The Patiala State Monorail Trainways

Stubby47

And, that most tasteful of vehicles, a Series 1 Landrover, by the looks of it.

K

Full marks! 1953 80" I bought it the summer I left school in 1979 so it is my first car if you can call it a car!

So it's just been a passing interest compared to trains .....

Or one of the two loves of my life....OUCH yes dear make that three!!

Edited by Graham456

I'm still mourning the loss of my 1957 88", which had to go when we moved to a house with one garage, rather than two, and the garage was needed as a layout room (sorry, mistyped that, I meant "utility room that just happens to have a layout in it").

K

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Gold

"Its full name is "Electric Elevated Railway (Suspension Railway) Installation, Eugen Langen System" (Anlage einer elektrischen Hochbahn (Schwebebahn), System Eugen Langen).[2] It is the oldest electric elevated railway with hanging cars in the world and is a unique system."

Not too sensible...

• Like 1

It's been done already,several times, the first almost as long ago as the real thing was built. I'll have to check which manufacturer, but there was certainly a commercial working tin toy/model of it c1900. Whether it was clockwork or electric I can't remember.

K

Here's a modern model http://www.pennula.de/modelleisenbahn-wuppertaler-schwebebahn-modellbahn-hochbahn-modulbaufreunde-ladenburg.htm

And a 1930s or 1950s tinplate one https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=304UJlw3P-0

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

If people had hung back at Taunton until 5.00 instead of dashing off they would have seen Stu's remarkable last minute scenery work, in the dying minutes he even got Trainy RajTrainFace racing round.

Stu1a.jpg

• Like 6

There's a blur there reassuringly suggestive of movement.

I've just heard from Channel Four that, due to budgetary constraints, the next five series of Indian Summers will be filmed on Stubby's layout.  Well done Stubby!

It's been done already,several times, the first almost as long ago as the real thing was built. I'll have to check which manufacturer, but there was certainly a commercial working tin toy/model of it c1900. Whether it was clockwork or electric I can't remember.

K

Here's a modern model http://www.pennula.de/modelleisenbahn-wuppertaler-schwebebahn-modellbahn-hochbahn-modulbaufreunde-ladenburg.htm

And a 1930s or 1950s tinplate one

Lutz Hielscher currently advertises models in H0 and N.

http://www.hielscher-dampfmodelle.de/en/Suspension-Railwails-/-Motorail/Gauge-H0-1:87

I believe Herpa also produced a model in the past.

The Hielscher model is battery powered and runs for up to six hours - almost long enough for a day at a show.

Tony

OK, herewith some early suspended monorail toys/models, all from "Mit Uhrwek, Dampf, und Strom" by Gustav Reder, railway engineer, Nazi propagandist, and author of the definitive history of model railways.

First is a French model of a telpher system from 1886, battery-electric (this is a seriously interesting piece of electrical engineering history - very early for a commercial toy)

Then a Bing model of a projected, but never built system, c1900 (which isn't actually a monorail, really)

And, Maerklin's Gauge 1 scale model of the Schwebebahn, available in clockwork or electric, just after 1900.

The book also contains pictures of insane monorail toys, but none as ingenious as Stubby's.

Kevin

post-26817-0-09954600-1461615217_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-29165000-1461615318_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-82934100-1461615380_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

Plastic curtain rail with adhesive copper strip for conductor.

Actually if you used swish curtain rail you won't need any electricity or motors, you would just stand at the end and pull the cord!

• Like 1

Ah, we are returning to a suggestion that I made earlier: the discreet use of string.

K

String has wonderful advantages....No solder required,No burnt fingers,No shorts,no burnt out motors, Pah ! to DCC faff, all breakdowns cured with a quick knot And the price! Well 1p worth of string will buy you yards of the stuff, just pull and the trains GO

Hum think I had better go to bed and lie down.......night night

Edited by Graham456
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

"Its full name is "Electric Elevated Railway (Suspension Railway) Installation, Eugen Langen System" (Anlage einer elektrischen Hochbahn (Schwebebahn), System Eugen Langen).[2] It is the oldest electric elevated railway with hanging cars in the world and is a unique system."

Not too sensible...

And I thought everybody knows it's really called the danglebahn

• RMweb Gold

I swear that when I was a kid I had a Magic Roundabout train with Dylan, Ermintrude etc on it that looked very similar to the PSMT. Except it had an ordinary compliment of wheels.

edit: Seems I was wrong

https://www.google.com/search?q=magic+roundabout+toy+train&safe=off&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjxsdC48KrMAhVO7WMKHdXKD9oQsAQIHA&biw=1920&bih=901#imgrc=_

Edited by JCL
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not too sensible...

It isn't unique, there's a short one in Dresden.