Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

Bit more work done on BoT tonight. The ballasting has been done on the northerly board and the lineside hut that I managed to wreck during ballasting (forgot to waterproof spray the brick sheet!) I have completely recovered in new brick. The loading bay has had a coat of frame dirt to kill the card top and give a good base for the scenics later. Again the track will get an airbrushing to represent track grime and oil. I will do one boards worth of airbrushing this week and then do the other board at the Mansfield show next weekend as part of the demo.

post-6894-0-31460800-1456529187_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Cav, I'm looking forward to seeing the progress next weekend mate, I'm there with West Shed.

Cheers Andy, will be good to see you at Mansfield. Feel like I haven't done enough really on BoT, especially since I started it a month before you started West Shed and you're done! Haha 

Coming along really nicely mate.

Thanks buddy.

Cheers Andy, will be good to see you at Mansfield. Feel like I haven't done enough really on BoT, especially since I started it a month before you started West Shed and you're done! Haha 

Thanks buddy.

Yeah but mines just RTR and a Metcalfe Kit just THROWN TOGETHER for a quickie, hahahha

C U next weekend, I can recommend the Bacon Baps.

• Like 1

Yes I was only kidding really, plus I don't do a lot of modelling these days due to other RL stuff.

Yes the bacon butties are great. I will also be troubling them for one of Ian's missus cakes, they are stuff of legend!

I bit more done. Added a rather overgrown look to the old loading sidings. These are used by the PW to store wagons and track machinery in these times. I may also assume usage as an overflow siding for the wagon repair depot (nowadays Nemesis Rail) . This would give my an excuse to park up none PW related stock. I still have a lot of trees to add begind the lineside hut and across the back of the old loading bay. I also need to scratchbuild and add the buffer stops.

Anyway class 37 37686 passes by on a single TEA tank. Quite pleased with how this is shaping up.

post-6894-0-05570600-1456648278_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 15

Thanks guys. It's always nice to start getting scenics down. I'm planning on getting the insulation board down on the southerly board later to form the base for the industrial units on Moor Street.

Cheers Marcus. As someone who drives the line on a regular basis I guess that you are the one I have to convince!

Convincing me so far buddy. Even more so with that last picture. Once that signal gantry is put in place it will be absolutely nailed.

Oh and a couple of Choppers but , as I said you're not allowed those yet. HaHa.

Edited by Marcus 37

Haha cheers Marcus. The signal is on the other board (or will be) right by moor street bridge. Choppers will be nice, I may well treat myself as a reward for finishing it!

No idea about the bold thing!

Spent a few hours ballasting yesterday. Managed to get 1 board. Done. There are a few tiny bits that I managed to miss somehow but I'll go back and add ballast into those prior to airbrushing. The airbrushing is when the ballasting will really come alive. It's all a bit 'straight out of the bag' at the moment. I've tried to give variation in coluring by using 2 types of ballast and a smattering of grey sand. Getting there but a fair way to go.

Looking like its all coming together very nicely. Can I ask what ballast you've used?

Hi Bill, thanks for the thumbs up, I've used woodland scenics fine dark brown and buff as the two main colours. From real ballast grading specs the fine woodland scenics products work out spot on. I've also sized it from photos and that agrees so happy with that. I have also used a little grey sand from Ikea in the yard between the tracks to add some variety of colour. You could use WS grey I suppose but the sand has a few shades in it also and a £3.50 bag is about as big as 4 WS ballast bags for the same money!

Ok well I've done the base grass to the rear of the loading platform. No pictures of that but I'll take some when I do the next bit. Also now cut the insulation board and fitted it to the industrial unit/offices area. It kind of looks like a side of pork but it isn't as tasty. This material is a much much softer grade than your Kingspan K15 or Celotex. It's used under wall render and comes with a fibreglass back and front. However once the glass is off it is very very easy to shape and smooth. I cut this with just a small kitchen knife and sanded it with my fingertip. The shapes that you can do though are great but beware of damaging your work. I coated the whole thing with a liberal splash of PVA which I allowed to dry overnight and now I've added newspaper and PVA to cover the gaps between the insulation and the baseboard where the tracks are. I will paint this brown before Saturday and then do some sceninc work on here at the show as part of the demo.

post-6894-0-55911100-1456869585_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-10795100-1456869596_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-22504600-1456869607_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-95008300-1456869617_thumb.jpg

I'm not too fussed about the board front at this point as I have built in a recess during making the boards to allow me to cut and fit a fully shaped piece of black (or whatever colour I decide) 6mm plywood as a front facia to match whatever scenics I do. I didn't want to cut it first in case it didn't fit the lay of the land!

I might finish that bleeding office at some point too!

post-6894-0-55911100-1456869585_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-10795100-1456869596_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-22504600-1456869607_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-95008300-1456869617_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 7