Dapol 08

Kickstart

• RMweb Premium

I don't think it will be a major issue for many. Fundamentally it remains an excellent model at a very attractive price, that seems clear. This would not stop me buying one for sure. However it'd  still be disappointing if it is an error and whilst the best part of £200 is terrific value for an excellent RTR model in O gauge it is still a tidy sum and not the sort of money many will spend without thinking about. I think Dapol may be paying the price for previous model errors and poor communications as there is a fine line between giving the model supplier the benefit of the doubt and seeing things in a positive way and assuming the worst.

Yes, according to Dapol, the '08' will stay in the line up for a few years, with each year's model being a later version than the previous.  If you have a look at my Telford report (http://www.railblogs.co.uk/telford16#Dapol) there is more info there.  The topic of creating a Class 13 was also briefly discussed, with the comment from Dapol along the lines of, it would be quite easy to do, as its only a case of removing the cab and blocking off the body.  So yes very doable, and something i've thought about too!

Rich

But have you got a football pitch sized shed to house Tinsley Hump?

• RMweb Gold

But have you got a football pitch sized shed to house Tinsley Hump?

Haha! No that is a problem, but my main layout will be a steel yard, so I'm thinking one way have been transferred for shunting duties!!!! ;)

Rich

I think if you asked a three year old to paint a blue class 08 it would be blue ! not with a black roof , errors like these and the class 73 are  bizarre, if i can buy a tin of blue paint from various sources, it cannot be that difficult for a major firm like Dapol to do it , how does a Loadhaul 60 end up with livery errors , its prob because they dont seem to take time and effort or poss care, get it to the shops and it will sell attitude. In this day and age of the internet there are thousands of pictures of class 08's for them to look at and check against or maybe Dapol just pluck liveries out of thin air and think the public will accept them.

You say that you'll wait for a 'Correct' model to be put on sale before you purchase one, well that is 'wanting your cake and eat it', you want perfection before you buy at a bargain basement rate!

the blue 08 has just the cab roof colour incorrect and the radiator colour incorrect...  What more do you want for your money? And very little money at that!!!

Bargain basement rate?  *cough*  I repeat - How much more expensive is it to paint the grilles the correct colour?! 

We are talking about the difference between painting a grill BLACK or YELLOW.  Quantum mechanics this is not.  As bazjones1711

also highlighted, there are thousands of photos of Class 08s out there at the click of a mouse, and I'm yet to see one with a black grille surround.

I think if you asked a three year old to paint a blue class 08 it would be blue ! not with a black roof , errors like these and the class 73 are  bizarre, if i can buy a tin of blue paint from various sources, it cannot be that difficult for a major firm like Dapol to do it , how does a Loadhaul 60 end up with livery errors , its prob because they dont seem to take time and effort or poss care, get it to the shops and it will sell attitude. In this day and age of the internet there are thousands of pictures of class 08's for them to look at and check against or maybe Dapol just pluck liveries out of thin air and think the public will accept them.

Absolutely agree with this sentiment.  Bargain basement price or not, these are are schoolboy errors that not even a schoolboy would make.

Edited by YesTor

Seems there are too many people who are willing to support Dapol , with all the errors that have occurred on so many of their models, rather than stand up and say it's wrong , don't defend them , they made the errors! It's not just the class 08. The list goes on , the MBA, Class 73, ......if I myself can scratchbuild a wagon and paint it the right colour then someone with far more resources , time and money can surely get it correct, don't they look at pre production models and think something doesn't look right, obviously not

Edited by bazjones1711

• RMweb Premium

I think if you asked a three year old to paint a blue class 08 it would be blue ! not with a black roof , 

There are plenty of 08s that did not have a blue cab roof and then there are some that did. It's not wholly unprototypical to have a black / grey roof. Maybe I'm not as smart as a three year old which is quite a possibility.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glevumblues/12521406204/ for example?

Those who want to buy an 08 for sub-£200 will be happy. Those who don't want to buy it aren't forced to. On that note, time to leave this thread I think.

I think people do not appreciate that the guys in the UK do not do the painting. It is done miles away. Things can get lost in translation. Then it's a balancing act to get it right. I suspect that sometimes the option to take it as it is, can sometimes be the decision taken.

I've had a similar experience where the break between 2 colours was not quite in the right place. I knew it was wrong but there was not time to repaint both sides of the loco. No one else noticed.....,

To manage such a process between here and a foreign land is a challenge indeed.

Final point for the red/yellow rod debate. These is a loco at Norwich today with red rods on one side and yellow on the other......,

Edited by The Bigbee Line
  • Like 2

I think people do not appreciate that the guys in the UK do not do the painting. It is done miles away. Things can get lost in translation. Then it's a balancing act to get it right. I suspect that sometimes the option to take it as it is, can sometimes be the decision taken.

I've had a similar experience where the break between 2 colours was not quite in the right place. I knew it was wrong but there was not time to repaint both sides of the loco. No one else noticed.....,

To manage such a process between here and a foreign land is a challenge indeed.

