Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dapol 08

Kickstart

Guest 40-something

I've just checked with Tower and I've the black one on order, wish it was dark grey........

Cancel your order, email Dapol and tell you them your life has been ruined!

Or get your f*****g paint brush out  :onthequiet:

:no:

If it says RAL 9017 (traffic black )on the spec sheet in China then they will turn up with black in those areas .Its not up for debate  unless spec changed .I have worked from similar sheets in RAL and Pantone colours and what they write down is what you get unless they amend it .Cant actually see what the argument as about .Classic Team Lotus identified at least 80 matt blacks when trying to restore their JPS cars .As the actual color was never specified and  probably ,like most Team Lotus paint ,came out of the nearest tin on the shelf then matching proved problematic .I had a similar problem after spraying 500  little trucks silver.I didnt make note of what silver but an order came two years after for another lot to match .Try matching silver quickly ,it even depends on how you have sprayed it on ,clear coat or none .Blacks the same,hence RAL 9017 ends all argument .except on here .

Edited by alfsboy

It means those who cannot accept a few livery errors and act like its the end of the world need to get a grip.  There are real problems out there that are worth getting worked up about a damn site more than a toy train with the wrong colour on its roof.

If I was to let all the livery, detail and shape errors I've noticed over my years of modelling then I'd be living in a white room with padded walls, dribbling on my jacket that kind souls button behind me.

Get annoyed by all means if the product is not to your satisfaction, jjust dont buy it.  Simple.  If you really want an 08 to your spec then either wait for one to be produced, which it may be, or repaint it (or learn if you're not experienced in that field, or get someone to paint it for you).

This is a hobby, a distraction, not life and death

Calm down ...it's only a toy train

….I think, as Lapford states above that Dapol have simply chosen some "left field" examples, as others have said there was a lot of variations in the 08 fleet.

OK - anyone who has ordered a black variant had better wipe the big smirk off their face and start chanting "Please NO, please NO, please NO…."

post-17823-0-21007200-1473710789_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Where's the sick bag icon :O

Paul

[old enough to have nearly thrown up on the Western diesel!]

By the way I was going to link to the photos of 08s I have with black cab roofs, black hoods and other changes, but they wouldn't be believed anyway! http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/br0809

While I must admit I quite like the sand Western (and indeed the class 14 which I'm pretty sure is just a preservation thing), I was more referring to my unfortunate habit of buying ready to run 0 gauge locomotives, ready painted in perfectly acceptable and indeed realistic paint schemes, taking them apart and liberally dousing them in Tamiya "deck tan". As such a few dabs of yellow daunts me not. I'll refrain from doing so to an 08 though- it's not particularly suitable and more to the point won't fit. The Terrier wasn't so lucky...

20160126_211036.jpg

• Like 7

Well having watched this thread from a far and for all those who are not happy with the Dapol 08 I have great news as I have come up with the solution to the so called errors be it livery , body shape, pipes and every thing that the more discerning modellers / collectors amongst you feel is not right or is that wrong with this new model locomotive. 

Once in production my new range of 'exact perfect scale' models will be available in very limited numbers to the point that when released all will be put up for sale by auction only to the highest bidder. Every model will be a one off production giving you the chance to have a no nonsense exactly correct error free likeness to the prototype. 

Before any production can start I need to purchase a machine as per the photograph below.......................................... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

post-5136-0-65032300-1473718685.jpg

Free paint brushes will be supplied for those who wish to change livery details to suit  :triniti:  :triniti:  :triniti:  :triniti:

• Like 3

If you're suggesting the only way to stop arguments is to shrink the real thing to 7mm scale, just be aware that you could open the scale colour can of worms. Then there's the little problem that it would come out as S7, not OF. Plus the question of how a diesel engine could be made to work with DC and DCC electrics, along with the health issues related to diesel fumes inside houses.

Well having watched this thread from a far and for all those who are not happy with the Dapol 08 I have great news as I have come up with the solution to the so called errors be it livery , body shape, pipes and every thing that the more discerning modellers / collectors amongst you feel is not right or is that wrong with this new model locomotive. 

My solution is simpler, the group that think the manufacturers are making a fortune can join with the group that think it's easy to get everything 100% correct, and they can commission their own builld. The current market seems big enough to support half a dozen 57xx's so another 08 shouldn't be a problem.

With all those experts it could possibly even get to market before Dapol.

That way they get the product they want, we get an even better 08, and they will soon be exceedingly rich, the only down-side is that it does actually involve some work, ..............................and some capital, ..........................................................................and some risk, .......................................... and several hundred variants to cover all loco's and time periods, ........................................................................................ and the understanding of words like compomise and pragmatism.

