi David, very nice shots of Derbyshire stations.

Sad to see Alsop en le Dale going up in flames in 1969. Around 1962 my alma mater Nottingham High School (the Gormenghast on Arboretum Street) used the station as a geography field study centre. The buildings were used as a dormitory and I think a kitchen. I don't know if they rented it from BR or the National Park, but it looks like the Tissington Trail put paid to the buildings.

After a very long hiatus (like 50 years??!!) I've re-established contact with a couple of "geographical" old fellow pupils so I will ask them what happened. Certainly the school had enough cash to buy the buildings......

• RMweb Gold

So where are the boom gates in the earlier picture, did they fold out of the way as in that picture those gates look like security ones for when the works were shut on a weekend

Great road vehicles,if the hunter and cortinas swapped colours, Gene hunt could be paying a visit

Edited by russ p