East Coast Main Line to Virgin Trains East Coast

I wonder what those dignified 91 locos think of all the different tatty strips they've had to wear down through the sordid franchise years.

Also do they have carry around a dead weight of paint - or are they all vinyls that just get stuck on then peeled a year or so later?

dh

• RMweb Premium

Initially they will be vinyls, after all you can't repainted a whole train in two days! But as the trains come due for painting in their regular maintenance schedule the livery will be painted on, although this may not happen before the IEPs come along and the majority of sets are withdrawn. I think most of the Mk4 sets have been repainted in the last five years or so, so won't need doing again before they retire. Not sure about the HSTs.

• RMweb Premium

I saw my first partial relivery this morning whilst driving into Leeds at about 09.00 with a DVT passing in front of me with a large Virgin vinyl on it's side as it set off to London.

Jamie

Also do they have carry around a dead weight of paint - or are they all vinyls that just get stuck on then peeled a year or so later?

There isn't much difference between the paint and vinyls

Where (complete) vinyls are fitted the paint is stripped and a sealant undercoat only is applied

Where paint is fitted then four coats are required

There are two main contractors used by the TOC for the supply and fitting of Vinyls

Ironically, this is almost the same as is used on HGV

As Harry Hill would say, I like this livery and I also like this livery................but which one is best?

I have my own view but as most of this thread is now just ' I don't like this', ' I do like this' I'll refrain from posting........

I'm sitting in the sun with a V & T and wondering whether to start a debate on El RMWebo ( Portuguese forum ) about the the livery on this piece of transportation:

post-7045-0-73864100-1425486658.jpg

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with the new livery its bright makes a statement that we are new and have new ideas for the service and I hope that when a passenger sees these units arriving he or she will think that looks good I want to ride on this train .When the interiors get brightened up this will be good,. last time I travelled on the EC I thought how dull and claustrophobic it all was plus it was dirty hope they have more on train cleaners and good servicing at the terminus.

• RMweb Gold

I saw my first partial relivery this morning whilst driving into Leeds at about 09.00 with a DVT passing in front of me with a large Virgin vinyl on it's side as it set off to London.

Jamie

This is what the partial livery looks like on a DVT.

82222 at Doncaster on the rear of 1D12, 11:35 London Kings Cross to Leeds on 2nd March 2015.

Also on the 2nd March 2015, here is the partial livery on HST power car 43272 which had just arrived at Leeds with 1D13, 12:03 London Kings Cross to Leeds. 

Looking at the Class 91 and Mark 4 DVT, and the carbon weathering present

Has the material used for the carbon conducting strips on the Class 91 changed?

I don't remember this being such an issue in InterCity days (when the Class 90, Mark 3 DVT, and Class 91 were new)

Edited by mjkerr

• RMweb Premium

However the post also says that the next 91 won't be in full livery but 91105 was photographed in full livery yesterday

No, it doesn't. It says the next 91 SET ....

VTEC has told me that the next 91 set will emerge in the new livery during the first week of April, with the first HST set ready in May.

Both fleets will be finished in August.

Edited by Richard E

In common with most Vermin related enterprises, the phrase "all fur coat and no knickers" immediately springs to mind.

Am currently on a Northbound HST and there's already Virgin paraphernalia everywhere, yet at what cost? There still seems to be a lack of decent nosh and vino on the drinks trolley.

I can only wonder when DaFT will follow the route of standardised liveries with minimal operator logos so as to save the unnecessary nonsense of aggressively re-branding stations and stock every few years/new franchise.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who still seriously laments the passing of GNER.

Here at FGW, we are awaiting our first vehicles to be out shopped in new DfT spec livery soon.

I like the new colours - not too strippie. Can't believe the similarity to the Swiss one !

Edited by Cornish Triang Paul

I had to go to Leeds today from Huntingdon. Caught the 9:52 East Coast from Peterborough and the 14:45 back from Leeds. Not much sign of Virgin on the way north but the train back had big bright red swooshes on the sides, quite a shock walking on to the platform at Leeds, discrete it's not. It didn't look like the pics posted here. It was just bright red half way along the carriage side. No text.

There must have been about 50 spotters at Doncaster taking pics.

Never mind the branding the ride both ways was terrible. So bad that the chap opposite me commented on it. We were both trying to work and having difficulty typing.

Bob

• RMweb Premium

Caught yesterday morning on my way up to delivering things to Peterborough North.  Only just managed it thanks to a cloud playing silly wotsits.

82200 Stevenage 4-3-15 (V19223) by TimEaster, on Flickr

Travel experience no different to usual (as I expected) and just as prompt as before.  At least I had two HSTs for my travel.

Cheers,

Tim

Blimey, that makes it look German for some reason.Maybe the DB Red likeness?

Phil

Only 50.....that's less than usual.

P

• RMweb Premium

I had to go to Leeds today from Huntingdon. Caught the 9:52 East Coast from Peterborough and the 14:45 back from Leeds. Not much sign of Virgin on the way north but the train back had big bright red swooshes on the sides, quite a shock walking on to the platform at Leeds, discrete it's not. It didn't look like the pics posted here. It was just bright red half way along the carriage side. No text.

Never mind the branding the ride both ways was terrible. So bad that the chap opposite me commented on it. We were both trying to work and having difficulty typing.

Bob

Ride quality is naff all to do with sticking a vinyl on the side of the train. I agree that, at times, it is difficult to type and multiple key hits are a regular experience lately.

Several possible causes:

1. Train maintenance quality - has it been done on time and faults corrected. Have damaged or life expired items been replaced.

2. Track maintenance - What quality is the work done to, is it done on time or is it almost due

3. Natural causes - has the route been affected anywhere by subsidence or localised washouts that are pending rectification.

Apart from the train maintenance which, I suspect, was cut to the bone by DOR when the franchise was awarded, none of this is within the control of the TOC.