Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Great photos as always dave

And again!... At the time the photo was taken,not a second thought about the ford anglias etc in the foreground! Which now really becomes something to look at!

Cheers

Ben

That catch point could be for run away trains, but worked by the signalman, rather than being sprung points

So if you were the signalman in the unenviable position of setting the route for the valley bottom you may have questioned why this catch point couldn't have been either somewhere west of the viaduct or east of the station to make clearing up the mess a bit easier?

• RMweb Premium

Like the photo with what I presume if the line to St Ives on the embankment behind the 31. And a heavy load for the 31 as well - I wouldn't have wanted to be on the train behind it.

Edited by brushman47544

J2458 will be a class 46 as the train is Air-braked.

J2459 is more likely to be the 12:29SO KX-Huntingdon (if the photo was taken on a Saturday)

1L16 was the 13:20 KX-Leeds/Bradford in the 1970 photo and the same train retimed to 13:10 in the 1974 photo

5D30 was 11:55MO Ferme Park to Doncaster ECS

• RMweb Premium

Good grief, Sandy has changed; I was through there last Saturday (non stop so it was a very brief glimpse).

That 31 on the 'mixed' freight is a classic. Look at the 'weathering' and the variety of wagon/van.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

J2459 is more likely to be the 12:29SO KX-Huntingdon (if the photo was taken on a Saturday)

1L16 was the 13:20 KX-Leeds/Bradford in the 1970 photo and the same train retimed to 13:10 in the 1974 photo

Mark,  

Many thanks once again.

Monday would make sense for the Sandy photos, I was on my way to Essex to find some digs until a flat I was going to rent was ready

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark

It is a class 46, it has plain doors on the battery boxes. The battery boxes on the refurbished class 45s have a X shaped pressing on them, otherwise it is hard to tell apart refurbished class 46s and 45s. All class 45s were also air-braked in the end.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What excellent photo's of the ECML at St Neots and Sandy. I would have thought the train to Huntingdon would have been a DMU. Obviously I am wrong about that!

The freight hauled by a 31 is a classic and full of interest, including, as mentioned, the weathering on the 31. It would make a good modelling project.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

What would be the need/reason please?

Wrong type of coal/wrong type of industry depending on which side of the Pennines you were standing.

To generalise, power station coal went westwards, and steel industry coal went eastwards, domestic coal made runs either way depending on the contract in force at the time, pits didn't produce coal willy nilly, it was all tendered for and flows adjusted accordingly.

Mike.

• Like 2

Wrong type of coal/wrong type of industry depending on which side of the Pennines you were standing.

To generalise, power station coal went westwards, and steel industry coal went eastwards, domestic coal made runs either way depending on the contract in force at the time, pits didn't produce coal willy nilly, it was all tendered for and flows adjusted accordingly.

Mike.

Thanks Mike, explanations are always better than just a statement. :)

• RMweb Gold

What would be the need/reason please?

Mike.

I've had another look at my Woodhead photos and looked in a few books.

Most of the photos show coal heading west, a few show coal eastbound.

It is possible that my photo C631 is in fact empties, I've enlarged my original scan and am not sure whether it is loaded or empties.  My notes suggest it was loaded, but 45 years is a bit too long ago for me to remember whether I wrote the notes at the time or from my memory after I got the slides back from the film processor.

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi David,                                                                                                                                                                                                        As someone who only found this site a few weeks back, I like many before me wish to thank you for all the time and trouble that you have gone to for all for us ,loved your dads old black and white photos and on your collection we just don't know which era you will post.              I stayed at a certain line side hotel last week just north of York an area from where you have plenty of photos ,like others there I was thinking of all the verity that is now missing,  all freight class 66 hauled,  three car Trans- Pennine units on what were yesterdays main line services ,and that's where I admire you in the fact you point your camera and record everything ,common sights today but tomorrows history !       Some of my favorite photos are Man Victoria ,Crewe and the Woodhead line ,did you ever get to Guide Bridge?                                      Thanks again      Dennis

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,                                                                                                                                                                                                        As someone who only found this site a few weeks back, I like many before me wish to thank you for all the time and trouble that you have gone to for all for us ,loved your dads old black and white photos and on your collection we just don't know which era you will post.              I stayed at a certain line side hotel last week just north of York an area from where you have plenty of photos ,like others there I was thinking of all the verity that is now missing,  all freight class 66 hauled,  three car Trans- Pennine units on what were yesterdays main line services ,and that's where I admire you in the fact you point your camera and record everything ,common sights today but tomorrows history !       Some of my favorite photos are Man Victoria ,Crewe and the Woodhead line ,did you ever get to Guide Bridge?                                      Thanks again      Dennis

Dennis,  

Many thanks for the comments, I'm pleased you are enjoying the photos. Both Dad and I took photos of just about everything that came along, within the limitations of our film budgets.

I quite often went past Guide Bridge on the train between 1968 and 1972 but never got around to taking any photos there.

Looking at my notes I took photos at 2162 locations while I was using slide film, up to 2003.  That figure includes my photos in Europe.  I've never counted the places Dad got to.  So there are quite a lot of places I never got to.

David

• RMweb Gold

What great shots of New Mills, Pleasley and Renishaw. They give the "feel" and atmosphere of the time.

Even your pics without trains bring the memories back.

Thanks again for doing this thread.

Lovely to see some of the old Buxton-based 104s in J1734. It was always easy to identify them from the white cab roofs. At the time I used to think that it was just a bit of Buxton personalisation, like the later Stratford silver roofs etc. I'm beginning to wonder now if this was actually an early application (as they are currently doing with the Class 91s) of an idea to reduce cab temperatures by reflecting the sunlight - after all, the 104s contained a lot of glass at the front!