Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

A coach or two? Can I have some Rother Valley Railway 4-wheelers then please? That will be me sorted, but I'm not sure most people would find a use for them. A dozen or two coaches would probably be enough to cover every livery it's being produced in!!

I do so hope Dapol announce a new loco soon, and a few coaches would go down well to go with the terrier. some pre BR would be great news.  I should think that we will eventually get a small loco from all the pre BR companies. Any guesses what will come first ?

I do so hope Dapol announce a new loco soon,

I should imagine that the 08 is probably Dapol's priority with regards to O gauge at the moment. And given how many years their foray into the 7mm loco market has taken, I wouldn't expect any announcements until any possible future projects are well under way. 

Potentially, 7mm scale is a wholly different market than 4mm scale. Most people only have a small space in which to work. For home layouts there is much to be said for: pre-group (generally smaller trains and smaller locos, the more so the further you go back) light railways (ditto) industrial railways (just traditional wagons, generally) minor branch lines (often worked by ancient locos and stock up to the 60s)  and shed/TMD scenes, which can be anything. 

I am not sure that applying 4mm logic to the scale is going to work, funnily enough. Dapol's choice of the iconic Terrier was a wise one, IMHO. Huge choice of liveries, and suitable for any of the above settings - bar the post steam versions of the applicable choices. Following it up will be more difficult. But good luck to them. 

For the same broad reasons I think the 08 is an excellent choice as well. Most of the modern versions of these settings will certainly accommodate one. 

I should imagine that the 08 is probably Dapol's priority with regards to O gauge at the moment. And given how many years their foray into the 7mm loco market has taken, I wouldn't expect any announcements until any possible future projects are well under way. 

I agree here. If I recall correctly (but might well not!) there were originally going to be 3 locos from the initial 0 Gauge foray by Dapol - so we've had the Terrier, are expected the 08 which is to be followed by...? Anyway, as Kev states, given the length of time it has taken to bring things to the market I cannot imagine any further announcements soon. Clearly the plus side is that anything new presumably won't take over 4 years to appear!

Potentially, 7mm scale is a wholly different market than 4mm scale. Most people only have a small space in which to work. For home layouts there is much to be said for: pre-group (generally smaller trains and smaller locos, the more so the further you go back) light railways (ditto) industrial railways (just traditional wagons, generally) minor branch lines (often worked by ancient locos and stock up to the 60s)  and shed/TMD scenes, which can be anything. 

I think standard gauge light railways are a massive potential market in 7mm scale. Given the space constraints many face they make perfect subjects with the afforementioned short trains and lack of rules! Also, it should help manufacturers in producing locos and stock which could be used nationwide. Recycled/secondhand stock were the norm on many lines and very similar locos, wagons and coaches could conceivably cover a period from the early 20th Century through to the 1950s. It easily means that stock from any of the pre- and post-grouping companies could be used - a light railway may have bought a handful of wagons for instance from any one of them and they would have very rarely been repainted or re-branded because of lack of money.

As an example... The Ixion Hudswell Clarke, a couple of 4-wheel coaches and a handful of generic wooden bodies wagons (Dapol bargain bin anybody?) and you'd be up and running! I think standard gauge light railways also offer the ideal modeller's motto of rule one... My layout, my railway, I'll run what I want!

• RMweb Premium

Standard gauge light railways are of course great fun in 7mm scale, I'm on my second layout in 4 years and the Terrier (and the Ixion locos) are ideal motive power. I suspect the Beattie well tank was the third planned Dapol loco. I'm susprised they have not announced a GWR 14xx 0-4-2T. But I suspect a lot of people would like a r-t-r 03 or 04 diesel to run diesel era. But if you want 4 wheel coaches, you'll have to build them or mooch around the second-hand (as I did) because there is no sign of any r-t-r items! Lets see what is announced at the G0G event on 5 March....

Dava

• Like 1

I agree here. If I recall correctly (but might well not!) there were originally going to be 3 locos from the initial 0 Gauge foray by Dapol - so we've had the Terrier, are expected the 08 which is to be followed by...? Anyway, as Kev states, given the length of time it has taken to bring things to the market I cannot imagine any further announcements soon. Clearly the plus side is that anything new presumably won't take over 4 years to appear!

Suspect that the Terrier was pretty much thrown away and started again from scratch, similarly for the 08 which would suggest a fairly quick development time.