Final point for the red/yellow rod debate. These is a loco at Norwich today with red rods on one side and yellow on the other......,

In this day and age it's easy to communicate around the world and request photos at every opportuniy. The alleged flipment remarks from Dapol at Telford says much about how they communicate with you, me and their suppliers (judging by all the other issues with other offerings perhaps there are lessons to learned in how to improve communication with all parties in future, which inclides how you conduct yourself in front of the customer in a professional way (re Telford brush off remark from the Dapol representative).

It's a shame Dapol are quiet on this as I expect they are likely to be aware of the discussions raging here. It would be nice to understand what will really be in the box before it arrives and if they have taken onboard the very reasonable customer feedback made at Telford. My guess is they will remain very tight lipped, do nothing and hope it all blows over. There is a lot of money waiting to be cashed in from the paying public as main priority and when there are those that are willing to accept the errors and are happy to sort them out themselves then sends a strong message to say we are quiet happy to accept all other models in the future with basic errors. Probably the reason for this is some still want to do a bit of modelmaking, but for others they either can't or don't want to.

Thinking out loud.... A 57xx class loco might look very nice with orange buffer beams. Still I won't complain just in case I upset someone.... good job I have a tin of red paint and an old paint brush if I don't like it... anyway I like 'brush marks' as it reminds me of the days when I started making Airfix kits as a boy. So perhaps I will give it a repaint as the it will look out of place with the rest of the pristine paintwork which so carefully applied in the first place, or should I?

Bargain basement rate?  *cough*  I repeat - How much more expensive is it to paint the grilles the correct colour?! 

"Bargain basement rate" was in the context of you wanting your cake and eat it (waiting for a perfect one before buying), not in the context of how much extra, or not, it costs to get the correct colour on the thing!!!

Come on please, if you've got an answer for my statement, please deliver one in the same context?

As Jintyman also highlighted, there are thousands of photos of Class 08s out there at the click of a mouse, 

Could you please let me know where I stated that please, I've had a look but it's eluding me at the moment?

I still stand by what I say, these models represent good value for money, albeit with livery errors.

I also don't believe that Richards quote has helped Dapol in any way.

Bigbee Line has also brought another factor into the equation, in that there is the distance from the factory and the UK both physical and language.

Jinty ;)

It's a shame Dapol are quiet on this as I expect they are likely to be aware of the discussions raging here. It would be nice to understand what will really be in the box before it arrives and if they have taken onboard the very reasonable customer feedback made at Telford. 

Now I do agree with this......................... Dapol should be making some inroads here to put minds at rest, or to explain why, as without their input this will just go on, and on!!!!

Jinty ;)

Errrm.....for the record .....in ' The liveries of the BR standard diesel shunters in colour 1952-1996' by Steve Jordan page 29 there's a photo of D4100 in blue with a black radiator surround. In the text it says....." The outer edges of the radiator grille are painted black. Again this was only applied to a handful of locomotives and was not adopted as standard.

hth

John

• RMweb Gold

In this day and age it's easy to communicate around the world and request photos at every opportuniy.

I think that people underestimate the importance of Ernie's point and the difficulty in what you are suggesting. Let me give you a (very plausible) scenario:

- All livery diagrams are correct

- All samples are correct

- production model is incorrect

Now what happens? It is simple to say that the factory should correct it - of course in a normal business/legal relationship that should happen, but now try enforcing that in China. If you have good relations with the factory they may or may not own up to their mistake (and the loss of face - important culturally) - if they do then great the corrections are made. If they don't or the models have already shipped (because the production samples were correct) then it might be too late to change things...

There are steps in the process where things can be stopped and remedied but it isn't inconceivable to work out how things happen (my example is based on a real life situation which was fortunately rectified!).

We shouldn't underestimate the difficulty of production across continents.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 3

Errrm.....for the record .....in ' The liveries of the BR standard diesel shunters in colour 1952-1996' by Steve Jordan page 29 there's a photo of D4100 in blue with a black radiator surround. In the text it says....." The outer edges of the radiator grille are painted black. Again this was only applied to a handful of locomotives and was not adopted as standard.

hth

John

Hi John,

Is this the same image link was previously posted here earlier in the thread, with a pre-tops 08 parked up next to a Bullied pacific, possibly at Nine Elms shed? I wonder if Dapol have used this or similar as their basis for the blue livery. Some of early SR gronk repaints do look a bit wierd, with an odd shade of rail blue, brown frames and running gear and blue buffer beams! As long as the remaining livery details and colour shades on the Dapol 08 are passable I can live with touching up the radiator frame.

John

The Blue Boys may have the easy option with the cab roof in black needing a repaint - the Dapol artwork on Tower's website (which shows a black cab roof on the blue version) shows that on the green/wasp stripes version to come, the grey on the cab roof extends along the whole of the bonnet...!! That's a new one to me!! :scratchhead: :D The non-wasp stripes green version just has a grey cab roof.

