Pencarne, = BLT from page 54

Andrew P

When it's all complete, which 2 wires will you be using ?

Looking good though, plenty of playability. It's sort of inspiring me to get back in the loft and sort things out.

Yes two wires indeed, but I have decided to keep the Points and Signals on anolog with a proper switch panel, with Bitton I had the points through the DCC Bus Bar and the wiring was so simple, just two wires from the point motor to the point above and the rest was done on the hand set, but its very time consuming when operating. So reverting back to basics for Pencarne.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes two wires indeed, but I have decided to keep the Points and Signals on anolog with a proper switch panel, with Bitton I had the points through the DCC Bus Bar and the wiring was so simple, just two wires from the point motor to the point above and the rest was done on the hand set, but its very time consuming when operating. So reverting back to basics for Pencarne.

I can definitely see the point (sorry!) of this, particularly since operating the pointwork and signals is far more enjoyable to me than driving the trains.

But surely it ought to be possible to have a traditional style leverframe which sends electronic commands down the bus? Best of both worlds.

I can definitely see the point (sorry!) of this, particularly since operating the pointwork and signals is far more enjoyable to me than driving the trains.

But surely it ought to be possible to have a traditional style leverframe which sends electronic commands down the bus? Best of both worlds.

Fraid not Joseph, the bus only gives a constant feed and so you need a Driven Slow Motion Motor to feed off it, then it can ONLY be worked via a hand set.

• RMweb Gold

I would agree with operating the turnouts and signals by a switch panel. A second advantage is that when operating with a pal you can see what switches he has set. With DCC using handsets unless you also have a display showing the routes set someone can change what you have just set. If you have a panel either the diagrammatic type or a straight line of switches and the signal box diagram the way the switches are set shows what routes are being used.

Using DCC for the turnouts is ok on a simple layout where you can remember the address of each one or a big layout licked to a computer display but for a mid sized layout you still need a signal diagram with the accessory decoder nos  unless you are Mr Memory.

Don

• Like 2

Evening all, well I've managed to finish the wiring of the Points, Droppers and Frog feeds for the LED's back to the Panel and I have tested it, and all is working as it should, so this week I can do some running and testing in the Goods Yard ensure there are no hidden problems to contend with, and also that all the Kadee Magnets are in the right places and I don't need any more.

The only thing I haven't done yet is the Wires for the Signals, They will go in later as I'm bound to lean over and break one, (or more).

Next job whilst testing is to finish the Platform Ramps and then go along the edging with filler and then give the Platforms a coat of paint, once that's done its a start on the scenic.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Fraid not Joseph, the bus only gives a constant feed and so you need a Driven Slow Motion Motor to feed off it, then it can ONLY be worked via a hand set.

I haven't tried (yet?) but I reckon you should be able to do this by driving something like an NCE Mini Panel from a switch on the lever frame.

Edited by St Enodoc

Morning All, well yesterday I had a good running session between other jobs, and also did some filming. It was the first time for using the Yard, and apart from just running a Loco over the Yard it had not been used in anger, let alone being filmed.

There are still some minor issues to sort out before cleaning up the solder joints, painting the Rails and the Ballasting but overall I'm more than happy.

I can now get a proper feel as to how the Layout will operate, and its potential later on once the facilities like the Goods Shed, Coal Yard and Warleggans Yard are in place. 

So without further a do, here is, WARTS AND ALL, its a bit shaky and blurred as I was trying to hold the camera, look at the screen to stay in shot, operate the controller and watch for problems. I had NO REHERSALS, so this literally was its first full test. 

BLUES ON PENCARNE JUNCTION.
https://youtu.be/tPhbD9gVJmg

• Like 10

Good morning Andy,

Enjoyed your video very much, lots of operating potential there mate. Nice work so far.

Can I ask one small question ? It would appear that there is a slight snagging at the end of the passenger platform as coaches pass through towards the door end, is it me or do they catch slightly ? It seems to show up on your videos.

Excellent layout in the making :)

Good morning Andy,

Enjoyed your video very much, lots of operating potential there mate. Nice work so far.

Can I ask one small question ? It would appear that there is a slight snagging at the end of the passenger platform as coaches pass through towards the door end, is it me or do they catch slightly ? It seems to show up on your videos.

Excellent layout in the making :)

Morning, Yes as I said above, some minor issues to sort out and that is one of them, its actually the track is to near the Platform as its not fully pinned yet, the whole of the Platform needs fine tuning and finishing.

• Like 2

Very enjoyable Andy good to see everything working as it should ,liked the fifties and the 25 shunting ,this is definitely the best layout yet cant wait for the scenery now but take your time! By the way like the musical background ,proper music. Chris​

Very enjoyable Andy good to see everything working as it should ,liked the fifties and the 25 shunting ,this is definitely the best layout yet cant wait for the scenery now but take your time! By the way like the musical background ,proper music. Chris​

Cheers, Oh and the background music is courtesy of Planet Rock by the way.

• Like 1

Got back from holiday safe and sound, so after a nice long chill and rest l watched the new video, cracking use of the kadees Andy l can see you are so much happier now, so you can get on with some scenery and leave the track it looks fine to me...

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I was trying to... look at the screen to stay in shot...

You failed dismally at that... I didn't see you once, unless that was you waving from the brake van! Ah, you meant the trains in shot!  :jester:

I really enjoyed the video Andy. It's looking like it will be a great layout to operate with loads that you can do... and plenty to do wrong. I'm also looking forward to watching closely as the scenics start to go in... though I may not watch all  of the ballasting!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 3

Cheers George, Bill and Neil, its been another good evening with Bob, (86950?) and Jeff, (Binney) around for a really good running session. there was Bobs Modern image unit and Jeff's Patriot, K3 and 37 Type 3, plus loads of new stuff from me including Class 22, 33, Hymek, Princess, and a few Tanks and the Auto Coach.

The Videos will be up loaded later but wont come on live until tomorrow.

• Like 5