Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

This is what led me to suggest that the centre car may be a different class, as from the angle of the photo the windows look slightly deeper and have different surrounds to the Class 110 DMS. Then again, that could be the yellow stripe on the green livery...

I agree. I thought the window had a raised surround to them and thus do look deeper as a result, making it a 110. 104's where flush around the windows. In green livery they seem to stand out more than on the blue.

Paul J.

• RMweb Premium

What a lovely church building that is in the Ashbourne Goods Yard photo. I suspect that might still be there. :stinker:  St. Oswold's.

It does not look as if anything has been built in the old part of the yard nearest the Church from the photo here

st-oswalds.jpg

Great shots again David. I really like the film colour from that era. It is how I would do my scenic colours on a layout for the area but would then be incorrect as to the prototype's look I suspect.   

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 5

What a lovely church building that is in the Ashbourne Goods Yard photo. I suspect that might still be there. :stinker:  St. Oswold's.

It does not look as if anything has been built in the old part of the yard nearest the Church from the photo here

The church was still there yesterday. There's a new hospital been stuck somewhere in the foreground though.

• RMweb Premium

The church was still there yesterday. There's a new hospital been stuck somewhere in the foreground though.

A new Hospital.........I can forgive that 100%. Land like that would normally be used for a supermarket. (Clevedon Station *Tescos, Bath Green Park (Sainsburys?) and 72A Morrisons for example).

There must be hundreds of others.

Sorry David, I won't hijack this thread too much, honestly.

P

*Edit after correct info later in the thread. Thanks Talisman. 

Edited by Mallard60022

A new Hospital.........I can forgive that 100%. Land like that would normally be used for a supermarket. (Clevedon Station Tescos, Bath Green Park (Sainsburys?) and 72A Morrisons for example).

There must be hundreds of others.

Sorry David, I won't hijack this thread too much, honestly.

P

The Clevedon Station replacement supermarket was initially a Safeway, then Morrisons and is now vacant, with possibly a BM store taking over. Tesco's in Clevedon is about a mile along Ken(n) Road at the junction with the ring road. The area of car park at the side remote from Ken(n) Road is either built on, or adjacent to, the old trackbed of the GWR branch line (as distinct from the trackbed of the WC&P...).

BGP is now definitely a Sainsburys store.

Edited by talisman56

Thanks, David. That's certainly extended my knowledge - I hadn't appreciated that LT&S were still using headcodes that late (but at that time a unit-driven railway didn't really appeal to me for a visit). I don't recall seeing many on the GN suburban services but, again, that may well just be a lack of observation by me!

I was southern ECML based at that time and, having checked my daily spotting records from 1976, the last noted headcode sightings that I have were 20th March, where 47 458 was heading 1A21;  the 14th April, where 37 266 was observed running as 7T51/8T51 (rear) and 31 151 (towing DMU vehicles 50846, 56441 & 51472 - Stratford, Norwich & Finsbury Park based, respectively) showing 4P07;  plus 14th August when I recorded 25 284 showing 6V85 and 47 369 on 6E40 - which confirms that there were still the odd exceptions floating about later than I thought. Around mid-1976 I stopped recording headcodes (front and back), once 0000 became established, apart from any exceptions.

Off the ER I only noted the Westerns, all wound around to show their fleet number, and a couple of locos - both on the Western - showing headcodes, during the late summer of 1976, plus a Class 86 showing 5D56 at Euston. Of course, the class 50s later carried an abbreviated version of their number (dropping one of the zeros) as well.

The most interesting photograph that I have from the time, showing a headcode, was of 47 484 "ISAMBARD KINGDOM BRUNEL" with the blinds showing DVFF - someone clearly with a sense of humour!

This is an interesting one. It is 47014 at Reading in the spring of 1976 which has had its headcode deliberately wound to show an approximation to the loco number. - a la class 52s. 

Very thoughtful from a spotters point of view.

post-4474-0-65367800-1461771619_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

J1428.

In the WTT there is a 7M74 which was the 0815 Hull to Colwick. It was quite a common thing on the ER in those days to alter the initial number depending on the make up of the train in the originating yards.

The return working was 7N05.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Interesting photos. I like the weathering of the 37 in the first one, it would be good to see a model weathered exactly the same as that.

In J2515, I see there are two CK's. Was this a multi-portion working?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Cotham Class 37 D6830 from Newark towards Bottesford Sept 68 J1428

Don't the EE Type 3 / Class 37 look great in Green Small Yellow panel (GSYP) ?

That is also the only picture I have seen of anything on that line (but I don't get out much). Smashing shot. Part of the old line can be walked I am told.

Phil

Not so many locos and  trains to be seen in today's second batch.  You may think that some are a little bit off the beaten track.

