Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

Looks good to me! Cant wait to have a look. Ok I got the decals on the 60 sorted, just in time as I'm expecting some etches back tomorrow which include nameplates for 47550 and 60027 I hope plus some double arrows.

So I moved on to the office units. Started to add roofing supports and decided that the chopped off portion at the board edge was missing a trick by doing a black face. Instead I've decided that I will model the interior of the two floors of offices so that it appears to have been cut right through when the layout was chopped out of the miniature Burton on Trent. This means that you'll get a cracking view into them at the front edge of the board!

post-6894-0-20442100-1442529609_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Quick picture of the 60 with all of its decals on needs a satin coat now and the windows and buffer beams back on.

post-6894-0-99280500-1442607132_thumb.jpg

I have also received these etches back today that include the lovely nameplates for the 60 and the 47. I included a set of snowploughs for the duff too minus the centre plough as the coupler would be in the way of that one.

post-6894-0-79964700-1442607299_thumb.jpg

The VEA body is also now available on my shapeways site. Link below (RBE Concepts).

Edited by RBE
  • Like 6

They do look like they have brawn don't they. Certainly more modern looking than anything else at the time except probably the class 90 and 91. Even so I still think it looked even more modern than them. I actually think even more so than the 66s. There is certainly a different feel when you park one at the side of a 37 or 47 on the layout thats for sure.

Edited by RBE

They do look like they have brawn don't they. Certainly more modern looking than anything else at the time except probably the class 90 and 91. Even so I still think it looked even more modern than them. I actually think even more so than the 66s. There is certainly a different feel when you park one at the side of a 37 or 47 on the layout thats for sure.

The 66's do look dated already. The 60's still look like they are fresh out the works with their modern looks.

That 60 above was mainline blue and silver previously. I'm not so keen on that livery. Loadhaul was nice but I actually preferred it as triple grey with loadhaul branding and orange reminder triangles. That was a nice livery.

do you do those etches in 00 :)

What etches are you after buddy?

Quick picture of the 60 with all of its decals on needs a satin coat now and the windows and buffer beams back on.

attachicon.gif2015-09-18 21.10.26.jpg

I have also received these etches back today that include the lovely nameplates for the 60 and the 47. I included a set of snowploughs for the duff too minus the centre plough as the coupler would be in the way of that one.

attachicon.gif2015-09-18 11.13.24.jpg

The VEA body is also now available on my shapeways site. Link below (RBE Concepts).

Excellent work as ever Cavan - when will we be able to see all of this in it's entirety?

.....no rush as ever.

Ian

What the layout? I'm currently in a low production era of modelling as I'm committed to doing some decorating and such in the house plus othe RL stuff. However I am planning to get the trackwork completed over the weekend (for the scenic bits). As you have seen I am starting on the buildings now too so its kind of evolving simultainiously at the minute. Of course stock is as ever pushing on in the background too but that is a hell of a mountain I have ahead with massive trains that need building and weathering to an appropriate standard.

Well all track down and wired with droppers. I still need to dremel the breaks in the point sleepers and fabricate the tiebar on them but a big step forward. Shouldn't be too long before I can try a loco under power!

post-6894-0-74867200-1442764610_thumb.jpg

Also a bit more work on 47550. Plates on and ploughs on and primed. I will fabricate a small folded piece of etch that I can solder to the bottom of the DG coupling which will serve as the middle plough on each end.

post-6894-0-89079000-1442764625_thumb.jpg

The 60 also has its names and arrows fitted. Looks kinda rubbish in glossy finish though!

post-6894-0-40492100-1442764680_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 7

Hi Cav

Layouts coming on in leaps and bounds in all areas by the looks of things with the buildings, track and that absolutely delightful Class 60. She really is a beauty.

Thinking about the comments above the 60 is actually a newer design than the Class 66 in reality. The Class 66 body shell is 1985 vintage being born as the Class 59. Just the gubbins inside being more modern on the Class 66.

Cheers

Marcus

Cheers guys. Yes the track will be weathered as per Outon Road. I'm still toying with what to do about ballast colour. The modern station has quite light ballast, must have been replaced in the last few years or so. Photos from back in the day show a darker brownish colour to the ballast but obviously it gets light again whenever it is renewed. I think I may do 3 base colours to suit mainline, freight loop and yard. The yard will be fine dark brown material (I may even do stippled DAS for it) with static grass or fine grass flock to give it an overgrown look. It always seemed to have that. The freight loop will be a courser darker brown and main line a light grey or buff. Off course it will all be airbrush weathered too. I may even do an area on the freight loop that appears to have been refreshed to give a bit of interest and variation.