Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

C179 looks like a painting by one of my favourite artists, D F Dane.

Regarding the awkward passenger, my experiences are that females in cars can usually be FAR more awkward and way more aggressive than males, whether driving or passenger.

Just my two penn'orth.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the photos, and the last one is a real classic of the HST.

The incident you had in the morning seems all too symptomatic of the way things are these days. Hopefully the respray will have your car looking good once more. But I know that it has left a sour taste that will,take a while to go.

Very best regards,

Rob.

1A21 was the 11:00 Newcastle-KX. The return working was the 17:05 KX-Newcastle via Sunderland. Interestingly the 5th vehicle is a BG. The first 4 coaches are noted in the Carriage Working Notice as for the use of Durham, Darlington & York passengers. The BG was marked for priority van traffic for intermediate stations in the down direction, so possibly explaining the positioning within the set.

1A20 was the 11:10 Leeds-KX. The return working was the 17:30 KX-Bradford with the last 3 coaches (first 3 in the photo) a Halifax portion.

• RMweb Gold

J3693 - what a fantastic shot of a loaded freightliner back in the day

My own memory was that these trains were not just standard containers - and so this picture proves

Many thanks for sharing Dave

Phil

Thanks for the pics as ever!

Regarding your car incident, I'm afraid it's a direct outcome of the American import; where there's blain there's a claim, even when it's obviously the aggrieved person's fault :(

:offtopic:  warning

I have installed front & rear facing dash cameras just in case 'cos I really don't want to have to b*gger about if it happens - it's your fault Matey and I have it on camera etc etc .............. like the stupid, cretinous, woman driving (well attempting to drive) a Range Rover yesterday who decided to ignore both the road markings and Highway Code and pull out in front of me yesterday in Upavon. The first she realised I was there was when I had slammed the anchors on and stopped inches from her passenger door with my horn blaring and the air blue ......... watching the replay was fun - didn't realise I could swear so fluently :laugh_mini:

Anyway good luck with the insurance claim and on with the trains .....................

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

thought it was 1538, but some of the photos i was comparing with had the different early blue livery, with cabside numbers and arrows behind the cab doors. Class47.co.uk entry has no mention of blue livery as 1538, just as 47011

brushverteran's flickr has pics of it with the numbers as shown in J3107, but no arrows! https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6263062647/in/album-72157627649152349/

However, it does seem to have retained the slight horizontal dent in the cab front! (just to the right of the LH bufferbeam step)

Edited by keefer

J3693 - what a fantastic shot of a loaded freightliner back in the day

My own memory was that these trains were not just standard containers - and so this picture proves

Many thanks for sharing Dave

Phil

The NE- South Wales trains always seem to have carried a lot of keg beer from either Edinburgh or Tyneside. IIRC, the loads were secured with a sort of green large-mesh netting, looking a bit like an over-scale hairnet. The containers were standard designs; Roger Silsbury lists the following in a chapter in Michael J Collins' 'Freightliner-Life and Times':-

Type C(2)  30' Flat, 8'6" wide

Type H      20' Open, one fixed end

Type J(1)  27' Open- one fixed end

Type J(2)  20' half-height Open

Type K      30' open, one fixed end

Type T      20' flat for steel coil

Type W     20' Open (modified H-type with load-bearing sides)

Type Y      30' open  (modified K-type with load-bearing sides)

Some of these had been built as part of the original Freightliner build of containers, and were later fitted with corner Twist-locks, others were built with them. They were, however, non-ISO conformant.

Apart from keg beer, they were used at various time for reeled paper from Corpach, aluminium slabs from Fort William and Lynemouth and bricks from Calvert to London and North-West England (the 'Flet-liner')

The model that Triang-Hornby issued in the 1960s, which was a Type H with sides in place, was a reasonable model.

Nottingham Class 31 down grain and Class 45 up ecs March 75 J4184

Very nice, showing two of the ex LMS grains that Bass Charrington purchased. I hadn't realised they would work with BR owned wagons. Bachmann have produced the BR version of these Bass wagons but I'm not aware that the LMS grain has been available as a model. One of each type is conserved at Butterley but painted (back) into a BR grey with fictitious numbers made up partially with their Bass numbers.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Nottingham Class 31 down grain and Class 45 up ecs March 75 J4184

Very nice, showing two of the ex LMS grains that Bass Charrington purchased. I hadn't realised they would work with BR owned wagons. Bachmann have produced the BR version of these Bass wagons but I'm not aware that the LMS grain has been available as a model. One of each type is conserved at Butterley but painted (back) into a BR grey with fictitious numbers made up partially with their Bass numbers.

Paul

Also in the background of that pic, London Road Low Level in it's parcels depot guise.

Mike.

The NE- South Wales trains always seem to have carried a lot of keg beer from either Edinburgh or Tyneside. IIRC, the loads were secured with a sort of green large-mesh netting, looking a bit like an over-scale hairnet. The containers were standard designs; Roger Silsbury lists the following in a chapter in Michael J Collins' 'Freightliner-Life and Times':-

Some of these had been built as part of the original Freightliner build of containers, and were later fitted with corner Twist-locks, others were built with them. They were, however, non-ISO conformant.

Apart from keg beer, they were used at various time for reeled paper from Corpach, aluminium slabs from Fort William and Lynemouth and bricks from Calvert to London and North-West England (the 'Flet-liner')

The model that Triang-Hornby issued in the 1960s, which was a Type H with sides in place, was a reasonable model.

The beer kegs were also a common load on the trains going to Stratford FLT from the north. I was told it was Newky Brown that was in them. The trains often were "raided" by the locals between Dalston Jcn and Victoria Park, as it was common held at signals there. The car trains from Dagenham also used to be plagued with thefts of the car radios in the same area as well.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Midland photos. A great selection of views. The first one is most interesting, with a 31 and those bulk grain wagons. C3219 reminds me of how wet that winter ended up. I believe the fooding was quite extensive in many places.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Best of luck with the car park incident Dave - I don't want to dishearten you but mine took over a year to sort out because the silly woman who reversed into me lied her heart out forever and a day.  In the end the insurance company finally contacted the second of the witnesses whose name I had given them but only because he had dropped me a line to see if everything had been resolved and was amazed when I told him it hadn't.  He duly confirmed to the insurers that I had reversed first and was stationary, with the passenger door open for my wife to get in, when the daft woman in the other car reversed straight into me.

The silly woman (I vcan think of far less complimentary terms) then refused to give her name, address and insurance details so I refused to move my car leaving hers trapped.  She then 'treatened' to call the police so I told het to get on with it - police actually attended and nicely asked me to move and I said I'd be happy to do so if the driver of the other vehicle would comply with the Road Traffic Act and give me her details. The coppers then realised what was happening and why I wouldn't move my car so gave her a ticking off and told me to keep my car where it was until she did what she was supposed to do - I enjoyed that bit but thought very little of her lieing her head off for 12 months or more.

• Like 4

When I worked in South Wales in 1970 I was always surprised that so many of the village pubs were Scottish & Newcastle. Mind, once you've had a pint of Brains in 1970 it was hardly surprising - especially as our local in Splott wouldn't even allow a woman in the bar!

Paul

• RMweb Gold

When I worked in South Wales in 1970 I was always surprised that so many of the village pubs were Scottish & Newcastle. Mind, once you've had a pint of Brains in 1970 it was hardly surprising - especially as our local in Splott wouldn't even allow a woman in the bar!

Paul

Nowadays the trouble is getting them out of the bar...