Note to Greenmodelmonkey; some days/pages ago in this Thread you claimed to have cancelled your 08 order, & implied you were even leaving the hobby completely? Just intrigued to know why you're still here..?? :)

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1

The Blue Boys may have the easy option with the cab roof in black needing a repaint - the Dapol artwork on Tower's website (which shows a black cab roof on the blue version) shows that on the green/wasp stripes version to come, the grey on the cab roof extends along the whole of the bonnet...!! That's a new one to me!! :scratchhead: :D The non-wasp stripes green version just has a grey cab roof.

Note to Greenmodelmonkey; some days/pages ago in this Thread you claimed to have cancelled your 08 order, & implied you were even leaving the hobby completely? Just intrigued to know why you're still here..?? :)

Did... but might go for a later version when I have money again so it's still in my interests to take an interest if that's OK, thanks for asking anyway.

Did... but might go for a later version when I have money again so it's still in my interests to take an interest if that's OK, thanks for asking anyway.

Oops another can of worms is about to open re your observations about grey roof on wasp version, good spotting!!!

Just to add that there is another mistake in the new class 08, ok not major , but yet again highlights the lack of research, the trunking for the cab lights comes straight down and meets between the two lights on the right , not as Dapol have it , dont know how they came to this conclusion. i have highlighted the correct route in the pic

post-19557-0-78159800-1473278458.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Just to add that there is another mistake in the new class 08, ok not major , but yet again highlights the lack of research, the trunking for the cab lights comes straight down and meets between the two lights on the right , not as Dapol have it , dont know how they came to this conclusion. i have highlighted the correct route in the pic

attachicon.gifpost-5136-0-24047100-1472927985.jpg

I did say I'd stop now, however - there is a prototype for a non-straight trunking. Although Dapol didn't make theirs orange! I'll give you that the majority seem to be straight down but it's not 100%of the time.

https://flic.kr/p/iy8RS9

Oh, and a black roof as well.

(Okay, this shows there are a hoard of different configurations for 08s, main things here. #1 - Dapol did advertise 08202 with yellow surrounds and those seem incorrect and #2 if true Dapol / Richard haven't helped themselves with comments made at Telford). Other than that it's an 08 and it leaves the possibility of third party detailing packs.

Edited by maq1988

I think people do not appreciate that the guys in the UK do not do the painting. It is done miles away. Things can get lost in translation. Then it's a balancing act to get it right. I suspect that sometimes the option to take it as it is, can sometimes be the decision taken. I've had a similar experience where the break between 2 colours was not quite in the right place. I knew it was wrong but there was not time to repaint both sides of the loco. No one else noticed.....To manage such a process between here and a foreign land is a challenge indeed. Final point for the red/yellow rod debate. These is a loco at Norwich today with red rods on one side and yellow on the other......,

I think that people underestimate the importance of Ernie's point and the difficulty in what you are suggesting. Let me give you a (very plausible) scenario:

- All livery diagrams are correct

- All samples are correct

- production model is incorrect

Now what happens? It is simple to say that the factory should correct it - of course in a normal business/legal relationship that should happen, but now try enforcing that in China. If you have good relations with the factory they may or may not own up to their mistake (and the loss of face - important culturally) - if they do then great the corrections are made. If they don't or the models have already shipped (because the production samples were correct) then it might be too late to change things...

There are steps in the process where things can be stopped and remedied but it isn't inconceivable to work out how things happen (my example is based on a real life situation which was fortunately rectified!).

We shouldn't underestimate the difficulty of production across continents.

Cheers, Mike

A.n.other manufacturer uses the same supplier/manufacturer, apparently, to date, without a hitch-in fact I was told that the supplier often goes out of their way to problem solve.

Oh great I have grey one-sorry a green one-on order! A bonnet repaint would be a real chore!

• RMweb Premium

Oh great I have grey one-sorry a green one-on order! A bonnet repaint would be a real chore!

Which one? There seem to be two livery versions for green, one with a grey cab + bonnet, one without. Double check your order. D3043 has grey cab, D3219 has grey cab and bonnet. Also we've not seen a green sample yet so hopefully those are indeed correct.

Dapol's digest site to the rescue!

https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/filedata/fetch?photoid=395 or https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/filedata/fetch?photoid=398

Quick edit: My bad, three green - 13282 is also grey cab + green bonnet

Edited by maq1988

When I worked in a model shop I used to tell  customers who moaned about small or indeed large  inaccuracies that they were deliberately included to allow the customer to feel superior .My boss used to tell people,who asked how good a model was that it wasnt perfect but I am sure you have the talent to make it so .

You have no idea how many customers brought their pile of glue encrusted crap to me to show all the mods they had done in the name of accuracy .I have yet to find a picture of a Tiger tank  covered with moulding lines , fingerprints ,glue and  thick paint  runs in bright yellow  and yes I have heard of zimmerit .

Edited by alfsboy
  • Like 3