Revolution Ben

Hi,

I've tried to rally the cause for a oo 320/321 at every opportunity. I wonder, would it be worth at least gauging expressions of interest for a oo one? It may be that doing a oo and n version together would make the project more viable? I for one would put my money where my mouth is - I would like up to 6 Silverlink ones if i could get different running numbers! I would happily put down money in a crowd funder!

Hi,

I've tried to rally the cause for a oo 320/321 at every opportunity. I wonder, would it be worth at least gauging expressions of interest for a oo one? It may be that doing a oo and n version together would make the project more viable? I for one would put my money where my mouth is - I would like up to 6 Silverlink ones if i could get different running numbers! I would happily put down money in a crowd funder!

I really don't understand what is wrong with the Bratchell Models OO model? http://www.bratchellmodels.com/321345.html

Granted they don't do your particular livery, and some very basic assembly is required. But surely, considering there is already a high quality moulding in OO already, it would be better to support that than duplicate it?

Justin

• RMweb Premium

It may be that doing a oo and n version together would make the project more viable?

I'm unsure why doing both together would make it more viable? All the early research and much of the CAD has been done for the N Gauge model so 4mm modellers wouldn't share the cost of this. Similarly I can't see many 4mm models wanting to subsidise the tooling for the N Gauge model....

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium

I'm unsure why doing both together would make it more viable? All the early research and much of the CAD has been done for the N Gauge model so 4mm modellers wouldn't share the cost of this. Similarly I can't see many 4mm models wanting to subsidise the tooling for the N Gauge model....

Steven B.

Hi

They certainly didn't want to know with the N gauge APT.

Cheers

Paul

Steven B.

It wouldn't help the N model.

What it could theoretically do is help Revolution by shifting some of the existing costs that have been incurred onto an OO model.

If an OO model was successful then the research is still valid, and thus the costs for it would be paid for by the OO model.

I also assume that while there would be a cost to alter the CAD that it is less than developing CAD from scratch, so an OO model would pay for at least some of the CAD work that has been done.

That all assumes though that an OO model is successful.

I really don't understand what is wrong with the Bratchell Models OO model? http://www.bratchellmodels.com/321345.html

Granted they don't do your particular livery, and some very basic assembly is required. But surely, considering there is already a high quality moulding in OO already, it would be better to support that than duplicate it?

Justin

The Bratchell model is nice, I have one in Silverlink livery but it lacks lighting unless you install it yourself, they don't currently offer the NSE 321/4 version which I personally would like, and if you want DCC you either need to use the intermittently available Replica motorised chassis or adapt something else, as the kit is primarily designed to work with Black Beetles.

Personally I would love to see an OO RTR 321/322 and given the huge range of liveries they have carried I'm sure enough interest could be generated. I wonder if Revolution could work with Rapido to share data for a Rapido 321 in return for some deal on the N gauge model to enable that to come to fruition? In that way Revolution keep to their core market of N gauge whilst Rapido get a head start on an OO model which has a widespread geographical spread with multiple livery options. Given the glacial speed at which Bachmann develop models any upscaling of the still to be released N gauge 319 has to be a good while away and any possible development of any planned 319 into a 321 must be unlikely in our lifetime even if being thought about so I can't help thinking this is a wide open goal with little chance of any competing model being announced this side of the next millennium.

The Bratchell model is nice, I have one in Silverlink livery but it lacks lighting unless you install it yourself, they don't currently offer the NSE 321/4 version which I personally would like, and if you want DCC you either need to use the intermittently available Replica motorised chassis or adapt something else, as the kit is primarily designed to work with Black Beetles.

Personally I would love to see an OO RTR 321/322 and given the huge range of liveries they have carried I'm sure enough interest could be generated. I wonder if Revolution could work with Rapido to share data for a Rapido 321 in return for some deal on the N gauge model to enable that to come to fruition? In that way Revolution keep to their core market of N gauge whilst Rapido get a head start on an OO model which has a widespread geographical spread with multiple livery options. Given the glacial speed at which Bachmann develop models any upscaling of the still to be released N gauge 319 has to be a good while away and any possible development of any planned 319 into a 321 must be unlikely in our lifetime even if being thought about so I can't help thinking this is a wide open goal with little chance of any competing model being announced this side of the next millennium.

When I spoke with replica at showcase a couple of weekends ago, they said they have plenty of stock of their chassis. Stock at shows might be a different matter as it could be hard to judge how many of each to take to a given show.

• RMweb Gold

When I spoke with replica at showcase a couple of weekends ago, they said they have plenty of stock of their chassis. Stock at shows might be a different matter as it could be hard to judge how many of each to take to a given show.

57' or 64'?

The Bratchell model is nice, I have one in Silverlink livery but it lacks lighting unless you install it yourself, they don't currently offer the NSE 321/4 version which I personally would like, and if you want DCC you either need to use the intermittently available Replica motorised chassis or adapt something else, as the kit is primarily designed to work with Black Beetles.....