Be interesting to see what they do next. Think Ixion / Minerva have a good head start on industrial locos and not sure that Dapol would want to compete for that market directly. Maybe a Jinty would be a nice choice.

All the best

Katy

I know what I would suggest. One of those open-backed Midland 0-6-0 tanks. The only snag is that to do all the liveries you would have to have a parallel boiler version as well as a belpaire. But the lovely Midland red livery (abandoned circa 1907) would appeal to the 'ain't it pretty' market, while the other versions would cover everything up to 1967. The open cab gives a proper view of all that lovely interior detail. You could even do a closed cab version as well, in which form it's similar to but different from a 'Jinty'. 

The beauty of this is it doesn't compete with industrial (Ixion/Minerva) nor yet GWR (Lionheart).

Only my idea, mind.

The problem with almost any prototype other than a Terrier is that they were confined pretty much to one area of the country. A Pannier is the exception (Folkestone and the far north of Scotland), but why compete with Lionheart? A 1F tank would be lovely, and so would a J72, but they have limited potential geographically and a Beattie well tank is even worse. It's a real problem for manufacturers. I can't think of any loco that could be used as widely as a Terrier or an 08 which is presumably why Dapol went for them first. 

I suppose looking at Colonel Stephens, an Ilfracombe goods would be the ideal choice but how many modellers even know what one of those was?!!

Peter

• RMweb Gold

I suppose that's why Ixion and Minerva are going for industrials that were used anywhere. With the amount of colliery, light railway and industrial lines modelled though you can be fairly free with the 'what if'. If the Titfield thunderbolt could use Lion and a GWR tank then J72's, 1F & 3F's aren't too much of a leap ;) there certainly was a Jinty or 1F in industrial use too.

I agree, the geographical thing is a problem. My reason for suggesting the Midland tank was that the Midland was a big railway with 'branches everywhere' and the locos were (very) long lived. Having said that it is not as ideal a prototype as the Terrier, and off-hand I can't think of one that is, which may well be why the Terrier was chosen.

There may yet be scope for more industrials, but at some point the diminishing returns thing will show up. I have two, but I would be pushed to justify three. It would have to be something I could not resist (like Bellerophon) or something so amazing that it would persuade me to sell on one of the existing. (And give that both have barely turned a wheel, it would have to be pretty amazing to persuade me.)

The other option of course is to go for something iconic like the Beattie well tank. A lot of people would buy one of those whether they had a need for it or not, as it's so pretty. But (in my view) it's a risk as the cost of 7mm stuff means that people are less likely to buy on impulse. 

All in all, a tough decision, and I'm glad it isn't mine to make. 

Just as long as it's not something that's of any use to me. I made a firm decision when I started in O gauge to only buy one loco, RTR or kit, and everything else would have to be scratchbuilt. That's why I've currently got two Terriers and an Ixion Hudswell Clarke :scratchhead:.

I would love to see a J72 produced but, for the geographical reasons already stated,think it is unlikely. The 'iconic' shout is a good one. (Stuck record time but...) I am biased but it is why I am always amazed that nobody has ever taken a punt on a proper J70/Y6 Wisbech and Upwell tram (I am aware of the former Skytrex model). Yes they were geographically limited to the line and a few East Anglian dock locations but they have undoubted potential as great generic light railway locomotives and, possibly more crucially,the 'Toby' factor would surely mean they would well in bucketloads! Surely they'd be a fantastic resource for 7mm scale? I am obviously missing something mind...

I think it is essential for any new loco to have hauled passenger trains as well as goods and shunting. Together with the need for widespread geography I reckon the sensible choice is the Jinty. But does it tug at the heartstrings though?

Ed

I would choose the LSWR Drummond O2 0-4-4 tank, as it's such a delightful little engine and I would love one.

The O2 tanks were very long-lived, there are lots of livery options, plus the IOW variants, and they had a much wider geographical distribution than the Terrier, for example.

So there's my vote . . .

John

You can only paint it black, it's a non starter. The 1F can at least be crimson lake........the trouble is they only worked passenger trains on the Dursley and Worth Valley branches.

Maybe S&DJR blue as well depending on who you believe.

However the 1F and Jinty are quite similar; bit more difference than the A1 and A1X with a different wheelbase. With a bit of cleaver design it should be possible to share a fair bit of tooling between models of both.

All the best

Katy