I look forward to ordering one, though I won't hold my breath for such a group to emerge, the term all wind and piss' long on words short on actions' springs to mind.

In the meantime as a modeller I will take what I can get with gratitude, and alter as required, it means I can get rid of the Lima shunter and 4F that were about the only RTR that was on offer a few years ago, it reinforces my theory that the more choice Society gets the more dissatisfied it becomes - funny old world innit?. :)

Peter

• Like 8

Where's the sick bag icon :O

Paul

[old enough to have nearly thrown up on the Western diesel!]

By the way I was going to link to the photos of 08s I have with black cab roofs, black hoods and other changes, but they wouldn't be believed anyway! http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/br0809

It would have been useful to have had those photos/Links on here Paul, I would have thought that it would help with the repository of knowledge here and elsewhere.....and thus photographically state the facts of the prototypes' liveries, especially the more esoteric types - for all to see......

For information.....

You will find the following infomation from Andy who works for Dapol in the digest for the Class 08 which was posted today on their site. It confirms Dapol will not be producing a Wasp Striped and Green Bonnet version until sometime in the future. But DCC Supplies have commissioned Dapol to produce this version for themselves and it will be available in the next batch expected in November (and will be in the same shipping container as the Dapol Wasp/Green/Black Roof/Black Bonnet version as far as I'm led to believe). This special commission is not discounted.

Andy from Dapol wrote....

The model is per the prototype (Andy refers to photo which can be seen on the Dapol digest at this point) i.e. Green Body, Yellow/Black wasp striped radiator area, with black cab roof and black hood upper. You mention that you are seeking an early crest version, do you note that version (7D-008-003) is BR LATE crest ? so it may not be what you require after all?

If you are looking for EARLY crest version, then 7D-008-001 maybe more to your needs. The artwork is on this page, but for ease, it is all over green, NO wasp stripes with Black cab roof (another common variant).

For an EARLY crest WITH wasp stripes, try DCC Supplies. They have commissioned an Early Crest Green/wasp stripes with black cab roof - Due in the second container, so (at the time of writing) around 2 weeks after the 1st delivery. Further information is here: http://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-11...sp-stripes.htm

We will be producing many other liveries for a long time yet, so your 100% green will undoubtedly be produced in due course.

End of Andy's quote.

That's very useful, thanks for the update, good Post.

A great shame that after approx 5 days and emails from 3-4 model-making buddies that Dapol cant be bothered (which is par for the course when others have taken the time to write to them over other, previous model releases) to reply to individuals - nice to see that customer service is still king and that Dapol's esoteric forum is the most effective form of communication (NOT! - especially on certain mobile devices, just like the colour chart key issue - ie as clear as mud, why not use black to errr, represent black??), but at least there is an answer of sorts now. Seems like the Dapol marketing strategy is to make the common-or-garden version the more expensive of the two (currentish) GFYE versions then in conjunction with their agents DCCS....

Cancel your order, email Dapol and tell you them your life has been ruined!

Or get your f*****g paint brush out  :onthequiet:

:no:

Please dont try and mask language like that, there is no need to use such HD expletives. Can I ask have you ever painted yellow on a model - or anything else yellow - especially over black? When painting a model from scratch it requires a white primer and then numerous thin coats of yellow, numerous thin coats. It will be a mild chore, but for me, offers no fears as such, but lets have some empathy - and use emotional intelligence applied - for those who dont have the skills and would have liked Dapol to have gotten it right first time (which they now tell us that they are doing??). I can see that you are trying having a laugh, but no need for thinly disguised expletives. BTW for a point of reference, I cant take anyone seriously who has to repeatedly swear so as to make his point, whilst implying that anyone who doesnt want to paint yellow paint over black (on a brand new model), is somehow a lesser person....... :stinker:   :no:  (NB; I have used some emojis/emoticons, before I couldnt due to technical issues, so Posted 'LOL' instead, hope that minor detail pleases, they are yellow too BTW) :jester: ....

Another one of my experiments. These O gauge working figures are pride of place on the dining table, use them to put the sugar in my tea and stir itattachicon.gifpost-19557-0-25477800-1473285043.jpg

The Hills Have Eyes.....in places this Thread is beginning to feel just like the movie :O

The phrase "Be careful what you wish for" comes to mind... 

Yes, that was to be the prototype that Dapol were going to use as their common-or-garden base model ie first release!!! :O   :stinker:   

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

So all jokes aside, (But better we laugh than cry I suppose?).

I get the distinct impression from other posts in this thread, that these models are based on one or two obscure liveries which were then reproduced incorrectly and inaccurately?

