Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium

I have seen a car fly, so  not going fast so I overtook it, then it overtook me back, and slowed down, so I overtook, and so on, third time he really went for the overtake by going really fast, as I was slowing for the roundabout.

He bounced into the air pretty well.

Mind you had similar more recently a few years ago with a knackered people carrier and I was towing, went barreling off at speed into a traffix jam. Don't even need to be fast to wind some up.

• RMweb Gold

Not that impressive with your child in the car.  Ratted and could have killed her child.  Responsible adult.......................not!

The thing I took from that piece of film was how apprehensive people were to approach and check the occupants

When there was an accident outside my house last year, I (and my neighbour) ran as fast as possible to the scene, while those that witnessed it either drove by or took pictures ...sad..

....When there was an accident outside my house last year, I (and my neighbour) ran as fast as possible to the scene, while those that witnessed it either drove by or took pictures ...sad..

The latter would have uploaded those to antisocial media by the time the emergency services arrived.

Don't you just love society today?

• RMweb Premium

The thing I took from that piece of film was how apprehensive people were to approach and check the occupants

When there was an accident outside my house last year, I (and my neighbour) ran as fast as possible to the scene, while those that witnessed it either drove by or took pictures ...sad..

The latter would have uploaded those to antisocial media by the time the emergency services arrived.

Don't you just love society today?

Worst of all are those who slow down to gawp.

I think the average person who hasn't been 'hardened' to seeing horrible sights at accident scenes might be a little apprehensive about running up to, and looking in a vehicle which has been involved in such a serious series of impacts incase they see something that would almost certainly cause a visceral reaction with vomiting with most people and possibly also haunt them and require counselling. Edited by Baby Deltic

Traveling on the A38 between Derby and Burton yesterday afternoon in a blizzard noter a large number of cars with no lights and no wipers working. Why?

Probably because so many drivers these days think that just because their dashboard is lit up that it automatically means their side or headlights are on. The mind boggles, frequently!

• RMweb Gold

I think the average person who hasn't been 'hardened' to seeing horrible sights at accident scenes might be a little apprehensive about running up to, and looking in a vehicle which has been involved in such a serious series of impacts incase they see something that would almost certainly cause a visceral reaction with vomiting with most people and possibly also haunt them and require counselling.

And yet for me, the thought that something could have been done to make a difference but wasn't, would be what got to me.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sadly had to do this far too often in my past and you do get used to picking up the pieces (literally).  I agree with you that it is a shame that more people rather than stop to see if another living being is alright they would choose to film it instead.  These days people just don't want to be involved so won't help.  Mind you on the other hand people in that sort of situation can do more harm than good in trying to move someone thinking they are doing the right thing.  It does make you wonder the ratio of people who used their phones to contact the emergency services as opposed to just film the debris.

• RMweb Premium

Probably because so many drivers these days think that just because their dashboard is lit up that it automatically means their side or headlights are on. The mind boggles, frequently!

A lot of that is due to bad design, allowing it to happen. Dashlights ought to be configured in such a way, that they can only come on when the headlights are on. Then no one can make that mistake.

A lot of that is due to bad design, allowing it to happen. Dashlights ought to be configured in such a way, that they can only come on when the headlights are on. Then no one can make that mistake.

There is usually a little headlight symbol on the dash to tell them the lights are on, but how many people driving around know what the little blue headlight symbol mean either? Here's a idea for the govement, more police on the roads, with a on the spot £30 fine for such offenders. After all, you are supposed to know the operations of your own vehicle. This could be paid for by the latest thing sweeping businesses by contact less on the cards. If you think it's too drastic, how about a simple database so every time your pulled for such a offence you get 2 passes, then on the spot fines, then it becomes a prosecutable offence after a certain number.

• Like 1

I love the big 4x4 driver who use the size of their vehicle as a tool to force their way in/past. Doesn't work with me as at work I have 12ton of Volvos finest bus, and out of work a fiat scudo Mpv long wheelbase high roof which is bigger than almost every off roader on uk roads.

• Like 1

And yet for me, the thought that something could have been done to make a difference but wasn't, would be what got to me.

I agree, but I would imagine people who saw that accident happened might have been in shock. It may have taken a few seconds for the enormity of the situation to sink in and them to decide how to react. In some people unfortunately the reptilian brain takes over and the fight or flight response means they will either go to help or panic and run away. Then there are people who are just selfish, of course.

