Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

Well after editing the fat finger on a smartphone errors in the previous post I'll answer this one.

I've never actually modelled a rake of tanks before but I really wasn't keen on a samey rake of farish TEAs. The scratchbuilt rake of wagons I hope will provide something a bit different for the spectators and something a bit different and special for me to make.

Edited by RBE

Ok looking at pictures of the TIA it appears that it has a tank barrel that drops lower in the centre compared to the ends.

post-6894-0-73945300-1442335519_thumb.jpg

I guess I'm going to have to make the barrel in 3 parts with the ends slighly off of 90° and glued together. Should be fun. I could do a 3D print but wheres the fun in that?!

I'm not so sure Cav, I thought the barrels were straight? The shape of the catwalk doesn't help matters, the angles of it do make it look sloped from the side. The lower edge of the end few feet may angle up slightly, and the sides of the same portion may angle in too, as this is standard shape on quite a few tanks. The roof level though is dead level to my eyes

Edit to add, the chemical tanks in the same number range and similar looking are a depressed centre design though.

jo

Edited by Steadfast

Hmm I dont think your eye is right on that Jo. There is a definite change in angle exactly where the weld is on the tank. Look at this pic, you can clearly 100% see the change in angle if you look at the walkway. It never changes in thickness but certainly changes angle.

post-6894-0-27001000-1442353048_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE

This is on the GE Services website, the current owner of the TIAs, however I am not sure if this is actually the same wagon!

http://www.gerailservices.com/fileadmin/user_upload/specs/tankers/GE307PetroleumContinental.pdf

It isn't; that one is for mainland European use only. The Class A tank is listed, but doesn't have a web-link to a Weight Diagram like the others for some reason. You could try contacting them and seeing if they have something; some organisations can be very helpful, provide you emphasise that you're only making models for personal use, and not on a commercial basis. The late-lamented Standard Wagon were very good; a simple note to them produced an A3 envelope packed to the gunwhales with drawings of the POA scrap wagon, along with a note from the Chief Designer, telling me to get in touch if there was anything else.

It can be easily missed Jo. Its very subtle, I would guess 1° at most. But I can see it so I have to model it. I also noticed on your photo like that the Murco ones also have a fall at the ends.

Alex those pics are good. The 3rd one is right in the middle of the other tanks I have planned.

That drawing isn't the same tank. That one has a single crank in the barrel right in the middle. The ones we are looking at has a level centre section with a crank each end.

It isn't; that one is for mainland European use only. The Class A tank is listed, but doesn't have a web-link to a Weight Diagram like the others for some reason. You could try contacting them and seeing if they have something; some organisations can be very helpful, provide you emphasise that you're only making models for personal use, and not on a commercial basis. The late-lamented Standard Wagon were very good; a simple note to them produced an A3 envelope packed to the gunwhales with drawings of the POA scrap wagon, along with a note from the Chief Designer, telling me to get in touch if there was anything else.

Thanks Brian for clarification.

It can be easily missed Jo. Its very subtle, I would guess 1° at most. But I can see it so I have to model it. I also noticed on your photo like that the Murco ones also have a fall at the ends.

Alex those pics are good. The 3rd one is right in the middle of the other tanks I have planned.

That drawing isn't the same tank. That one has a single crank in the barrel right in the middle. The ones we are looking at has a level centre section with a crank each end.

No worries, as Brian says it is probably worth dropping them an email to see if they would send you some drawings. It all helps!

In other news. Look what just came back from Shapeways! It's my 3D printed VEA van body. Its designed to fit the PECO 10ft chassis. I think it looks pretty good on there for anyone wanting to upgrade the poor peco effort and I'm sure the chassis could be modified to better match the VEA if thats the route. I am also working on a chassis specifically to fit this body should it be a specific buy rather than upgrade. Needs painting still but not bad I dont think. The layering is visible but could be sanded off very carefully. I didnt on this one as I was keen to look at it.

post-6894-0-20293000-1442422344_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Well a direct scale up would of course be 4 times the cost however you would make the walls proportionally thinner for 4mm scale so you'd save material there. I'm not sure that in OO it would be worth producing as there is a kit available and also the incorrect Hornby version.

Edited by RBE

Small update on the 60. Just started putting the decals on. Still need to add the orange cantrail stripe and the nose numbers but its definatly looking the part. I have chosen 027 as it was allocated to Immingham back when new and you cant get the names from Shawplan either so it wont be a common one on the circuit.

post-6894-0-05758100-1442509056_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

That VEA looks very nice.

I remember you discussing the idea of producing one when you started work on Millers Dale.

Any idea on costs for the body only? I'm definitely interested in running them to replace earlier wooden bodied types, though probably on the standard 10ft chassis to keep costs down.

Alan

That VEA looks very nice.I remember you discussing the idea of producing one when you started work on Millers Dale.Any idea on costs for the body only? I'm definitely interested in running them to replace earlier wooden bodied types, though probably on the standard 10ft chassis to keep costs down.Alan

Hi Alan. 3D printing costs a few bob as shapeways stick labour on top of material cost. I single van body would work out about £12 if you are reusing the peco chassis and roof. The body is designed exactly as per the peco body so actually is a direct fit it actually needs no glue or fixings to hold on its such a good fit. The roof needs glue though but I might tighten that up a bit on the drawing so it fits tighter. If you are planning to purchase a lot though I can do you a multi wagon pack which reduces cost as they only charge labour per print rather than per item. If you let me know how many you'd need I can do you a quote.

Thanks Jeremy. The 60 is coming on. Just this minute its doing my head in though trying to apply cantrail lining transfers over the panelled roof! I thought the tiny front numbers were going to be bad!

Cheers for the info Alex. Looks like I'll be getting myself some clear decal paper to print up some FINA logos!

I have ordered aluminium tubing to make a start on the tanks. Have you ever felt that you have too much on!!

I think you will yes!

Now this will interest you Mr RBE! Clips from Burton on Trent.....

March 1991

47423 Light Engine

58047 empty HAAs

20177 and 20132 Light Engine

56009 Loaded MGRs

47976 on Mk2s

58032 empty HAAs

58023 Loaded HAAs

37510 and 37503 on BDAs

20104 and 20190 (both with snow ploughs) empty HAAs

37678 and 37680 on loaded Stone hoppers

58042 Loaded HAAs

58018 Loaded HAAs

I think you will yes!

Now this will interest you Mr RBE! Clips from Burton on Trent.....

March 1991

47423 Light Engine

58047 empty HAAs

20177 and 20132 Light Engine

56009 Loaded MGRs

47976 on Mk2s

58032 empty HAAs

58023 Loaded HAAs

37510 and 37503 on BDAs

20104 and 20190 (both with snow ploughs) empty HAAs

37678 and 37680 on loaded Stone hoppers

58042 Loaded HAAs

58018 Loaded HAAs

Now that's a lovely line up of proper motive power!