Hornby announce SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt Ex-LSWR Coaches

I just hope Hornby can be persuaded to produce these coaches in green in BR livery'

Whether this be post 1948 malachite, darker varnished malachite, or malachite that's become so dark

that it resembles BR (S) green !

At the moment we will only have these coaches in red, and Bachmann are only going to produce

their Birdcages in red.

So there will not be any green non corridor stock on what was primarily a green region.

And we all know that some of the above coach types ended their days in green, circa 1956 / 61.

• RMweb Gold

I just hope Hornby can be persuaded to produce these coaches in green in BR livery'

Whether this be post 1948 malachite, darker varnished malachite, or malachite that's become so dark

that it resembles BR (S) green !

At the moment we will only have these coaches in red, and Bachmann are only going to produce

their Birdcages in red.

So there will not be any green non corridor stock on what was primarily a green region.

And we all know that some of the above coach types ended their days in green, circa 1956 / 61.

There will not be any green non-corridor stock mainly because there wasn't really very much. The crimson vehicles are entirely appropriate for the last days of loco-hauled non-corridor stock. I saw several at Redhill in 1960. The Maunsell pull-push sets were in BR(S) green, of course, being ex-works. But with branchlines dying by the day, fewer and fewer of these vehicles had a role.

There will not be any green non-corridor stock mainly because there wasn't really very much. The crimson vehicles are entirely appropriate for the last days of loco-hauled non-corridor stock. I saw several at Redhill in 1960. The Maunsell pull-push sets were in BR(S) green, of course, being ex-works. But with branchlines dying by the day, fewer and fewer of these vehicles had a role.

Nu4 exclusively so, lav 3rd on the Bluebell arrived as S320S in green as did both 100 seaters. Some of the LSW rebuilds of the type Hornby are modelling

also ended their days in green .( See ' Southern coaches in colour' by M.S. Welch ).

I believe there is a place for crimson and green, and I for one will put my money where my mouth is.

Additional to this I have placed an order for all four of the red LSW rebuilds, from the Bluebell shop.

• Like 2

Was not the announced Hornby plan to release the Maunsell rebuilds in Southern malachite in 2017 or 2018. I have only ordered 2 (4717 and 4719) to make up a set 44  with one digit renumbering, I have seen pictures of set 44 in Padstow in 1950 unfortunately in malachite. I have never found a definitive source for the set used for Padstow-Bodmin service in 1947. I suspect that it might have been set 20 which cannot be re-created from the new Hornby coaches as it included a 56 foot brake corridor composite.

Oh well it is what it is and it is a small step closer for mankind than using Maunsell corridor coaches for the local service.   

Has it not been mooted elsewhere by experts in this subject that most of these coaches seen in green  in the 1950's were likely heavily varnished SR malachite from 1945-47 repaints rather than later 1950's repaints in BR Southern green. If Hornby uses the same shade darker green on the as they did with the Maunsell Corridors all you have to do is add (HMRS Transfers) or remove (scrape off with a scalpel)  the small "S" before the vehicle number.

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 1

Bu☆☆er

Having waited all this time for these, I had to cancel all my pre orders due to likely impending financial meltdown (job worries).

Hopefully these won't sell out to rapidly and I'll be able to pick some up when fortunes improve.

Rather narked off to say the least

Nik

Edited by Spannerman

Was not the announced Hornby plan to release the Maunsell rebuilds in Southern malachite in 2017 or 2018. I have only ordered 2 (4717 and 4719) to make up a set 44  with one digit renumbering, I have seen pictures of set 44 in Padstow in 1950 unfortunately in malachite. I have never found a definitive source for the set used for Padstow-Bodmin service in 1947. I suspect that it might have been set 20 which cannot be re-created from the new Hornby coaches as it included a 56 foot brake corridor composite.

Oh well it is what it is and it is a small step closer for mankind than using Maunsell corridor coaches for the local service.   

Has it not been mooted elsewhere by experts in this subject that most of these coaches seen in green  in the 1950's were likely heavily varnished SR malachite from 1945-47 repaints rather than later 1950's repaints in BR Southern green. If Hornby uses the same shade darker green on the as they did with the Maunsell Corridors all you have to do is add (HMRS Transfers) or remove (scrape off with a scalpel)  the small "S" before the vehicle number.

Mike King comments that 10% ( if i remember rightly ) of Southern coaching stock was still in Maunsell green at Nationalisation - so the green ones CAN be used on an early B.R. layout ( Until someone comes up with a photo of each particular vehicle in Malachite ! ) ......... they'd probably have lost any lining by that time and gained Bulleid insignia : the latter should be easy enough to change ( Though the lack of late period NO SMOKING triangles from the trade would be problematic as always.).

According to the Hornby website, the olive green versions are due at the end of next week (29/07/16)

On Tuesday Hattons told me "Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Friday 29th July 2016" .............. so your guess is as good as mine where they'll have actually got to in a week's time  -  delivery to customers might be the week after, though !!?!

For a VERY early B.R. livery the only difference would, indeed only be the addition of 'S' prefix to the Southern numbers and removal of 'SOUTHERN' from the waist - but from, perhaps, 1949 the ( single ) number would be moved to the waist and changed to unshaded Gill Sans rather than 'Sunshine' style ............ similarly the number '1' on any first class doors would be in a different script and subtly changed position .......... and the window labels differ considerably ! : I've converted a number of Hornby CORRIDOR Maunsells to S.R. livery from B.R. type and it's probably easier changing that way that vice-versa : at least you don't have to paint the droplight frames green ( Silly mistake, Hornby ! ).

• Like 1

I'd better find something to sell on ebay to fund some then :help:

Be quick then. They are in the warehouse. Mine are waiting to be dispatched.

Edit, that's the crimson ones.

Edited by bigherb

Are most Hornby coaches now fitted with earthed wheels on one side for lighting pick up, or do they use double wipers to pick up power on each bogie? It is ages since they sold suitable coaches for southern so out of contact with details for lighting. I fit stay on flicker free circuits inside that are backed up by capacitors to maintain the lighting,

Please don't tell me they still use plastic............

Stephen

Are most Hornby coaches now fitted with earthed wheels on one side for lighting pick up, or do they use double wipers to pick up power on each bogie? It is ages since they sold suitable coaches for southern so out of contact with details for lighting. I fit stay on flicker free circuits inside that are backed up by capacitors to maintain the lighting,

Please don't tell me they still use plastic............

Stephen

The most recent coaches from Hornby (Collett corridors from earlier this year and Stanier suburbans from last year) both have steel wheels and steel axles, both darkened, with one wheel insulated by an insert collar between the wheel and axle. It seems that they fit them with one bogie having the insulated wheels on one side and the other bogie having them on the other side.

All 8 coaches (4 BR Crimson and 4 Southern green) now showing as available on the Hornby retail site. Looks like they'll be in the shops before the weekend.

What's happened to the Trades Descriptions Act ? ........ that'll be "On or BEFORE the 29th" !

.... not complainin' of course ...........................................

• RMweb Gold

I succumbed this afternoon, to a pair in BR Crimson (R4746 & 48) from Hornby Direct - need something to keep my Adams Radials happy ;)

Ditto, my thoughts exactly!

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see these released. I hope they are money spinners for Hornby . They deserve to be bringing in such fine models , including the now sold out Colletts @£15 less than Bachmann coaches

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see these released. I hope they are money spinners for Hornby . They deserve to be bringing in such fine models , including the now sold out Colletts @£15 less than Bachmann coaches

Considering the prices B@%$"@** are quoting for MK1's - these are bargains with all the detail they have compared to them.

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 1