RMweb

KERNOW TODAY

• RMweb Gold

It now looks like it will be 11 2+4 sets, the coaches will have pre-assembled door modules cut into the sides meaning the conversions are relatively cheap, only one power car will be working, the second power car wont be powering, this is to reduce the engine hours on power cars and it be available in case the powering power car runs into problems because any sort of failure messes up the timetable and with the extra trains being run they want the redundancy 'just in case'.

If these were going to be kept for a while then converting the TGS to have a cab on the end was an option but the second power car is available now for next to no money compared to the TGS conversion.

That's interesting, I did wonder if a power car + DVT option would be more economical but there would have to be modifications to the Mk3B DVTs to work with HST. Presumably this is the cheapest way to get a high quality passenger unit by using otherwise redundant assets. It does appeal to by eco side in that way and keeps our iconic HSTs going a bit longer (bit like how A4s kept going in Scotland) :)

• RMweb Gold

That's interesting, I did wonder if a power car + DVT option would be more economical but there would have to be modifications to the Mk3B DVTs to work with HST. Presumably this is the cheapest way to get a high quality passenger unit by using otherwise redundant assets. It does appeal to by eco side in that way and keeps our iconic HSTs going a bit longer (bit like how A4s kept going in Scotland) :)

I do won der exactly how 'redundant' the HSTs are as I had presumed they would be migrating to Scotland.  is the scope of that now reduced?

And very sensible to keep two power cars although it does have a potential cost in the availability of seats but it will save a bomb on vehicle design, safety validication and constriction costs while providing some useful redundancy in event of problems plus reducing engine hours if they're shared between the two power cars (oh - and suitable assistant power for when a Class 57 fails on the sleeper).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

2+4 is also a better rake length for modelling  :yes:  I assume they will not have a catering vehicle if they're just for 'internal' Cornwall runs.

And perhaps an opportunity for a certain Camborne retailer to commission a set ? As a point of interest,do the HST's operating in Cornwall use the dreaded trolley ?

I do won der exactly how 'redundant' the HSTs are as I had presumed they would be migrating to Scotland.  is the scope of that now reduced?

And very sensible to keep two power cars although it does have a potential cost in the availability of seats but it will save a bomb on vehicle design, safety validication and constriction costs while providing some useful redundancy in event of problems plus reducing engine hours if they're shared between the two power cars (oh - and suitable assistant power for when a Class 57 fails on the sleeper).

How so?

The rear power car wont have to be platformed, a 5th coach would have to be unless SDO was used!

Personally I would have liked them to be 2+5 sets to allow for an increase in passenger numbers in the future.

The ScotRail work is still going ahead unaltered, but I am not sure who is getting the first conversion though, ScotRail or GWR.

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Gold

How so?

The rear power car wont have to be platformed, a 5th coach would have to be unless SDO was used!

Personally I would have liked them to be 2+5 sets to allow for an increase in passenger numbers in the future.

The ScotRail work is still going ahead unaltered, but I am not sure who is getting the first conversion though, ScotRail or GWR.

Then use SDO - er like they do now in Cornwall (or do they have some of Merlin's magic to stop passengers opening the wrong doors?).  The day I got off a 2+8 HST at Saltash only doors that were platformed could be opened

A welcome HST replacement in the shape of 2 class 68s 68004 / 020 and the NMT. 

68004 named Rapid - for those old enough conjuring memories of Warship Class locos in the Duchy.

Penwithers Jn, Truro

post-2613-0-87229300-1467390057_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-27128700-1467390076_thumb.jpeg

Back up in a glimpse of sunlight along Carlyon Bay, most welcome after weeks of gloom.

post-2613-0-61133700-1467390124_thumb.jpeg

• Like 15

I'm probably being a bit thick here but can anyone tell me if the seated coaches of the sleeper are being used as a local turn Penzance to Exeter and return this year, if so what times and is it Saturday only. Thanks. 