Meanwhile Dapol are avoiding addressing customers concerns about this in a constructive manner?

I think I shall wait and see before I re-instate my order - We have not seen the production versions run yet either. :scared:

Hi,

Yes I believe that sums it up very well indeed.

We cant all be experts on everything and there is the issue that we are all, from time to time; unconsciously unaware, then; consciously unaware, then perhaps; consciously aware and then.....So we thus rely on the Subject Matter Experts to produce; 'accurate scale models' or whatever branding Dapol et al now use to describe their output.

You are right we havent seen the production versions yet - Dapol really dont help themselves to put punters' minds at rest with the way they communicate (or miscommunicate?) such. Also magazine reviews often appear a month or two after many models have been delivered, then there is the issue that some mags might feel inclined to pander to the needs and desires of their advertisers, putting such before the needs of the readership in terms of accurate critiques and reviews (a very fine line to tread I would think if one is under pressure from one's boss, the publisher).

I heard on the weekend that a major kit manufacturer is looking to pack in next year! My hope is that the company will be purchased by a.n.other and run along the same lines, ie great models, VFM and superb customer service. I dread to think what dross - with multi-liveries that never existed - will be turned out by RTR manufacturers, in RTR, if the competition fails. Our 7mm marketplace is a delicate eco system in reality and hard won after those honourable fellows saved 'O' gauge back in the 1950s. I am not saying that there werent/arnt some awful kits, there are, AND there is enough business for everyone, if manufacturers understand the dynamics of this particular market place, a market place that cant really cope with out and out capitalism...but these days 'year on year profits', pandering to greedy shareholders seems par for the course. Time will tell and I hope that fair play and continuous improvement within the hobby prevails.

ATVB

CME

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So all jokes aside, (But better we laugh than cry I suppose?).

I get the distinct impression from other posts in this thread, that these models are based on one or two obscure liveries which were then reproduced incorrectly and inaccurately?

Meanwhile Dapol are avoiding addressing customers concerns about this in a constructive manner?

I think I shall wait and see before I re-instate my order - We have not seen the production versions run yet either. :scared:

Dapol are choosing to answer queries on their own forum that was set up for that purpose.

I'm not sure I can see what's wrong with that to be honest - if they have spare staff kicking around they can go and crack on with my B set!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have an 08 on order, the black one, ordered on the basis of having seen the early models at Warley last year. I have tried to follow this thread but cannot see why Dapol should spend their time following very turn of argument when so much of it neither refers to the photographic evidence available on the web - thanks Paul and others - or to the actual models which no one on the forum have seen as they are yet to hit the shops. On top of that they have their own website where they do answer questions and put up photographs.

The first versions of a model from most manufacturers are of the more obscure renditions, its a normal part of marketing to get us to buy the unusual types which otherwise would never see the light of day. As I am retired I could pop onto RMWeb almost any time I want to, I rather hope staff at (all) the manufacturers have better things to do with their time than follow the rather OTT comments expressed at times on here. I think what Dapol are doing in terms of producing cheap RTR O gauge models will fundamentally change the hobby. I see them bringing O gauge modelling to a much larger proportion of the modelling fraternity and I personally find the link up with Lionheart as being fantastic news. I have ordered models that I would not have even considered a few years ago and talking to other modellers who have been working with 00 I am not alone. Enjoy the brave new world and if you have worries please write to Dapol, they may not reply in a millisecond but I am pretty sure it will be read.

Godfrey

• RMweb Gold

A great shame that after approx 5 days and emails from 3-4 model-making buddies that Dapol cant be bothered (which is par for the course when others have taken the time to write to them over other, previous model releases) to reply to individuals - nice to see that customer service is still king and that Dapol's esoteric forum is the most effective form of communication (NOT! - especially on certain mobile devices, just like the colour chart key issue - ie as clear as mud, why not use black to errr, represent black??), but at least there is an answer of sorts now. Seems like the Dapol marketing strategy is to make the common-or-garden version the more expensive of the two (currentish) GFYE versions then in conjunction with their agents DCCS....

If some of the posts I have seen on here are representative of the emails sent to Dapol I'm not sure I blame them for not replying to an email.  Nor is 5 days particularly unreasonable given that they were at a major show for 3 of those days (T.I.N.G.S.). 

I'm not sure why you would describe Dapol's forum as esoteric either - pretty straightforward to use and does exactly what it was designed for ie give Dapol a space to interact with their customers.

