DEMU SHOWCASE 2016 June 4th/5th Burton on Trent Town Hall

Nobby (John)

Enjoyable morning at the Showcase.

I seemed to be carrying gremlins with me so I kept on my toes and didn't stop too long at any layout lest it blew up before my eyes.

Lingered too long at C&L and Tim Horn, I am now considering buying a baseboard kit and some EM components to try my hand in 4mm despite having picked up an N blue Western from DCC Supplies.

Little shunting plank to see what happens if you build track.......

That said Heworth and St Denys reminded what is possible in N and Netherwood's errant 47 let me know any scale can have mechanical issues.

Very nice show, I shall return next year.

• RMweb Premium

A most enjoyable day out with some fine layouts (at least three booked for for future outings at Stafford

A good selection of trade and my shopping needs were met.

It's a pity that the train journey home was not as enjoyable, as 14.09 from Tamworh to Stafford canceled ( no crew)

Alas a walk into Tamworth found a pub with a selection of real ales.

So thank you to all DEMU team for organising the exhibition and London Midland for cancelling the 14.09 to Stafford

Terry

It's a pity that the train journey home was not as enjoyable, as 14.09 from Tamworh to Stafford canceled ( no crew)

So thank you to all DEMU team for organising the exhibition and London Midland for cancelling the 14.09 to Stafford

Terry

So, did you then miss the next train? I assume that the beer was worth the walk.

John

• RMweb Gold

i was there early doors, enjoyable as usual, had a good chat with mick (mainly coz he had a chair and i was tired!) but also caught up with quite a few other members off here who recognised me from either my thread of the 3D prints of me!

didnt really have a look at the layouts too closely and my program is still in the van so excuse me not knowing the names but but the 0 gauge woodhead one was a beauty and the kendal mrc one was a stunner too, nearly missed a whole room of stuff though!

the scrum for the 2nd hand stall first thing amused me, almost like the old Bachmann stand at warley, i waited a bit and picked up a large logo Bachmann 37 to renumber to 37401, 3sprays (i think thats what they are called) did a number and nameplate pack on their stand which was a bonus, all the decals in need in one handy pack!

got a leggoman class 70 chip and class 33 fuel tank speaker housing which ill try and get sorted next week if i get a chance

Terry

Glad I returned to Manchester via Derby then.

Done Birmingham, Burton, Derby & Stoke all in a day, my original plan involved Tamworth to Stafford, so perhaps taking the lazy route was a good choice.

• RMweb Premium

So, did you then miss the next train? I assume that the beer was worth the walk.

John

The beer was worth the walk, but only the one as the car was in the station car park.

You have a good night tonight.

Take it no rail excursions seeking fish & chips

Terry

i was there early doors, enjoyable as usual, had a good chat with mick (mainly coz he had a chair and i was tired!) but also caught up with quite a few other members off here who recognised me from either my thread of the 3D prints of me!

didnt really have a look at the layouts too closely and my program is still in the van so excuse me not knowing the names but but the 0 gauge woodhead one was a beauty and the kendal mrc one was a stunner too, nearly missed a whole room of stuff though!

the scrum for the 2nd hand stall first thing amused me, almost like the old Bachmann stand at warley, i waited a bit and picked up a large logo Bachmann 37 to renumber to 37401, 3sprays (i think thats what they are called) did a number and nameplate pack on their stand which was a bonus, all the decals in need in one handy pack!

got a leggoman class 70 chip and class 33 fuel tank speaker housing which ill try and get sorted next week if i get a chance

Yes - good to meet you and Mick Jim -  instantly recognizable  - a good exhibition  - always on the calendar is the DEMU and spending could've reached four figures - the Heljan 60's look sublime.

Inspiration overload for infrastucture and consists on the WCML journey via 221 Voyagers there and back not to mention an EWS 37 s/b light through Warrington - any ideas where that was heading?

Ian

A great day today at Showcase. Quieter than I've seen it in previous years (I usually go on a Sunday, so maybe thats it?), but still pretty well attended it seemed like.