They are all Dad's photos, taken in June 1969, probably on a Saturday.

attachicon.gifRenishaw Iron Works North British shunter No 23 June 69 J1745.jpg

Renishaw Iron Works Brush 200hp shunter No 23 June 69 J1745

David

Sorry to drag you back to the past, but I've managed to find my old IRS 1st edition book from 1969. In it for Renishaw Iron Works it lists 4 Brush/Bayer Peacock 0-4-0 Diesel Electric locos on site. They where numbered 21-24 with works numbers, Brush 339-341 & 443 and Bayer Peacock 7946-7948 & 7873 respectively. Nos 21-23 where built in 1961 and No 24 in 1962, hence its non-sequential Brush/Bayer Peacock works numbers compared with the first 3. That makes No 23 as built in 1961, Wks No Brush 341/Bayer Peacock 7948.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to drag you back to the past, but I've managed to find my old IRS 1st edition book from 1969. In it for Renishaw Iron Works it lists 4 Brush/Bayer Peacock 0-4-0 Diesel Electric locos on site. They where numbered 21-24 with works numbers, Brush 339-341 & 443 and Bayer Peacock 7946-7948 & 7873 respectively. Nos 21-23 where built in 1961 and No 24 in 1962, hence its non-sequential Brush/Bayer Peacock works numbers compared with the first 3. That makes No 23 as built in 1961, Wks No Brush 341/Bayer Peacock 7948.

Paul J.

Paul,

Many thanks for the information.  Your IRS books go back a lot further than mine.

David

Hi, Dave. Interesting photos. I like the weathering of the 37 in the first one, it would be good to see a model weathered exactly the same as that.

In J2515, I see there are two CK's. Was this a multi-portion working?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Rob, 

At the moment I haven't the faintest idea about the working, I've just copied Dad's notes.   I even had to look up Donnington Road, which is actually on the GN and GE Joint between Sleaford and Spalding.

After a bit of thought I suspect it wasn't multi portioned.

David

This is an interesting one. It is 47014 at Reading in the spring of 1976 which has had its headcode deliberately wound to show an approximation to the loco number. - a la class 52s. 

attachicon.gif47014 RG 3:76.jpg

Lovely illustration of the letter O variant of headcode blinds which is distinct from the numeral 0. There was also a version where the O character was identical to the number 0.

Edited by 50A55B

Paul,

Many thanks for the information.  Your IRS books go back a lot further than mine.

David

Rob, 

At the moment I haven't the faintest idea about the working, I've just copied Dad's notes.   I even had to look up Donnington Road, which is actually on the GN and GE Joint between Sleaford and Spalding.

After a bit of thought I suspect it wasn't multi portioned.

David

No, I don't think it was either. It was just one of those Cinderella services which tended to be at the back of the queue (to use a contemporary cliche) when it came to stock allocation.

For many years it ran to Colchester in the summer, and only Lincoln in the winter months. I think it was of use to military personnel from bases across East Anglia and Lincolnshire. Presumably there was a requirement to have a certain amount of 1st class seating, and if a vehicle had to be removed for any reason the replacement(s) could be anything which was spare in the carriage sidings.

• RMweb Premium

Cotham Class 37 D6830 from Newark towards Bottesford Sept 68 J1428

Don't the EE Type 3 / Class 37 look great in Green Small Yellow panel (GSYP) ?

That is not just any Type 3 but it is the Tri-ang loco (Ok it is a picture of the real one) :locomotive: :locomotive:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That is not just any Type 3 but it is the Tri-ang loco (Ok it is a picture of the real one) :locomotive: :locomotive:

Not only that but it looks like it still has its WR pattern cow horn lamp irons - later these were bent through 90 degrees to accommodate ER lamps

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=D6830&view=detailv2&&id=CFE4EF82E323128010E61ADBEBFCB00CF8759A0E&selectedIndex=5&ccid=ZRBVT%2fww&simid=608034204625473039&thid=OIP.M6510554ffc30ebe755b9cd92266656d1o0&ajaxhist=0

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif47014 RG 3:76.jpg

Yes, except it was such a rare practice would we have believed it. I'm not sure I would have counted the 47 as a spot based on the headcode panel alone.

Yes, except it was such a rare practice would we have believed it. I'm not sure I would have counted the 47 as a spot based on the headcode panel alone.

If it was one you wanted and all you could see was the headcode panel...? :) :nono: :locomotive:

Edited by talisman56

If it was one you wanted and all you could see was the headcode panel...? :) :nono: :locomotive:

We thought it was great when railfreight started adding the last 3 figures of the loco number on the yellow front; although in my later experience the biggest advantage with that idea has come from identifying locos pictured in old slides/photographs. It is such a shame that IC never did the same.

I have lots of slides captioned "47/8 near Didcot" because the loco is unidentifiable. :(

By complete coincidence, my picture of IKB was also taken at Reading, in almost exactly the same position, albeit on the nearer, platform road!