Edited by bubbles2

• RMweb Premium

I might be going on the last one on the 10th of September if it's got a new refurbished coach on it

I'd check the loco-and-coaches are still on for that date as the post above, from a reliable source, suggests only until the Bank Holiday weekend despite the timetable running until 10th September.

Thanks for the response but does not seem to agree with Trainline https://www.thetrainline.com/train-times/par-to-dawlish/09-jul-2016/2005

You believe what the trainline says? 

really?

The loco hauled waits at Plymouth for an hour between services, first one is Par to Plymouth, waits an hour, then the second service is from Plymouth to Exeter, that is why it isnt showing on the trainline, there are faster services available by changing onto other trains at Plymouth.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the response but does not seem to agree with Trainline https://www.thetrainline.com/train-times/par-to-dawlish/09-jul-2016/2005

The train waits an hour at Plymouth, the 1125 is shown if you ask for Par to Plymouth times

https://www.thetrainline.com/train-times/par-to-plymouth/09-jul-2016/1005

Edit - roayloak beat me to it!

Edited by Ramblin Rich

I'm probably being a bit thick here but can anyone tell me if the seated coaches of the sleeper are being used as a local turn Penzance to Exeter and return this year, if so what times and is it Saturday only. Thanks.

FYI ..... Taken at Exeter St.Davids prior to departure at 17.49 on 18/6/2016, usually parked up on the sidings during the afternoon ready to depart with the service.

Generally always 57605 Totnes Castle.

post-20303-0-18203800-1467666118.jpeg

As a bonus I managed to catch the new GWR set on its way to Penzance a few minutes earlier.

G

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Today's Sleeper will be in the station at PZ until 11 for a German film crew. Possibly for the popular soap based in Cornwall.

Crickey, a German film crew and that soap with the extremely dodgy / fictitious Cornish accent, what could possibly go wrong? :D

The semaphore signals have a  stay of execution anyway - a more sensible and financially realistic signalling plan is now in vogue so I'm informed.

Yes, I've been working very very hard this week to get three of the plans out for approval.

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 1

How many staff is this scheme likely to make redundant?

I should think very few if any (although I'm not involved with staffing levels), the signal boxes are to remain as they are currently, in fact one may have to be installed.

At this point, I should say that our designs are not aimed directly at reducing the staffing levels, they are to provide a safe, reliable, and useful signalling system to operations specifications, unfortunately this may result in staffing changes, but signallers designers are not involved in the reduction of staff.

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 1

I should think very few if any (although I'm not involved with staffing levels), the signal boxes are to remain as they are currently, in fact one may have to be installed.

At this point, I should say that our designs are not aimed directly at reducing the staffing levels, they are to provide a safe, reliable, and useful signalling system to operations specifications, unfortunately this may result in staffing changes, but signallers designers are not involved in the reduction of staff.

Simon

How does that work with NRs fascination with ROCs?

I am aware that 20 extra signals are to be planted in Kernow to reduce the length of some sections but I would have thought a reduction in signalboxes (and so signallers) would have been a requisite of the resignalling to save a few quid.

How does that work with NRs fascination with ROCs?

I am aware that 20 extra signals are to be planted in Kernow to reduce the length of some sections but I would have thought a reduction in signalboxes (and so signallers) would have been a requisite of the resignalling to save a few quid.

Its not a full re signalling just yet,  its a project to increase capacity without a full and very expensive re-signalling. I can't go into great detail, but yes, signals are to be installed to break up the sections with a section being converted to Track Circuit Block. To reduce the number of signal boxes would require the whole line between Totnes & Penzance being moved to TVSC, meaning full colour light re-signalling, conversion to axle counters, several new SSI Interlockings and all the associated data etc and, although this will happen in the future, to increase the capacity from 1 to 2 trains an hour it would not be cost effective, far easier to put a few switches on some block shelves and putting in some relays.

If it is not deemed to be cost effective to re-signal an area into a ROC, then it won't happen until a really good business case is put forward. Signal boxes will be around for a little while yet.

Simon