The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

This post seems most apt!

I haven't seen mention of the gormless & piggy. Gormless doesn't react when the traffic lights change to green until car horns make his penny drop......Ooops! Gormless doesn't go into a central reservation when turning right at lights. Then there is compound-gormless. He follows the car in front to a stop even though it has been indicating while at the lights that it intends turning right. No traffic can pass on the inside and so only one car actually get through said lights.  The young male definitely isnt among them. He's alert and I am always glad to be behind one.

Piggy is on another planet. Lights change after what seems like an eternity and she inches forward looking ahead for a parking space.Result, very few cars get through the lights. Parking space found, she goes in head first with (you guessed it) her bottom hanging out. As I suggested at the beginning, forget motorists, it is simply people driving cars, the same people we greet on the street. It's just that behind the wheel some people turn into something else while most (thankfully) are level headed and thoughtful of others.

• RMweb Premium

They all followed me!!!

Somebody tell me, what is going on?

Because you have a 4x4 and haven't parked on the pavement?

There's a junction near where I live and between 6am and 9am, the approach to it is designated as an "Urban Clearway" and parking is not allowed. There are lots of shops in the locale - the sandwich shop is very good! Come 9am and people begin to park at the kerbside - often with the same results as yours above. It usually takes about two sequences of traffic lights before the non-parkers realise that it isn't a queue.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I live on a small estate which has 2 privately owned bus routes. We do have cases where motorists park too close to the bus stop for the bus to pull in, on the other hand the drivers either abandon their bus in the road whilst passengers get on or get off, drop others off not at bus stops or just stop their bus in the middle of the road to have a chat with the bus driver coming the other way. 

Drivers abandon their bus in the road?  And leave passengers to fend for themselves whilst they go off somewhere else...?  mHmmm...

I just wish car drivers would understand that those raised kerbs the council spent money putting in aren't to look pretty - they're there to help elderly, disabled and infirm people on and off a bus - if we can't get to them, they're a useless waste of money, and its hindering people who just want to travel easily and freely.  Many a time I've beeped the horn at someone as I've sat behind them trying to get in to the stop, to make them aware I'm there and they need to move.  The usual answer is the finger.  In fact, it makes absolutely NO difference to ME whether they move or not, I'm not the one struggling to step off the bus in to the road, I'm asking them to move so the parent with a heavy double-buggy can get easily and safely off the bus onto the kerb.  I often feel like asking them to jump on the bus and explain to the wheelchair-ridden passenger why they're sticking two fingers up at them for wanting to be able to get off the bus.

Incidentally, I once had a taxi driver in front of me, he must have known I was behind him (I'd have been filling his mirrors) and he can't not have seen the people at the stop.  What did he do?  Stopped right in the middle of the bay, so I could neither get in front or behind him.  I tapped the horn, got the usual look, so I had to stop alongside, holding up traffic, people stepping into the road, etc.  Anyway, he followed me, stopped alongside me at the next stop, got out, left his door open, came tapping on my cab window.  Now, firstly I pointed out that it was dangerous to stand in the road, and he should really come around the other side if he wanted to talk to me, and not be so rude as to interrupt while I'm talking to a passenger.  He did, got on the bus, started having a go, and after a few simple bits of advice (check your mirrors before stopping, you could have left space for us both to stop,...) I told him to get off and stop being silly.  Then I told him again to leave.  Then warned him to mind the doors as they were about to close.  Then repeated it, closed doors, set off... All of a sudden, he DID actually want to get off, and get back to his taxi which was now sat by itself in the middle of a busy road.  He got quite mad at the next stop when I pointed out that the fare for going from where we were to where we now are is £1.10 please... :-D

On all the occasions I've (from the point of view of the car driver sat behind beeping his horn and gesturing) stopped to "have a chat" with the driver coming the other way, its not because I feel sociable.  Its for a reason.  For example:

- "There's a car parked at the junction, you'll not get past going that way, you'll need to divert..."

- "There's a fire, the fire brigade are blocking Xyz Street, don't turn in to it"

- "There are two drunks at the stop around the corner, both being abusive to me, no money, don't let them on..."

- "There's an old lady at the next stop, she's a bit lost and confused, was wanting the town centre, got on my bus, I told her to wait there for you..."