Got what I was after from Tim Horn (3ftx2ft board and a wall plaque) as well as some magazines and books.

Good selection of layouts there I felt. Will sort through my photos (and video) over the next day or so when I'm feeling less broken.

The talk by Mr Tilt was good afterwards too, very informative as well as light hearted :)

I had a great day at Demu 2016, spent a couple of quid at the Kernow stand on a Dapol weathered class 52 Western (D1050 Western Ruler) and made my first purchace of a Biffo sound chip that Charlie Petty kindly fitted for me whilst I had a break for an hour or three in a pub close to the venue, now arrived home, well, Weatherspoons in Fareham to be exact, guess the 52 will have to wait for her first run tomorrow :-)

• RMweb Premium

Well done the DEMU Exhibition Team and thank you all very much: I had an extremely enjoyable few hours at the show today.  I saw some great modelling, came away with a hand(s)ful of vital 'stuff' that I never even knew that I needed - who would have thought? - but best of all, I found some great inspiration.  I even (mostly) enjoyed my ride over from Lincoln and then back again on a selection of Sprinter thingies ( - thought I would have an adventure and go for a trip on the big railway rather than flogging over in the car for a change.)  As a bonus, I saw two different '60's before I had even left Lincoln and then my first Colas '66' at Derby.  All things considered, a jolly fine day.  Thanks again to all concerned for your hard work in putting on the show.  Hope all goes well tomorrow.

Best wishes,

Paul

Very impressive show, thanks very much to all involved.

All the layouts were worth return visits to have another good look, but Scorbiton and Deansmoor stood out; the former for its sheer presence and level of scenic modelling and the latter for being able to watch the operator at their lever frame to drive the single line section.

Another impressive feature was that almost every layout featured a Land Rover, some more than one - good work.

Nice venue as well, I like the use of many smaller halls and rooms - gives the show an intimate feel you don't get with other, similar sized occasions.

With just a few days left to go until the show, here is the show guide to download:

Showcase2016Flyer200px.jpg

See if you can spot the deliberate mistake(s)!

Guy

Hello

I noticed that you state "A very warm welcome to all our members and visitors to the 22nd DEMU Showcase."  It is not the 22nd Showcase but the 22nd year that the society has been in existence.

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

An excellent day out. I've seen Scorbiton in a magazine but the quality of modelling in the townscape was outstanding , as was the scale of the viaduct and open country. Heworth Sidings was a very fine demonstration of what N can do in terms of modelling the modern railway on a large scale. (St Denys also showed N's strength in modelling a broad sweep of railway )  Kirkmellington was also good .

I'm always prejudiced in favour of layouts I've not seen compared to those I have, so may not be doing Abbotswood Jnc full justice...

post-80-0-37101400-1465135024.jpg

post-80-0-57936900-1465134712.jpg

Spent a little too much money with Shawplan (putting their plates on a cheap secondhand Lima 37 may seem like putting lipstick on a pig - certainly it's doubled the cost of the loco), although a couple of other traders were struggling to supply my very specific wants

(Hope this is the right way round this time)

I've seen Scorbiton in a magazine but the quality of modelling in the townscape was outstanding 

And not just the townscape!

I know I must have seen Scorbiton before because I recognised the car park in the corner by the station, but wherever it was the crowds must have prevented me even noticing, let alone properly appreciating the partly-demolished factory at the front of the layout.  I know from bitter experience that attempts to portray damage and/or repairs often ends up looking like a bodge to try and hide a bit of poor modelling, so whoever is responsible for that particular modelling masterpiece deserves praise for having the confidence to even attempt it, let alone carry it off with such style.

Have processed and uploaded my photos now.

Find them here:

Videos will appear at a later date as other half's broadband is slower than a snaiil race! (I'm used to fibre broadband at home)

A small selection:

resized_P1100832.jpg

resized_P1100838.jpg

resized_P1100854.jpg

resized_P1100797.jpg

resized_P1100811.jpg

resized_P1100819.jpg

resized_P1100816.jpg

resized_P1100767.jpg

resized P1100707

Really enjoyed the show.  For me, DEMU Showcase is always the exhibition highlight of the year..

