Just caught up on your thread Rob. Liking the look of outwool already! 

I read about your health issues, a few years ago I had health stuff go on and looking on here, your's was among my "go to" threads that gave me a lot of inspiration and distraction from my outside world so I'd like to wish you all the best and I hope things improve soon for you. 

Take care

Steve. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Lovely job, you wouldn't imagine it's lineage being as old as we are. I have always liked those Airfix wagons, they remind me of when I first started thinking model railway instead of trainset oval, I bought a couple of box vans and a couple of Mainline opens and they looked like proper finescale models compared to the Hornby / Lima / Farish items of circa 1980.

Edited by MrWolf
Typing with hind paws again...
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Lovely job, you wouldn't imagine it's lineage being as old as we are. I have always liked those Airfix wagons, they remind me of when I first started thinking model railway instead of trainset oval, I bought a couple of box vans and a couple of Mainline opens and they looked like proper finescale models compared to the Hornby / Lima / Farish items of circa 1980.

Hi Rob, 

Yes, they were a real leap forward and I think the mouldings hold up well these days. As you rightly say, model railway as opposed to trainset. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Rob, 

Yes, they were a real leap forward and I think the mouldings hold up well these days. As you rightly say, model railway as opposed to trainset. 

Rob. 

What? Are you saying my KitKat, Prime Pork, Fishfingers and Polo wagons aren't realistic??

• Like 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

What? Are you saying my KitKat, Prime Pork, Fishfingers and Polo wagons aren't realistic??

Morning Pencarrotstein.

They'll look great behind your Panini tank....very foody. 

SB

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Rob, 

Rob. 

With the glaring exception of the 10' wb 7-plank, I consider that Airfix wagons and coaches really marked the beginnings of the RTR standards we enjoy today, though it took a good while for Hornby to catch on. The body moulding of the 1977 Airfix LMS van remains massively superior to the current Bachmann equivalent.

Mainline wagons were somewhat less satisfactory, though their Mk1 RB was probably THE landmark model of its day. It's only the glazing in this year's release of the same vehicle by Hornby that represents a significant improvement after 40 years.

Although not entirely perfect mechanically, locos from both represented great leaps forward in "scale" appearance. I was completely blown away by the Mainline BR4 4-6-0 in particular. I still have my first one, though it's now on a Bachmann chassis.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Notwithstanding all the recent excitement about the release of the Bachmann 94XX and the Model Rail-Rapido 16XX, for example (other recent RTR releases are also available), I remember being extremely excited when Airfix and Mainline first appeared on the scene in the mid-1970s.

I remember buying a J72 on behalf of a friend and being really impressed prior to having to hand it over. It wasn't long before I bought myself a Standard 4 4-6-0. An Airfix 61XX followed and then most of the subsequent GW releases.

The Standard 4 is still in service as part of my OO S&D roster, although by the time I got round to detailing and weathering it, nearly 20 years after initial purchase, the split chassis had pretty much given up the ghost and I resorted to replacing it with a Comet chassis, which it still has.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

With the glaring exception of the 10' wb 7-plank, I consider that Airfix wagons and coaches really marked the beginnings of the RTR standards we enjoy today, though it took a good while for Hornby to catch on. The body moulding of the 1977 Airfix LMS van remains massively superior to the current Bachmann equivalent.

Mainline wagons were somewhat less satisfactory, though their Mk1 RB was probably THE landmark model of its day. It's only the glazing in this year's release of the same vehicle by Hornby that represents a significant improvement after 40 years.

Although not entirely perfect mechanically, locos from both represented great leaps forward in "scale" appearance. I was completely blown away by the Mainline BR4 4-6-0 in particular. I still have my first one, though it's now on a Bachmann chassis.

John

Completely agree on the RB. I still have a couple although I no longer model in 4mm.  Their other Mk1's were pants by comparison. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

That long ago.

I didn't know they did model railways that long ago. I thought that they started quite recently like 2009

You learn something new everyday.

:P

To compensate I seem to forget something else every day.