Hornby announce SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt Ex-LSWR Coaches

• RMweb Gold

Something of a surprise for a region normally known for being green.

Not really, it's generally accepted that these coaches didn't last long enough to receive BR green, though many were withdrawn c1958 still carrying SR malachite (much re-varnished to keep it intact) but with BR lettering. 

Edited by Dunsignalling

Not really, it's generally accepted that these coaches didn't last long enough to receive BR green, though many were withdrawn c1958 still carrying SR malachite (much re-varnished to keep it intact) but with BR lettering. 

I was just about to ask if these ever got Malachite, so my questions are now being asked before I ask them! I'm going to wonder about the lottery numbers next....

• RMweb Gold

In that case, surely BR green (i.e green as used in the BR era) would be SR malachite with BR lettering ?

Yes. These coaches would have started getting BR crimson about 1950 (possibly a bit earlier) though not all received it.

You don't state your modelling period, but nearly all of them were withdrawn by the end of 1958 and many would have gone at the end of the summer timetable.

Examples in BR Crimson and SR Malachite with BR markings co-existed for most of their BR service so either should be OK unless you model very early BR days (in which case you might be better off with the SR liveried versions).

At least Hornby's alteration confirmed that they aren't going to be incorrectly finished in the darker BR(S) coach green, which is what quite a lot of people were concerned about. 

Mine will have to operate under Rule 1 anyway as my chosen time window is 1959-1961.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Very good article on these in the April South Western Circular...

... but SWC members will know that already ;)

Always worth joining, if you aren't already.

I've certainly never looked back!

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 1

Very good article on these in the April South Western Circular...

... but SWC members will know that already ;)

Always worth joining, if you aren't already.

I've certainly never looked back!

Unfortunately very difficult for those of us that are not UK residents to obtain SWC membership as a GBP check is required.  If someone would be so kind as to summarize or precis the information published on the Maunsell rebuilds and put in a private message, It would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by autocoach

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately very difficult for those of us that are not UK residents to obtain SWC membership as a GBP check is required.  If someone would be so kind as to summarize or precis the information published on the Maunsell rebuilds and put in a private message, It would be greatly appreciated.

You could drop a line to the membership secretary and ask if he will accept payment by PayPal, I don't have an email address to hand (if there is one?).

The Membership Secretary (South Western Circle)

39 Priory Road

Hassocks

West Sussex

BN6 8PS

• Like 1

A small view of the forthcoming LSW / SR rebuilt coaches. Have lots more images but

' file too big ' keeps repeating when i go to load them.

Anyway these coaches look gorgeous, well up to the mark.

Wow. That is some temptation.

It should be possible to shrink each of your images to an acceptable size. I use a horizontal axis of 800pixels, which seems to work every time.

PB

• RMweb Premium

I think RMweb requires files of less than 1mb these days. Meanwhile, phones and cameras just produce bigger and bigger files. There is an image editor provided on the forum, and it works quite well.

Indeed they do. My new iPhone 6s Plus now shoots 4K video. 4 times the clarity of 1080hd. Quite incredible the difference

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I hope they do them on Carmine and cream

Why?

These coaches were used on rural branch line services and never carried such colours in real life - like most such vehicles they carried plain Carmine / Crimson if repainted by BR before scrapping. As such your hope is in the same category the same as asking for them in BR (S) green - namely asking Hornby to produce a totally fictitious livery.