The 321/4 is available as an "undecorated kit", just like all their other models. This has the advantage of clear plastic cab ends so adding working head/tail lights is not such a pain. I went for a Bachmann 150 chassis to power it.

Hi,

I am fairly certain that the N gauge thread on here is not the place to gain support for a 00 gauge 320/321. Why not start your own topic with a survey to see how much support there is? A proposition with a few hundred supporters would probably be easier to sell, especially as you would have done the initial speculative legwork rather than expecting a small or large company to do it. Have Bratchell said they are not interested?

The 321/4 is available as an "undecorated kit", just like all their other models. This has the advantage of clear plastic cab ends so adding working head/tail lights is not such a pain. I went for a Bachmann 150 chassis to power it.

Don't fancy masking up for the NSE livery, to be honest, which is the beauty of their pre-decorated bodies. I could probably cheat and use a GE section 321 which is currently available. It'll be on loan to the Euston line, as happened for driver training when new!

How well did the Class 150 chassis fit? I want to convert my Bratchell 321 to DCC and was thinking along the same lines but I did wonder if there was any discrepancy in the chassis length.

Hi Folks

I am in agreement with Mike harvey22. Please start a new thread for 00 Versions!!!

We haven't got the N Gauge models over the line yet, so we need this thread to concentrate on garnering as much support for N Gauge as we can.

Cheers,

Ged.

• Like 1

Don't fancy masking up for the NSE livery, to be honest, which is the beauty of their pre-decorated bodies. I could probably cheat and use a GE section 321 which is currently available. It'll be on loan to the Euston line, as happened for driver training when new!

How well did the Class 150 chassis fit? I want to convert my Bratchell 321 to DCC and was thinking along the same lines but I did wonder if there was any discrepancy in the chassis length.

You can do the red/white stripes with transfers. it's just the basic blue/grey and the cab end and roof that you'd need to do in paint, oh, and the window frames.

I found the chassis to be a reasonable fit. You do need something fitted to stop the body sitting too low on the chassis though.

You can do the red/white stripes with transfers. it's just the basic blue/grey and the cab end and roof that you'd need to do in paint, oh, and the window frames.

I found the chassis to be a reasonable fit. You do need something fitted to stop the body sitting too low on the chassis though.

Or you could be mad like me and respray the whole livery like I did on my N gauge class 317 conversion.

post-10222-0-20729000-1529049659_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 5

Hi,

I am not modelling N-gauge but I have opened a poll to express interest for the 320/321. I am also trying to spread word to get the N-gauge 320/321 over the hurdle but I accidentally locked my own post. Here’s a link for the OO scale poll for those interested. But help get the RevolutioN model made by spreading the word too!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135029-oo-scale-class-320321-questionaire-poll/?p=3205421&do=findComment&comment=3205421

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi there,

Yes - apologies for what feels like very slow progress on this model.

We are awaiting some amendments to the CADs (internal bits - nothing to do with the actual look of the model) and are trying to get this sorted and into tooling as quickly as we can. There is activity behind the scenes but nothing worth posting about just yet.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

Justin

Id well imagine RevolutioN could make it slightly cheaper and a lot better quality than Bratchell can

Love it when you ask Bratchell at shows why are his models so expensive and he looks at you like you have just killed his dog :D

• RMweb Premium

Well it’s a question which is both stupid and rude in equal measures IMO, not sure what response you expect.

Also, as said previously, shouldn’t this be in a separate OO gauge thread, as we’ve now got more posts about the Bratchell Models one than the forthcoming Revolution model in N!

• Like 1

Well it’s a question which is both stupid and rude in equal measures IMO, not sure what response you expect.

Also, as said previously, shouldn’t this be in a separate OO gauge thread, as we’ve now got more posts about the Bratchell Models one than the forthcoming Revolution model in N!

Agree with you there njee20

• Like 1

Its a perfectly acceptable question - I would expect an answer of what was special or particularly good about the model which increased the cost. The responce identifed above could mean thate there is nothing special and he is squezing the market until the pips squeek (low volumes - high cost).

• RMweb Premium

I'm really reluctant to perpetuate the grossly OT thread-within-a-thread, but as price setting is entirely their choice, and if they want to charge 'lots' (whatever that is) that's their prerogative, then it is a stupid question. You can appraise the model and decide if it's worth it. Asking the business owner "oi mate, why is your stuff so expensive?" is pointless. What, conceivably, would be the right (or indeed any) answer there, given "expensive" is wholly subjective? After all, a Bratchell EMU is really cheap compared to a CJM loco, or a car, or a house.

I think I'd be pretty dejected if someone found it good sport to criticise my models purely because they didn't like an aspect of it (in this case the price). Don't like it, don't buy it, simple. Luckily purchase is optional.

Now - can you create a Bratchell Models 321 thread to moan in please and leave this one alone :-)