DEMU SHOWCASE 2016 June 4th/5th Burton on Trent Town Hall

Nobby (John)

Yes, leaving a pre-teen on their own for most of the day. A fantastic suggestion. Let's consider some scenarios now, accident. fire, an intruder, the fact that I'll be committing a criminal offence...

I have many faults, being a crap (lone) parent isn't one of them so I wouldn't even contemplate it. Next stupid suggestion please....   :nono:

He was only making a suggestion, he doesn't know your circumstances, bit of an unfair reply to be honest.

He was only making a suggestion, he doesn't know your circumstances, bit of an unfair reply to be honest.

Yes, I agree there. The suggestion wasn't to leave him on his own. Perhaps there is someone who could look after him or he could be dropped off at a relative or friends. But presumably that has been considered.

G.

• RMweb Gold

I've enjoyed past visits to DEMU, but like last year I'll be giving it a miss due purely to the kids admittance rate. It's one thing dragging an uninterested pre-teen around for an hour, paying £5 for the privilege in these faux-austerity times is another.

And yes, I know I'm cutting off my nose etc, but money's tight, & on top of train fare, food etc, that fiver is the proverbial straw that results in an A&E visit for the Camel....

Having looked after the finances for the last few years, we're very aware of trying to keep the entrance fees as low as possible but at the same time we have to be able to afford the costs of putting on the show. Apart from last year (when we had a very expensive two-site show) the aim has been to make sure the show breaks even. If we could put on a show whilst still inviting high quality layouts from across the UK and at the same reducing the entry costs we would.

As an aside, what would you consider reasonable? Presumably the costs of getting there and probably even food would outweigh the £5 entry fee.

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Premium

Having looked after the finances for the last few years, we're very aware of trying to keep the entrance fees as low as possible but at the same time we have to be able to afford the costs of putting on the show.

We were in a similar situation a couple of years ago with the Derby show - when we checked tickets sold we had many more coming in at the concession rate (Pensioner / Child) than we had at the adult rate. With the exceptional increase in the hire charge moving from a sports centre to The Roundhouse, we dropped the concession rate and charged all adults including pensioners the same - but we also admitted children free with a fee paying adult. The end result was additional income and happy visitors. Whilst we don't go out of our way to attract local families, they do help cover the costs and in the case mentioned above you have lost a visitor because of the charge for children. Do you actually get that many to make a difference to the finances - perhaps check afterwards how many came and if it would be better to look at making them free in the future.

Another Mike !

• RMweb Premium

It is a pity when people's personal circumstances get in the way of their hobby but I am sure many of us have been through similar things. I can recall being out of work when even the bus fare into town to go to my local exhibition ruled out a day to break the tedium of sitting at home all day. Life does change and I hope things improve for Dave so he can attend a DEMU showcase in the future, and lets hope it will be a good one.

As an aside, what would you consider reasonable? Presumably the costs of getting there and probably even food would outweigh the £5 entry fee.

Cheers, Mike

One obvious positive for DEMU in this respect is because of the nature of their subject, they are more likely to attract younger modellers and so a reasonable entrance fee is justified. But in general I do like the idea of a "One price for all", not least because it simplifies and quickens things for those behind the paydesk who may not be used to handling money.

I can empathise with those who in this day and age find even the slightest of luxuries unaffordable, in the grander scheme of things I've recently stopped making the effort to go to shows that probably don't call for and need my custom so I don't feel so bad about going further afield to better ones, but work and family commitments don't give me a lot of time for that anyway.

What's the Parking like at Burton Town Hall? I unfortunately missed last years show and seem to remember it being mentioned that the Hall's Pay and Display Car Park was no longer open.

Of course I could be mistaken  :unsure:

Rail is best Preston  - BNS - Burton on Saturday

Although the line is up near Tamworth on Sunday so its bus from there.

Ian

Yes, leaving a pre-teen on their own for most of the day. A fantastic suggestion. Let's consider some scenarios now, accident. fire, an intruder, the fact that I'll be committing a criminal offence...

I have many faults, being a crap (lone) parent isn't one of them so I wouldn't even contemplate it. Next stupid suggestion please....   :nono:

Good valid point - but maybe the OP isn't aware of your status.

Nanny devices such as iphones or tablets seem to work well with stroppy teens apparently.

Worth a try.

Ian

Having looked after the finances for the last few years, we're very aware of trying to keep the entrance fees as low as possible but at the same time we have to be able to afford the costs of putting on the show. Apart from last year (when we had a very expensive two-site show) the aim has been to make sure the show breaks even. If we could put on a show whilst still inviting high quality layouts from across the UK and at the same reducing the entry costs we would.

Cheers, Mike

Sod the cost.

I'm travelling down on BR and having plenty of beer.

• RMweb Premium

Anyone know if the N gauge Pendolino will be on display?

Cheers

Tom

I can hear the conversation now.

"Is this a Pendolino in my pocket, or am I pleased to see you?"

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I'm going to be there on Saturday early doors, got a test train to Pwllheli on Friday night finishing in derby at 06:00, so a bit of a kip in deadmans lane.......sorry the RTC messroom.......then over to burton

Compiling a little shopping list as we speak, Leggoman sound chip and class 33 speaker box so far

In order not to delay the dinner after my APT Talk on Saturday night it'd be best to keep the questions at the time to the minimum please.

But as I'll be at the Show all day Saturday and Sunday I'll be available for questions you may have during the day. I'll be on Shane Wilton's stand  much of the time (oggling his AMAZING etched brass POP-Train I expect  :O ) but I'm willing to talk APT stuff at almost any time.  :D

• RMweb Gold

Deliberate mistakes?

D*mn - D156 is missing its screw coupling....1M77 isn't a TPO working....no point rodding...do I win?

Hee hee all now rectified!

Phil

Archived