The road is my workplace, sometimes I need to communicate directly and immediately with a colleague.  Be patient.  Maybe even ask the oncoming driver yourself as he moves off, rather than wind down the window and give him grief, ask - "Everything OK driver?  Problem up ahead?" , it might help you avoid a problem or just understand the situation.  As with so many things, communication is the key.  

In reply to Derek's comment about "on the Yorkshire Buses", I saw a bit of it, made me cringe too much to watch though.  As much as I'm all for good publicity (see above pic - more embarassing photos always available!), I did wonder whether EYMS knew what they were getting in to. The lightweight Wright Streetlite is very much a Dart-type vehicle, cheap, does the job, but would I rather drive that or a Volvo artic...?  For me, the artic, but that uses twice the fuel and probably costs an extra £75-100k...  Of course, given the choice, I'd have more of our new VanHool A330H's, but at £800 000 (yep!) a go, I can't see that happening any time soon!

Sorry, must stop ranting about buses on railway forum... We have our own forum for that :-D

Edited by JDW
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I tend to find that drivers of "proper" buses from larger companies are on the whole, decent road users. It's those of midibuses or similar pretend toy buses (from fly-by-night companies that have about 4-5 vehicles in the fleet) that are not that considerate. (It is a generalisation/stereotype and if I offend, then I apologise). A significant quantity of difficult meeting situations that I regularly encounter include these toy buses that think they own the road.

A local (private/gated) housing development that also includes the training facilities of a Championship standard football team near me has recently installed speed bumps on the approach road to the gatehouse. Primarily because of a minority of residents (and footballers) treating the road as a racetrack. Two speed humps were installed near the gatehouse and were mostly working successfully at reducing the speeds through the narrow gate area. These humps aren't too vicious and I don't have a problem with them on my regular trips to the residential area to pick up customers/clients (I can pass the gatehouse up to 12-14 times on a busy day).

The local (i.e. small) buses have a stop/turning circle just before the barrier and have been negotiating one of the humps for the past few weeks as they ply their trade on the local subsidised route.

However, the housing development saw fit to install a slightly larger hump about 100 yards from the barrier because of continued speeding on the access road - which has signs showing 20mph. This hump has to be treated with respect as it is quite sharp. Within two days of installation, one of the buses grounded his sump on the hump and stopped within a few yards with a large pool of oil forming under the bus. The very next day, despite at least 4-5 more identical buses (from the same company) passing over the hump, another one managed to do the same and destroy his sump also.

A letter was circulated to residents explaining why the speed hump was there and that the first bus data recorder showed a speed of 28mph........... As for the second bus - no explanation needed.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I wound the windows up [they're electric, unlike landrovers]....

Err some have lots of toys!

Climate, leccy windows, twin subroofs, auto box.

• RMweb Gold

Is a subroof used when travelling upside down under water?

Cheers,

Mick

Could be! However I assume the "wading depth" in the handbook refers to right way up travel. My Land Rover is the one that isn't talked about on the Land Rover forums!
  • Like 1

Drivers abandon their bus in the road?  And leave passengers to fend for themselves whilst they go off somewhere else...?  mHmmm...

The Abandon phrase often is the way some describe badly parked cars, mainly in a designated parking space. Most of us has come across buses which for no apparent reason have stopped in the middle of the road to set off/pick up passengers.  I do totally accept many times it can be unavoidably due to inconsiderate parking by motorists. I also accept when 2 buses pass there may be a need of an exchange of information, but not a full blown conversation.

Last night just before a set of traffic lights, there is an entrance/exit from a car park where there is a hatched area, as the lights were against me I stopped to let a car out. As there was enough room for me to join the queue before the hatched area I moved on. Needless to say the car behind me followed and blocked the exit, needless to say 2 women locked in animated communication oblivious to other road users, the driver did not even have the excuse of owing a 4x4, BMW or Audi !!  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Could be! However I assume the "wading depth" in the handbook refers to right way up travel. My Land Rover is the one that isn't talked about on the Land Rover forums!

****lander?

• RMweb Gold

****lander?

What's the one they're advertising on TV where the ad features a woman with some Huskies who's stuck in the Arctic until she's rescued by some smug bloke in a Chelsea tractor?

Who watches this crap and decides 'Oh yes, that's the car for me!'

Edited by 30801

• RMweb Gold

What's the one they're advertising on TV where the ad features a woman with some Huskies who's stuck in the Arctic until she's rescued by some smug bloke in a Chelsea tractor?Who watches this crap and decides 'Oh yes, that's the car for me!'

