Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

A few photos on the ECML this evening.

attachicon.gifLittle Bytham Class 47 is it 1111 10.20 Kings X to Hull down Sept 70 J2383.jpg

Little Bytham Class 47 is it 1111? 10.20 Kings X to Hull down Sept 70 J2383

attachicon.gifLittle Bytham Class 55 9013 11.00 Kings X to Newcastle down Sept 70 J2386.jpg

Little Bytham Class 55 9013 11.00 Kings X to Newcastle down Sept 70 J2386

attachicon.gifLittle Bytham Class 47 down Kings X to LeedsOct 70 J2418.jpg

Little Bytham Class 47 down Kings X to Leeds Oct 70 J2418

attachicon.gifPeakirk Class 31 and Class 40 271 down cement Nov 70 J2448.jpg

Peakirk Class 31 and Class 40 271 down cement Nov 70 J2448  Peakirk is north of Peterborough.  I think Dad had been visiting the  WWT centre which used to be there and stopped to take a photo.

attachicon.gifOfford and Buckden Class 45 up cartics Nov 70 J2457.jpg

Offord and Buckden Class 45 up cartics Nov 70 J2457

David

Was the shot of Peakirk on the ECML or the loop line? Peakirk itself and its station were on the Spalding line, the first station beyond Werrington Jct

A few photos on the ECML this evening.

attachicon.gifPeakirk Class 31 and Class 40 271 down cement Nov 70 J2448.jpg

Peakirk Class 31 and Class 40 271 down cement Nov 70 J2448  Peakirk is north of Peterborough.  I think Dad had been visiting the  WWT centre which used to be there and stopped to take a photo.

David

Dave, Not cement presflo, but the larger dry fly ash version CSA - very common working to fill up the waste brick pits at Peterborough. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brflyashcsa

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A lovely set of ECML photos. In J2386 I can almost hear 9013 as she powers by on that express train with the carriages swishing by behind her. All so very nostalgic.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Was the shot of Peakirk on the ECML or the loop line? Peakirk itself and its station were on the Spalding line, the first station beyond Werrington Jct

Dave, Not cement presflo, but the larger dry fly ash version CSA - very common working to fill up the waste brick pits at Peterborough. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brflyashcsa

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for reminding me they are the fly ash wagons.

Rangers,

To be honest I'm not now certain whether it was on the ECML or the loop line.  Dad had a habit of noting a nearby village/station when he catalogued his images, now and then it is hard to tell if he meant the station (or very near it) or the general area. 

I'm not sure if the fly ash trains used the lop line to Sleaford.  The only ones I remember seeing around Peterborough were the ones from Ratcliffe on Soar power station, which could use the Midland line to get there - so it could even be on that line with a wrongly written place name.  I've looked at the other places he went to that day which were all around Peterborough so that's not too helpful.

Does anyone know which lines the flyash trains used in 1970?

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Peakirk would presumably have been on the loop as the line passes through the village - unless it also had a station on the mainline route (a quick check on 'Disused station' confirms that it was on the loop.   To anyone who worked in a booking office up until the late 1960s the name would (should?) be pretty familiar as it was a named location in the 'Book of Routes' and was actually a routeing station for ECML tickets (thus making them available via the longer Loop line route as well as the later, shorter, direct line between Peterborough and Doncaster).

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure if the fly ash trains used the lop line to Sleaford.  The only ones I remember seeing around Peterborough were the ones from Ratcliffe on Soar power station, which could use the Midland line to get there - so it could even be on that line with a wrongly written place name.  I've looked at the other places he went to that day which were all around Peterborough so that's not too helpful.

Does anyone know which lines the flyash trains used in 1970?

David

I have a 1970 WTT and yes, West Burton PS - Fletton flyash trains used the Joint Line through Spalding. There were 3 return trips Tue-Fri, 2 on Mondays and 1 on Saturdays. There were also a similar service from Ratcliffe on Soar.

• RMweb Gold

I have a 1970 WTT and yes, West Burton PS - Fletton flyash trains used the Joint Line through Spalding. There were 3 return trips Tue-Fri, 2 on Mondays and 1 on Saturdays. There were also a similar service from Ratcliffe on Soar.

