Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of Steamtown, Carnforth. Good to see how 1306 was back in 1976 in the post war LNER green livery.

A good mixed set of photos in the second batch. The unit in that first photo is a class 104 BRC&W set. Roof vents, body tumblehome, the saloon windows and the cab design all make it different from a class 108 Derby lightweight.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Hi David

J1745, the locomotive is a Bagnall or a Brush 0-4-0. It has outside cranks common on Brush locos and electric transmission, some being built by Bagnall. NBL shunters were hydraulic and had a jackshaft drive.

• RMweb Gold

Ji1745 is a Brush 200hp 0-4-0DE

Hi David

J1745, the locomotive is a Bagnall or a Brush 0-4-0. It has outside cranks common on Brush locos and electric transmission, some being built by Bagnall. NBL shunters were hydraulic and had a jackshaft drive.

Many thanks,  I was very doubtful about Dad's notes on that one and was hoping someone would know what it really was.

David

Edited by DaveF

C1775 looks like a close coupled unfitted train, going by the class 8 head code, and the 2 open ab wagons as the 3rd and 4th wagon. Having just check I don't think any of the air braked open wagons were ever fitted with through vac pipes, although some of the air braked vans were through vac piped.

C1775 looks like a close coupled unfitted train, going by the class 8 head code, and the 2 open ab wagons as the 3rd and 4th wagon. Having just check I don't think any of the air braked open wagons were ever fitted with through vac pipes, although some of the air braked vans were through vac piped.

The following types of early air-braked BR stock had vacuum-pipes fitted from new:-

COV AB (VAB/V)

OPEN AB (OAB)

STEEL AB (SAB)

Examples of the earliest bogie steel type, the BAA, were also piped. I suspect the earliest VCAs may have been so fitted.

When these vehicles were entering service, in the 1969-71 period, the air-braked services were very limited; there was a Bristol- Glasgow working, followed by a Llandeilo Jct- Whitemoor- Wisbech one. Any traffic going beyond these routes would have been forwarded by vacuum-braked services. As the air-braked network grew, vacuum-braked stock would acquire air-pipes- examples included various bogie bolster types, as well as some types of Palvan.

Edited by Fat Controller

The following types of early air-braked BR stock had vacuum-pipes fitted from new:-

COV AB (VAB/V)

OPEN AB (OAB)

STEEL AB (SAB)

Examples of the earliest bogie steel type, the BAA, were also piped. I suspect the earliest VCAs may have been so fitted.

When these vehicles were entering service, in the 1969-71 period, the air-braked services were very limited; there was a Bristol- Glasgow working, followed by a Llandeilo Jct- Whitemoor- Wisbech one. Any traffic going beyond these routes would have been forwarded by vacuum-braked services. As the air-braked network grew, vacuum-braked stock would acquire air-pipes- examples included various bogie bolster types, as well as some types of Palvan.

Brian

Although I generally agree I have never seen an OAA with a vacuum pipe. This photo taken when they were new doesn't have one http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/broaa/e104a5613

Going OT looking at my photos yes some VC did have vacuum brake, but I am not convinced that was from new, but a later conversion. I only have one VCB http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/vca/e30be8353 and it has the B painted later than the VC, there are several departmental versions which have vacuum brake.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent set of photo's of the ECML. I think that the 55 in J1616 is, if only going by the length of the nameplate, Meld. I think the number ends in a 3, but it is very difficult to be completely sure.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

1S93 from the formation I suspect has a wrong reporting number. I think it should have been 1S33 13:00SuO KX-Edinburgh.

I would actually query the date on this one. From 1st January 1976 the display of train headcodes had been discontinued and blinds were wound to 0000 and locked off (progressively). By February most had been done - although there was the odd exception. I'd be surprised to find a crew that were still setting them at all by April. Could it be an earlier photograph that has been misdated?

• RMweb Gold

I would actually query the date on this one. From 1st January 1976 the display of train headcodes had been discontinued and blinds were wound to 0000 and locked off (progressively). By February most had been done - although there was the odd exception. I'd be surprised to find a crew that were still setting them at all by April. Could it be an earlier photograph that has been misdated?