Fantastic display of Network SouthEast stock for the 30th Anniversary.  Very impressive.

Well done organisers and exhibitors -  and good trade too.  Purchased a class 56 sound decoder from the Legoman and was able to listen to a couple of other classes for future purchases. 

Travelled there by train - the Town Hall is so convenient for the railway station. 

Great day out.

• RMweb Premium

Ta to all that came and said hello at the yellow stand. I'm currently having a suitable liquid medication for my throat. I hope I've encouraged a few more to join the yellow side.

Another good DEMU Show and great atmosphere - as always.

Well done to Nobby and the rest of the team - you know who you are.

Cheers,

Mick

The talk by Mr Tilt was good afterwards too, very informative as well as light hearted :)

Thank you Kelly, I'm glad you enjoyed it, and it seemed everyone else did too, which was very pleasing to me.

In turn I'd like to thank everyone involved for inviting me to DEMU 2016, especially Guy, wo asked if I'd interested in giving my talk when I was at DEMU 2015. I had a GREAT time, but as I never stopped talking from 9.30 on Saturday till about 3 pm Sunday I expect my attendance at the Gloucester Club tomorrow evening may be a trifle subdued! I'm on the search for Strepsils as soon as I've posted this.

Ah yes, I was talked into joining DEMU myself late this afternoon so you could all be about to get buried in DEMU Forum posts about APT before much  longer.  :D

Thank you Kelly, I'm glad you enjoyed it, and it seemed everyone else did too, which was very pleasing to me.

In turn I'd like to thank everyone involved for inviting me to DEMU 2016, especially Guy, wo asked if I'd interested in giving my talk when I was at DEMU 2015. I had a GREAT time, but as I never stopped talking from 9.30 on Saturday till about 3 pm Sunday I expect my attendance at the Gloucester Club tomorrow evening may be a trifle subdued! I'm on the search for Strepsils as soon as I've posted this.

Ah yes, I was talked into joining DEMU myself late this afternoon so you could all be about to get buried in DEMU Forum posts about APT before much  longer.  :D

I did indeed, as did Natalie whom I was at the show with yesterday. I have to confess to not knowing a great deal about the APT (e or p) before your talk and came away much better informed. The background to the items I'd previously seen when I went last month to the ERM open day was informative too :)

I'm sure the DEMU forum members will be more than happy to have your input on anything APT related as I'm sure many members here have been.

May I be allowed ONE quick posting completely off topic on the simple basis that I guess a lot of D&E modellers read this thread ...............

Twickenham & District MRC's committee are trying to float a D&E club layout - they have allocated funds and storage space to it. It will be continuous run approx. 23ft x 10ft.

The fiddle yard will be shared with other club OO/HO continuous run layouts - that already exists and so our D&E group only have to build a 15ft scenic section.

And now I come to my point............

TDMRC are holding an Open Day on July 23rd where our embryonic D&E group will have a static display, but we would like a small (10ft x 2ft ???) OO D&E layout to be part of the display to promote D&E modelling in general and in particular to attract modellers to join to help build a D&E layout in the club.

Does anyone reading this thread have a small D&E layout that they would consider bringing along (expenses paid) to our Open Day to help the D&E cause?

Apologies again for posting here but except for the 'modelling blue' sub-forum I didn't know where to post to get the attention of D&E modellers to either bring a layout, or maybe even join our project.

PLEASE don't reply within this thread (I'll get told off for hi-jacking) ... PLEASE send me a PM if you can help.

• RMweb Premium

Have processed and uploaded my photos now.

Find them here:

Videos will appear at a later date as other half's broadband is slower than a snaiil race! (I'm used to fibre broadband at home)

A small selection:

Oh is that what the layouts looked like.

Still knackered from stewarding.

Archived