Then I think the photo is on the loop line somewhere near Peakirk station.

Many thanks.

David

Yes, the flyash trains were a regular sight on the GN&GE between Spalding and Sleaford from about 1967 onwards (not sure when they started running up the ECML, but they certainly were 10 years later).  A class 40 was not a common loco for that working though, as 31s or 47s seemed to monopolise them when I was sitting by the lineside.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Nostalgia aplenty from Morpeth today. Lovely photos of everything in blue, grey and yellow. That class 37 in the snow in C5616 is showing how snowy that January was after the very cold and snowy December of 1981. And with the roads snowy and iced up, it must have been quite a job to get to the trackside that day.

Then in C6318, there is a good close up of a class 101 unit. You can see the strengthening below the passenger doors on the solebar. I had forgotten all about them!

The HST's look their best in blue, grey and yellow.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It is incredible that the HST is still running after so many years, just shows how good we could be at building trains. Saw one at Bath Spa today on a service from London to Weston super Mare whilst waiting for all stations including request stops back to Weymouth.

• Like 1

There is actually a Notts Forest cricket club. I recall reading somewhere about train crews watching the match while stopped on the bridge over the Trent which is now the Lady Bay road bridge. I can't post a link from my phone but googling it will show that they're still active and a very keen group of sportsmen!

Edited by great central

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent set of photos of Grimsby docks. You can see that when wagons are loaded with timber like those in that first photo, that the timber always has to be loaded the same way round. The enlargement gives further clarification. I suppose it is basic common sense.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

C4557 - are they destination boards in the centre of the coach sides? and slot-in-able letters towards the ends?

They are destination boards, 

See Clive Mortimore's post below (post7543) for details.

Edited to remove an inaccuracy and to point readers in the direction of the right answer.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see a Griddle unit in action - and quite a late use I think for destination boards.

Presumably this unit was in a train that split on the down journey? (I forget the details of the services which did this)

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some very good photos of the GEML today. Classic views of those trains hauled by 47's and 37's, such key locos on those services. The class 312 in the next to last photo shows yet another cab window treatment!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

C4557 - are they destination boards in the centre of the coach sides? and slot-in-able letters towards the ends?

Nice to see a Griddle unit in action - and quite a late use I think for destination boards.

Presumably this unit was in a train that split on the down journey? (I forget the details of the services which did this)

Hi David and all

The small holders were for coach letters. I am building a 10 car set at the moment and was wondering how a Walton set would be lettered as I cannot find a clear photo of the last coach in the set. The big question was "I" used or not. A&B were the two car set at the London end, and C,D, E (Buffet) and F were the Buffet/ Clacton (309/2) set. All confirmed by photos. Also confirmed by photos are the Driving Trailer Semi-open Composite and the Non-driving Motor Brake Second as G and H of the Walton (309/3) set. What I cannot find is photos that show if the Trailer Second Open was "I" or "J" and the country end Driving Trailer Semi-open Composite was "J" or "K"?

I have found one photo that shows the country end Driving Trailer Semi-open Composite of a Walton set as coach "A" but for some reason this unit was facing London (the wrong way round), confirmed by the buildings at Shenfield station not being turned round. 

As for a Buffet set working on its own at Marks Tey, this was unusual, from memory there were a few mid day 4 car workings. Most down trains until the late 80s were split at Thorpe-le-Soken, with the same station playing host to the up trains being combined. It was normal for the Buffet set to be the London end with or without a 2 car set in front and the Walton 4 car to be the country end. After the 2 car (309/1) sets were increased to 4 car sets and the Buffet cars withdrawn the combinations altered on what seemed a daily basis.

Yes, the flyash trains were a regular sight on the GN&GE between Spalding and Sleaford from about 1967 onwards (not sure when they started running up the ECML, but they certainly were 10 years later).  A class 40 was not a common loco for that working though, as 31s or 47s seemed to monopolise them when I was sitting by the lineside.

It wouldn't have been much earlier as they weren't built before 1965 and were part of the MGR revolution.

Paul