Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

Yes thats the idea. My thinking is that a layout is a slice out of a miniature world so why not slice straight through the buildings if they clash with the board edge!

• Like 1

Hmm 56022 spotted running light engine south towards Tamworth. I wonder where he's going. Maybe he has been called off Toton for an MGR turn to pick up at Drakelow power station?

post-6894-0-64599900-1456962911_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Nice shot.  I know there's no real alternative (expensive CJM or even more inaccurate old Farish), but how are you 'getting on' with it as a model of a Grid, given it's case of 'Tubbyduff-itus'? Do you find the issue jars when it's out on the tracks, or are the viewing angles such that you don't really notice?

In all honesty it is the best one out there. However having now compared to drawings at 1:148 scale I conclude that the windows etc are the correct size (pretty much) but the bodyside is too deep and as such makes the windows to high up compared to bodyside real estate. The extra width combined with this then makes roof look too shallow but is an optical illusion because of the other factors. The worst viewing angle is actually the 3/4 top down which makes the cab roof look awfully flat. This actually happens in the real one at that angle so not 100% dapols issue but is frustrating as thats the angle we view the thing at 90% of the time. In conclusion I'm ok with it for now until it gets retooled or someone else does a better one. Bottom line is it's the best we have yet and is very nicely presented apart from the black grilles (which for some reason Dapol have done with every one of them regardless of livery) and the later style No2 end roof grilles on older machines. I'm happy with them so far.

Edited by RBE

Couple more shots. I've now undercoated the bit of landscaping where the industrial unit with sit ready to do some scenics on over the weekend. Looks better in brown already! Also built up and added a basecoat of brown paint and grass to the rear of the loading bay on the north board. Again I will do some scenics on this over the weekend too. I also plan to tackle the platform surface over the weekend too but not sure how I am going to do that yet.

post-6894-0-71622300-1457079702_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-55180400-1457079731_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Cheers Lee, had the excuse to get something worth doing at the show this weekend really. When I get dedicated time I tend to be able to crack on it's just that time is very very precious at the moment and I don't get much spare to do any modelling really.

Nice to see more progress on the layout. You're really cracking on at a rate of knots at the moment. Hope you have a good time at Mansfield over the weekend. I've got a complete week of running through Burton next week with the Small Heath - Rylstone stone empties. Unfortunately its about  03:00ish!! :O

Have a goodun mate.

Cheers

Marcus

• RMweb Premium

In all honesty it is the best one out there. However having now compared to drawings at 1:148 scale I conclude that the windows etc are the correct size (pretty much) but the bodyside is too deep and as such makes the windows to high up compared to bodyside real estate. The extra width combined with this then makes roof look too shallow but is an optical illusion because of the other factors. The worst viewing angle is actually the 3/4 top down which makes the cab roof look awfully flat. This actually happens in the real one at that angle so not 100% dapols issue but is frustrating as thats the angle we view the thing at 90% of the time. In conclusion I'm ok with it for now until it gets retooled or someone else does a better one. Bottom line is it's the best we have yet and is very nicely presented apart from the black grilles (which for some reason Dapol have done with every one of them regardless of livery) and the later style No2 end roof grilles on older machines. I'm happy with them so far.

I've got the same thoughts as you regarding the Dapol "tubby" 56. Its the best yet and until something better comes along (or the body is retooled), it will do. Indeed the chassis running characteristics are very good. 

Agree totally regarding the contrail grilles been painted dark grey, why do Dapol do this!

Anyway I find in 2mm, I tend to prefer to buy stock than locos, which is probably my subconscious knowing I actually have the space to model scale length trains!

Nice to see more progress on the layout. You're really cracking on at a rate of knots at the moment. Hope you have a good time at Mansfield over the weekend. I've got a complete week of running through Burton next week with the Small Heath - Rylstone stone empties. Unfortunately its about 03:00ish!! :O

Have a goodun mate.

Cheers

Marcus

Cheers Marcus. Day one went well. Not a lot of modelling done but a lot of interest in Burton on Trent. The fact its a real place seemed to interest people no end and then obviously the fine track standards and the need to scratchbuild all of the structures to suit kept the questions coming really. Very interesting day.