That would be the Discovery Sport. I didn't buy my Freelander after seeing an advert. I was given a lift back from a funeral in one and thought it was really comfortable.

• Like 2

What's the one they're advertising on TV where the ad features a woman with some Huskies who's stuck in the Arctic until she's rescued by some smug bloke in a Chelsea tractor?Who watches this crap and decides 'Oh yes, that's the car for me!'

Maybe somebody who thinks that they may one day need to rescue a woman and huskies in the Arctic? :)

Okay, I'm coming out of the closet, I drive a Discovery and have often rescued women with huskies in the Arctic.

• Like 1

Since this thread is in the mood...today, I decided to park my Dai-hatsu [not yet a dead-hatsu...far from it..despite leaving little piles of rust wherever I park]....by the pavement in a local street. It's quite a wide street too.

I did things properly...no-one behind, but I still left-indicated [mindful that some of you may be watching, waiting to pounce?]....pulled up, stopped, nicely next to the kerb.

Turned the engine off, even.

Whilst I wound the windows up [they're electric, unlike landrovers]....which took a few seconds...gathered my bits 'n' bobs....I glanced into the mirrors, to see a lady in a large car stopped right behind me.

I got out, locked the doors.....by now there are three cars right behind me....all the drivers sitting there looking very expectant....!  All sitting there, engines running!

[No-one was there at the time when I stopped.]

I walked to the nearby post box, stuck a stamp on my letter, posted it, and ambled back to my obviously parked car [i'm being generous here...the Daihatsu may no longer qualify to be called a 'car']

I am, at this point, becoming amused, as I gathered awareness of the situation...the next parked car was about 4 car lengths in front of me....I am about 20 yards from the nearest junction.

There are now 4 cars, nose to tail, in a line behind my parked motor....all with their engines running, all drivers in situ, looking very expectant.....[no, I don't think they were pregnant...although for some, that might have been a minor miracle?]

I got back tot he motor,and, for effect, got a rag out, and proceeded to polish teh windscreen.....drivers still looking at me, expectantly.....I even went round the back, opened the back door [as far as I could..the next car was a bit close]  and rummaged around inside aimlessly .

Then I got fed up with the game.... got inside, started up, checked my mirrors [cars still there].....indicated right [waited to see if anyone really was on this planet]....then pulled out and drove off.

They all followed me!!!

Somebody tell me, what is going on?

Are you sure that you haven't been near Menwith Hill or Fylingdales lately?

The spooks can get very paranoid at times.

• RMweb Premium

A similar incident to Newberryfords one involving a bus and one of the local taxi's obstructing a bus stop occurred a few years ago here. Only on this occasion it was observed by an off duty police officer who noted the taxi's licence number. This was passed to the local councils department who suspended the taxi drivers hackney licence for a month. He was very upset as the suspension was over the Christmas period which is the most lucrative time for taxis.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I had an experience yesterday sat at the traffic lights third car behind a big Kia, first she failed to set off when the light went green then she approximated for the lanes for the A617 out to the motorway the car in front of me overtook her and went leaving me to follow her as I wanted the left slip road turning off I accelerated up to 25 mph and glanced over as I passed her, she was having trouble spelling her text obviously.

• RMweb Gold

Todays superstar. (box junction offenders, speeders, corner cutters ignored)

Driving along a country lane with a few houses to my left, well setback from the road with short drives and about 10-15 foot of verge before the road, which allows cars to pull out of their drive but stop and check the road is clear without actually impeding the road, there is a wall surrounding an estate on the right, the road is wide enough for two cars.

A car appears slowly moving out of a drive on the left, about 75 yards away, I'm doing about 30 (40mph limit but I've just turned into the road on a 90 deg bend so I'm bimbling along), another appears heading in the opposite direction - all well and good, no problems

Mr NfN coming out of his drive proceeds to stop, but with the front of his car about 2 foot out onto the road, despite the 10-15 foot of verge being clear, (I could see virtually all of his car after he'd stopped) and despite me approaching to his right, and therefore I have to brake, not sharply but quickly and wait for the car coming the other way to pass NfN - t0ss3r

• RMweb Gold

I tend to use my vehicles, rather than park them out front for all to ogle at.

That's certainly not for olging at :)

Quest are running repeats of 'Salvage Squad'. There's an episode featuring one of those.