I have an 08 on order, the black one, ordered on the basis of having seen the early models at Warley last year. I have tried to follow this thread but cannot see why Dapol should spend their time following very turn of argument when so much of it neither refers to the photographic evidence available on the web - thanks Paul and others - or to the actual models which no one on the forum have seen as they are yet to hit the shops. On top of that they have their own website where they do answer questions and put up photographs.

The first versions of a model from most manufacturers are of the more obscure renditions, its a normal part of marketing to get us to buy the unusual types which otherwise would never see the light of day. As I am retired I could pop onto RMWeb almost any time I want to, I rather hope staff at (all) the manufacturers have better things to do with their time than follow the rather OTT comments expressed at times on here. I think what Dapol are doing in terms of producing cheap RTR O gauge models will fundamentally change the hobby. I see them bringing O gauge modelling to a much larger proportion of the modelling fraternity and I personally find the link up with Lionheart as being fantastic news. I have ordered models that I would not have even considered a few years ago and talking to other modellers who have been working with 00 I am not alone. Enjoy the brave new world and if you have worries please write to Dapol, they may not reply in a millisecond but I am pretty sure it will be read.

Godfrey

Hi Godfrey,

I think that the black 08 might be the best of the bunch <ducks peeps above the parapet and awaits to be proven wrong!>

But there is photographic evidence, Godfrey, in books et al., often better evidence than to be found on the 'all knowing, all seeing, internet'. Dapol must have access to such accurate information as it's their stock-in-trade.

The link with Lionheart? Yes it should be a good thing for punters, as long as Dapol bring in an apprentice to learn from the master, ie RW - or was it just a case of Dapol buying up the competition, MBA MO stylee??

If you read through the Thread you will see how Dapol have changed their 'mind' and thus 'story' several times with the 08, I have been told various versions of what the production models will and wont be and what the painted samples represent!

I believe that your views on the marketing of RTR models isnt accurate either.

Unfortunately a fair few skilled modellers, manufacturers, historians and writers with a wealth of accurate tacit knowledge have been driven away from several forums (and writing for magazines) due to/by manufacturers' apologists and shills and their bombardment in favour of the acceptance of the inaccurate RTR models etc etc (many of these types have an undeclared business relationship with the manufacturer). And so the manufacturers get to dish out inaccurate and/or faulty models - some RTR is better than others of course as are some manufacturers. I am aware that several editors, writers and experts have written to the likes of Dapol, et al, over the years, to offer help, as modellers in their own right (unpaid advice) and guess what, they have never heard back from Dapol et al? Arrogance, myopia on the part of Dapol et al? Who knows, interesting therefore that their chief designer left in recent times. These other helpful fellows have now left Dapol to their fate. It appears to me though that a lot of RTR is like the Emperor's New Clothes when it comes to VFM 7mm products.

'Pretty sure it will be read'?? I love your optimism!

I agree that it will be nice to see those who model in '00' come up to 7mm, the more the merrier.

Moving on;- I'm not sure if anyone has covered the issue of the hinges on the engine compartment doors, ie small or large (the latter currently being portrayed by Dapol) and the cutaways around the doors at the radiator ends - does anyone know if Dapol will manufacture both versions? On preservation locos one can find either so it would appear that they werent - always - modified (eg. from large to small versions) and the issue appears to relate to where and when the loco was built?? So eg. will the likes of 08288 (3358) ever be able to be modelled using the Dapol 08 (as the Dapol version has the larger - earlier??- hinges etc. and 08228 didnt)?

ATVB

CME

If some of the posts I have seen on here are representative of the emails sent to Dapol I'm not sure I blame them for not replying to an email.  Nor is 5 days particularly unreasonable given that they were at a major show for 3 of those days (T.I.N.G.S.). 

I'm not sure why you would describe Dapol's forum as esoteric either - pretty straightforward to use and does exactly what it was designed for ie give Dapol a space to interact with their customers.

I doubt it, the fellows that I am aware of are very articulate and polite, and posses emotional intelligence and seek to maintain good personal hygiene, they dont swear or the like in correspondence, it's only Forum politics that seem to get 'heated'.

I find it strange that other manufacturers Post here and Dapol dont, Dapol's site isnt all that easy to follow and most manufacturers retailers only bother with an often asked questions Q&A type thing - each to their own though.

Perhaps you are right though better than nowt at all.

5 days? How long does it take to ping an email back to a potential customer who would like to purchase two or more locos from you - but is as confused as heck by product numbers, liveries, listings, prices etc? Two minutes? Emails= aim to reply in max of 48 hours (most companies do), a letter? 7-14 days (for obvious reasons). 

If they reply to me, then I will Post accordingly, I cant speak for the others though.

As this matter draws on the MMP kit seems ever more appealing.

ATB

CME