Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Gold

Why not the chips and speakers are small enough? I've got sound in two 0.6.0 HOm steam locos and they are no bigger than the Peckett. They use the next18 micro decoders and sugar cube speakers from ESU and I see Bachmann are now starting to use these for sound.

I've said for ages that it would be relatively easy to incorporate the space for decoder and speaker in the design filling the gap with a weight for those who want traction over dcc sound ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's something to do with the Chinese New Year displacing Christmas. Might help if they just introduce models that are actually in the warehouse....Yes, they have given the date via Hattons email. I just hope the motor is improved over other recent models. The motor is about the least expensive item to specify, but Hornby often fail to get decent suppliers, picking purely on cost.

• 2 weeks later...

How about this for an idea Hornby - issue some H&P lettered wagons to go with the Peckett.  Apparently, H&P ad some 30 or so 6-plan 10 ton wagons of their own, labelled "H&P Ltd" in white on a purple-brown background.  Just right for the period around 1900 - 1910.  Must sell better than some f the planned Hornby wagons. 

• Like 4

How about this for an idea Hornby - issue some H&P lettered wagons to go with the Peckett.  Apparently, H&P ad some 30 or so 6-plan 10 ton wagons of their own, labelled "H&P Ltd" in white on a purple-brown background.  Just right for the period around 1900 - 1910.  Must sell better than some f the planned Hornby wagons. 

If not it would make a great little modelling project! I'm glad you posted about it.

Thanks Geoff.

If you look at the photos taken around 1900 here there's no sign of any of their own wagons, but a wide variety of mainline company wagons that aren't available RTR or as kits. This 1920 photo does show their own PO wagons though, so I wonder when they were introduced.

According to the article in "Railway Bylines of Dec 2013, H&P purchased 5 new wagons from Gloucester RC&W in 1908, numbereedd 21 - 25.  10 are recorded as having been purchased previously, records indicating that at least another 14 had been purchased between 1875 and 1900.  The photo you refer to of the 2 Black Hawthorn locos and six of the H&P liveried coal wagons is noted as "probably a posed turn of the century view" rather than the 1920 date quoted.  One wld also assume that since These are normal coal wagons, they would have gone out onto the GWR or SER/SECR main line.  It. would seem therfore that they wold be extremely suitable to go with the Peckett.  Can Hornby manage it by October?

According to the article in "Railway Bylines of Dec 2013, H&P purchased 5 new wagons from Gloucester RC&W in 1908, numbereedd 21 - 25.  10 are recorded as having been purchased previously, records indicating that at least another 14 had been purchased between 1875 and 1900.  The photo you refer to of the 2 Black Hawthorn locos and six of the H&P liveried coal wagons is noted as "probably a posed turn of the century view" rather than the 1920 date quoted.  One wld also assume that since These are normal coal wagons, they would have gone out onto the GWR or SER/SECR main line.  It. would seem therfore that they wold be extremely suitable to go with the Peckett.  Can Hornby manage it by October?

Well, I don't know whether Hornby could (and they might, I suppose) but I note that POWsides will sell you suitable transfers or, apparently, lettered kits.

http://www.powsides.co.uk/www.powsides.co.uk/info.php?p=0&search=huntley

The Gloucester RC&W type opens are available as kits which would be more accurate than anything Hornby might sell you if you've the inclination. Out of my timeframe, modelling-wise but I will certainly buy a Peckett.

Adam

• Like 1

Yes, I have been in touch with powsides but they have only one in stock, which I bought.  Unfortunately, they are not sure when any more will be available, but I have asked them to let me know when some more arrive and I will post it here.  Also West Wales Wagon Works produced some in 2005 for a MRC Exhibition near Reading - but only 147 and they were all sold out inside a few days.

• Like 1

It would be nice if one of these (fireless steam shunter) was being produced as well!

Just in case it is of interest, there have been fireless types in HO ranges. The appearance of most UK fireless types I have seen is not unlike that of their continental cousins.

Out of interest, is that the fireless hooked up to the High Presure Hot Water supply for a refill? Very UK industrial practise as I first saw it. Some 'convenient' location where the poor old driver has to scramble up a ladder by the looks of it. Imagine that with the rain teeming down.

Out of interest, is that the fireless hooked up to the High Presure Hot Water supply for a refill? Very UK industrial practise as I first saw it. Some 'convenient' location where the poor old driver has to scramble up a ladder by the looks of it. Imagine that with the rain teeming down.

It looks like it. That's the clearest I've ever seen the photo, as the original print is nowhere near as clear as that. Scanning it has brought out details I've never noticed before. I do remember it was a pretty damp and misty day when I was there.

• Like 1

I would expect that people buying H&P wagons would need more than one, so it would be nice to see sets of 10 or more differently-numbered wagons being offered.

Whilst I’d agree with that we’ll be lucky if we get a triple pack, going by past performance.