I've got the same thoughts as you regarding the Dapol "tubby" 56. Its the best yet and until something better comes along (or the body is retooled), it will do. Indeed the chassis running characteristics are very good.

Agree totally regarding the contrail grilles been painted dark grey, why do Dapol do this!

Anyway I find in 2mm, I tend to prefer to buy stock than locos, which is probably my subconscious knowing I actually have the space to model scale length trains!

I agree, we 2mmers need a lot more stock than our average 4mm bretheren. We do get nice long trains as a result though! Edited by RBE

Couple of pictures after todays show at Mansfield.

Trackwork now airbrushed up and some base cover of green added. I've invested in a WWS static grass applicator and it is great. Highly recommended.

Andy Peters doesn't like my long grass but it's only a scale 2ft high which is fine by me for the overgrown area it is in. Soon to be covered in tree growth brush and shrubbery.

I'm also not 100% happy with the airbrushing of the rear passenger line. I went a bit heavy with the oil in certain areas!

post-6894-0-25116200-1457287508_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-21070300-1457287523_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 12

Couple of pictures after todays show at Mansfield.

Trackwork now airbrushed up and some base cover of green added. I've invested in a WWS static grass applicator and it is great. Highly recommended.

Andy Peters doesn't like my long grass but it's only a scale 2ft high which is fine by me for the overgrown area it is in. Soon to be covered in tree growth brush and shrubbery.

I'm also not 100% happy with the airbrushing of the rear passenger line. I went a bit heavy with the oil in certain areas!

attachicon.gif2016-03-06 18.04.22.jpg

attachicon.gif2016-03-06 18.04.40.jpg

Looks more like the Amazon Rain Forest to me mate, hahahhaha.

Seriously looking very good mate.

Haha its all that Burton beer in the soil!

It is serious grass but 4mm length fibres were all they had in the colour I wanted, it's not beyond the realms of growth though, any longer would have been too far I think. I will probably lay 2mm fibres in most other places.

Although 4MM may be right, to me it looks wrong, but even in 4mm / OO I always feel it looks out of scale, a bit like a true Oak Tree on a 4mm Layout would have to be almost 15 inches high, but look totally wrong.

It depends on layout size really. I have no issue with 15 inch oak trees in OO. My sycamore on Outon Road was a good 12 inches and that looked perfectly fine.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

Just looking back at my pics from today and thought I'd do a little crop to judge the track weathering. Sometimes seperating a subject from other distractions helps determine how it looks due to it being in isolation. I like this.

post-6894-0-61330400-1457306627.jpg

• Like 10

Just looking back at my pics from today and thought I'd do a little crop to judge the track weathering. Sometimes seperating a subject from other distractions helps determine how it looks due to it being in isolation. I like this.

2016-03-06 23.23.28.jpg

Looks great!

You have probably said, but what have you used for ballast?

Well it looks if you managed quite a lot at the show at the weekend. Track looks amazing with the weathering applied. It looks spot on in the crop. As for the grass, I think it looks fine. If it's a scale two feet then even that's too short in reality . Trust me line side vegetation is normally up round your waist some where when you're trying to walk through it. Oh and normally full of brambles just to add to the experience HaHa!!

Glad to here you're impressed with the static grass applicator as its something I have been thinking of investing in for doing all the smaller bits of greenery such as round the track in the yard etc on PDW.

Pleased you had a good weekend and plenty of progress to boot as well.

Cheers

Marcus

attachicon.gif2016-03-06 23.23.28.jpg

Trackwork looks superb mate and your weathering is spot on. Could have mistaken that photo for the real thing!

Well it looks if you managed quite a lot at the show at the weekend. Track looks amazing with the weathering applied. It looks spot on in the crop. As for the grass, I think it looks fine. If it's a scale two feet then even that's too short in reality . Trust me line side vegetation is normally up round your waist some where when you're trying to walk through it. Oh and normally full of brambles just to add to the experience HaHa!!

Glad to here you're impressed with the static grass applicator as its something I have been thinking of investing in for doing all the smaller bits of greenery such as round the track in the yard etc on PDW.

Pleased you had a good weekend and plenty of progress to boot as well.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus, Glad that you have experience of deep grass. I was starting to worry a bit tbh! As for the applicator, yes get one. £50 from WWS and works extremely well. I was skeptical, not any more.