The Mill

Nice horsie. The Big Four handed on 9,193 horses to the BTC in 1947 - horses were then still being used extensively in shunting, and two of the last, at Newmarket, were withdrawn only in 1967. We don't seem to see too many on layouts.

• RMweb Premium

Next show is Leeds in October but next year we're at Rochdale (twice - club show and skills day) and a few potential others yet to be finalised.

• RMweb Premium

A couple more wagons finished; a 20 ton hopper and a three plank wagon. The 20 ton hopper has a few replacement planks, some time ago by the looks of them (copied from a photo on Paul Bartlett's site, albeit when they were in internal NCB use. The three plank is meant to represent an unpainted wagon.

Hopefully the wood effect is convincing enough from a distance.

I also painted the wooden interiors of a few others but the weathering is yet to be finished so not worth photographing yet.

post-9707-0-32525500-1464034864_thumb.jpeg

post-9707-0-59783200-1464034903_thumb.jpeg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

A couple more wagons finished; a 20 ton hopper and a three plank wagon. The 20 ton hopper has a few replacement planks, some time ago by the looks of them (copied from a photo on Paul Bartlett's site, albeit when they were in internal NCB use. The three plank is meant to represent an unpainted wagon.

Hopefully the wood effect is convincing enough from a distance.

I also painted the wooden interiors of a few others but the weathering is yet to be finished so not worth photographing yet.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

A little more rust on the iron work... Given the age compared with the planks??

Just a thought for discussion

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy. The 20 ton hopper is a Slaters / Coopercraft kit and the three plank is a Ratio one.

Andy / Stu, I did contemplate distressing the ironwork more but was fearful of it looking over-cooked. I thought I'd put a tiny drop of paint on each rivet head (a swine of a job if trying to avoid getting it on the planks and making them therefore seem huge) but it seems I missed a few or maybe inadvertently wiped it off them (also a pain).

Hiding the glossy transfers was a pain too, mat varnish did some of it but not all so I had to dry brush them with grot too. The other wagons waiting in the wings are in bauxite and although I cut the transfers as close as possible to the letters and numbers, there is still a tiny amount visible. Weathering should work for those as it did on the others I've built and finished.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

We've not done much recently, other than finishing off even more rolling stock but in the last week or so, I have managed to finally finish off the RSH; weathering, number plates and coal added. The weathering is a mixture of gun blue (on the coupling rods), washes of enamel (Matt black and Leather mixed) and powders.

Not perfect but I am relatively happy that it now depicts a grubby, unloved and hard worked industrial tank loco.

post-9707-0-45724300-1470260403_thumb.jpeg

post-9707-0-11642100-1470260444_thumb.jpeg

• Like 15

We've not done much recently, other than finishing off even more rolling stock but in the last week or so, I have managed to finally finish off the RSH; weathering, number plates and coal added. The weathering is a mixture of gun blue (on the coupling rods), washes of enamel (Matt black and Leather mixed) and powders.

Not perfect but I am relatively happy that it now depicts a grubby, unloved and hard worked industrial tank loco.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Nice job Jason, well done mate.

• RMweb Premium

The RSH looks good, a nice purposeful looking loco and a suitably grubby finish. Have you considered washing off or cutting back some of the weathering where hands, feet or clothing might have wiped it a bit clean; maybe around the cab and the tank filler? The odd little clean patch might emphasise the rest of the weathering.

• RMweb Premium

I did think about that Mark, including whether to add streaks where overflow from the tank filler would have run. A bit of gunmetal or similar on the steps wouldn't go amiss either.

Oh, and it looks like I need to revisit the wheels as they are a bit shiny.

I did think about that Mark, including whether to add streaks where overflow from the tank filler would have run. A bit of gunmetal or similar on the steps wouldn't go amiss either.

Oh, and it looks like I need to revisit the wheels as they are a bit shiny.

And you need a really lustrous piston rod which contrasts dramatically with the otherwise dull and dreary appearance of a careworn, unkempt machine.

Cheers,

BR(W).

• RMweb Premium

When you look at photos of industrial locomotives you will see some are reasonably well kept and others are filthy and maybe carrying signs of damage.

Unlike the mainline stock there is a greater connection between the crew and the locomotive since this is the one they drive every day. It's cleanliness is down to the crew and not the cleaning staff at the shed.

What I have noticed is that different industries locomotives come with different standards of cleanliness.

The most poorly cleansed and most damaged are steel works locomotives

Collieries can be reasonably clean

Docks and power station locomotives appear quite clean

General industry and quarries are very varied, big fleets like Stantons are less well maintained than one loco one site type arrangements.

By clean I mean wiped over with an oily rag, the shiny bits polished etc

I think there are a few factors at play:

How busy the locomotive and its crew are. If there is standing time between movements there is a greater likelihood of a clean.

Is it your loco? If the same crew and only that crew use that locomotive day after day there is also a greater chance of assumed ownership and therefore pride in the machine. The steelworks could run big fleets around the clock so different crews and therefore feeling less responsible for the vehicles condition.

The environment, is this a place of dirt, grime, chemicals etc, there is less incentive to clean something that can't stay clean

Finally and less consistent would be the companies culture, the immaculate look of Bass and Worthington's who's locomotives spent a lot of time in the public eye might be an example were a good public face was considered important.

As for your locomotive at the mill, you can make it as clean or dirty as you want, this could be a well cared for machine by the same blokes or part of a bigger network serving multiple mills - who knows what happens off scene

Andy

• Like 1

I've only just caught this thread and have to say what a fantastic layout this is. Apologies If I've missed this in the thread but how did you do the inlaid track? That is amazing! Also is the digger by the coal drops a kit?

Regards

Steve

• RMweb Premium

We inlaid the track by building it all using PCB sleepers and bullhead rail and then using L section brass (with the 'L' facing inwards). This created a constant check rail and also allowed us to add card between the L sections, which was then covered in Redutex cobbled sheets (suitably painted up). The advantages are that you don't see the edges of the card / cobbles, and you also have a constant check rail. I did plan to do the same with the goods yard on Bacup but had already gone too far with a different (scruffier) method.

The front loader by the drops is a Langley whitemetal kit of a Fordson.

A lovely layout Jason. You excel at everything you do.

On another matter, was there ever such a thing as a 'typical grimy industrial'? Perhaps it all started in the 1960's with model railway articles about filling an odd corner of the layout with 'a private siding and a freelance grubby industrial tank'. My only contact with industrials was at an iron works and beside the Manchester Ship Canal, and those locos were clean compared with the BR examples passing on nearby tracks. The really grubby locos appear to have worked in iron or steel works pushing wagons into hot and spark-throwing places. 

Edited by coachmann