I have checked the date and it is correct.  Both Dad and I took photos of the train, both his slide catalogue and mine have the date as April 1976.  We always numbered our slides in date order, in both our catalogues the two images taken that day are preceded by Severn Valley photos and followed by photos taken at Butterley, both of which were visited in April 1976.

The other photo taken that day at Gamston has the blinds correctly set as  0000.

The latest ECML photo I have with a partial headcode is a 47 at Newark reading 1D00 in July 1976.

On the Great Eastern Main line Class 309s were still displaying the full headcodes in June/July 1976, as were almost of the suburban emus on both the GE and LT&S.  In the summer of that year a few loco hauled trains on the GE still displayed some letters and figures, though these appear to have been random.

At least some of the 313s on the Kings Cross services were still displaying full headcodes in March 1977 as were a few of the Liverpool St to Southend Victoria trains.  On the LT&S line they were very rarely set after February 1977.

I hope this is useful.

David

Thanks, David. That's certainly extended my knowledge - I hadn't appreciated that LT&S were still using headcodes that late (but at that time a unit-driven railway didn't really appeal to me for a visit). I don't recall seeing many on the GN suburban services but, again, that may well just be a lack of observation by me!

I was southern ECML based at that time and, having checked my daily spotting records from 1976, the last noted headcode sightings that I have were 20th March, where 47 458 was heading 1A21;  the 14th April, where 37 266 was observed running as 7T51/8T51 (rear) and 31 151 (towing DMU vehicles 50846, 56441 & 51472 - Stratford, Norwich & Finsbury Park based, respectively) showing 4P07;  plus 14th August when I recorded 25 284 showing 6V85 and 47 369 on 6E40 - which confirms that there were still the odd exceptions floating about later than I thought. Around mid-1976 I stopped recording headcodes (front and back), once 0000 became established, apart from any exceptions.

Off the ER I only noted the Westerns, all wound around to show their fleet number, and a couple of locos - both on the Western - showing headcodes, during the late summer of 1976, plus a Class 86 showing 5D56 at Euston. Of course, the class 50s later carried an abbreviated version of their number (dropping one of the zeros) as well.

The most interesting photograph that I have from the time, showing a headcode, was of 47 484 "ISAMBARD KINGDOM BRUNEL" with the blinds showing DVFF - someone clearly with a sense of humour!

Edited by 35A

J1740 - the unit is a right mixture. 110 nearest the camera, something different (or possibly another 110 car) in green in the middle, and furthest away looks like a Met-Cam by the depth of the windows...

Edited by talisman56

J1740 - the unit is a right mixture. 110 nearest the camera, something different (or possibly another 110 car) in green in the middle, and furthest away looks like a Met-Cam by the depth of the windows...

Agree! The front car is definitely a Met-Cam, although whether a 101 or 111  is difficult to say. The middle car is either a BRCW 104 or 110. My money would be on a 110, as is the rear driving car. Once again a fantastic collection of photos over the last few pages of posts. Many thanks for sharing with us. 

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Fascinating Derbyshire photos. Sad to see that station being burned down. Was there no other way of going about things?

The DMU in the last photo is a good mixture! The rear car, as stated is a 110 DMCL. Then the middle car, in green, is also a 110 car - the surrounds to the saloon windows are the give away. And then indeed the leading car is Metro-Cammell which as stated is impossible to tell whether it is 101 or 111.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Must be showing my ignorance - DVFF?

The most interesting photograph that I have from the time, showing a headcode, was of 47 484 "ISAMBARD KINGDOM BRUNEL" with the blinds showing DVFF - someone clearly with a sense of humour!

Hi, Dave. Fascinating Derbyshire photos. Sad to see that station being burned down. Was there no other way of going about things?

The DMU in the last photo is a good mixture! The rear car, as stated is a 110 DMCL. Then the middle car, in green, is also a 110 car - the surrounds to the saloon windows are the give away. And then indeed the leading car is Metro-Cammell which as stated is impossible to tell whether it is 101 or 111.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

This is what led me to suggest that the centre car may be a different class, as from the angle of the photo the windows look slightly deeper and have different surrounds to the Class 110 DMS. Then again, that could be the yellow stripe on the green livery...

Edited by talisman56