No longer available. Any clues as to what?

our traveling friends from across the irish seas new and dangerous game called blind you with high beam then launch a sandbag through your windscreen with inevitable results for you ahd heard of it happening in lincolnshire but not seen any factual reports  this is the first i had seen you can guess the carnage to a transit windscreen being hit by a 25lb sandbag at 50mph .saddly can copy the pics 

Big thanks to everyone who sent me birthday greetings.

To anyone that did it personally to my phone, I apologise for not responding as my phone has been offline since Tuesday evening and won't be back for a few days.

I'm not ignoring you, there is good reason.

Unfortunately the birthday celebrations were ruined a little bit as I was the victim of a targeted attack on Tuesday evening.

I had been to see the old dear after work to collect my cards and prezzies.

As I was making my way home through the countryside, an oncoming vehicle with its headlights in dipped beam flashed at me. I thought nothing of it.

The vehicle behind them however had its full beam on. 

As they got closer I flashed them, as anyone would, because I couldn't see all.

Within a second, it all went a bit Pete Tong for me.

They had launched a sandbag through the windscreen at me.

I was doing 50mph, no idea what speed they were doing but it snapped the steering wheel off and into my chest.

The van then went across the road, through a fairly sturdy hedge and into a field.

A few seconds later, I came round a bit, choking on something and unable to see.

Panicking and coughing like a muthaa, I managed to get out of the van.

Still unable to open my eyes at this point but able to breathe a bit better I heard a car pull up close by.

Followed by the sound of laughter from many and the distinctive bogtrotting tones of some filthy pikey scumbag asking me if I was alright.

I can only assume that he could only manage to break my chain and bracelet as another car came along and they legged it. I still have my jewellery so you!!

Once I'd managed to get some vision back in one eye, I walked back to my Mums house. I couldn't call anyone as my phone was in its holder on the windscreen and got smashed to .

Obviously I scared the absolute out of my Mum who then called 999.

I won't bore you with the rest.

I'm not posting this for any kind of sympathy.

I'm posting this so anyone who reads it has the slightest bit of awareness that this is going on.

I want people to be forewarned because that means you are forearmed.

Apologies if the photos do upset anyone, but I've lived to tell the tale. It could have been worse.

• RMweb Premium

There is usually a little headlight symbol on the dash to tell them the lights are on, but how many people driving around know what the little blue headlight symbol mean either? Here's a idea for the govement, more police on the roads, with a on the spot £30 fine for such offenders. After all, you are supposed to know the operations of your own vehicle. This could be paid for by the latest thing sweeping businesses by contact less on the cards. If you think it's too drastic, how about a simple database so every time your pulled for such a offence you get 2 passes, then on the spot fines, then it becomes a prosecutable offence after a certain number.

On the spot of 30 pounds, for no lights?

Well, that's part of the problem, its too low. Just found the relevant penalty for Victoria, Australia.

"2071 Fail to have headlights, tail lights and number plate lights on at night or in hazardous weather conditions 215(1)(a) 1 1.50 233     $238"

So it's close to 130 pounds for such an offence. Here's a list of our penalties.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/~/media/files/documents/safety-and-road-rules/feesfinespenalties/listofvicroadsfees20172018.pdf?la=en

• Like 1

On the spot of 30 pounds, for no lights?

Well, that's part of the problem, its too low. Just found the relevant penalty for Victoria, Australia.

"2071 Fail to have headlights, tail lights and number plate lights on at night or in hazardous weather conditions 215(1)(a) 1 1.50 233     $238"

So it's close to 130 pounds for such an offence. Here's a list of our penalties.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/~/media/files/documents/safety-and-road-rules/feesfinespenalties/listofvicroadsfees20172018.pdf?la=en

driving without due care and attention for me would cover it 

On the subject of driving with no lights on or at best "side" lights in bad visibility conditions , does no one look in their mirrors these days and think to themselves " I can barely see this vehicle coming up behind me because it has no lights on. I have no lights on and so does it follow the vehicle in front of me will not be able to see me?"

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

driving without due care and attention for me would cover it 

Like this then?

"Safety Procedures 2570 Careless driving of a motor vehicle by a full licence holder 65(1) 3 2.40 373 $381"

All these penalties are automatically indexed, so an old penalty with an historic monetary value, doesn't become irrelevant. The 373 value above, is for the fine last financial year.

• Like 1