Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

The logistics of producing another run of models in 'primer' would probably end up costing more than the fully finished ones.  I think most people fail to take into account the costs of doing a separate run (with possibly potentially fewer sales)  Shipping, packaging, and distribution all costs.

The fact that Hornby are doing two, I believe, in the 'leaf green' colour (sorry re-read the info, and it's only 'Dodo' that's in Leaf Green) surely provides the nearest we are ever likely to get to a primer finish.  If one is prepared to paint over a primer finish, then surely it isn't too difficult to remove the lining and overpaint the base colour?

This, and several other 'industrials' in the offing, make a small, probably modem type, layout a must for me.   Docks have been done to death a bit, perhaps a sugar beet processing plant might be good? 

Edited by Adams442T
  • Like 1

I'll wait to see how these DCC locos perform over Insulfrog slips.... I must have seen real ones when delivering all along the ship canal from Weast to Eccles in 1959, in fact I do remember a saddle tank at a sewerage works near Salford but whether it was an 0-4-0 or not I dont know. Industrial locos were not my thing in steam days.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

The logistics of producing another run of models in 'primer' would probably end up costing more than the fully finished ones.  I think most people fail to take into account the costs of doing a separate run (with possibly potentially fewer sales)  Shipping, packaging, and distribution all costs.

The fact that Hornby are doing two, I believe, in the 'leaf green' colour (sorry re-read the info, and it's only 'Dodo' that's in Leaf Green) surely provides the nearest we are ever likely to get to a primer finish.  If one is prepared to paint over a primer finish, then surely it isn't too difficult to remove the lining and overpaint the base colour?

This, and several other 'industrials' in the offing, make a small, probably modem type, layout a must for me.   Docks have been done to death a bit, perhaps a sugar beet processing plant might be good? 

British Sugar at Wissington and York  would provide good inspiration!

See Paul Bartlett's photographs, links below!

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bscyork

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/sugarwissington

There's a rather nice article in the February 2013 issue of Railway Bylines featuring the two Peckett 0-4-0 Saddle Tanks Employed by the British Aluminium Co at Burntisland. works no 1376 of 1915 and 1579 of 1921.    There's no indication of the type, but the saddle tanks are in two sections, rather than the 3 sections of the type modelled by Hornby.

There's a colour photo on the front cover of the older loco, in an unlined green, darker than the "leaf green" and more akin to their MSC green, with lots of polished metalwork, including the makers plate, the British Aluminium company plate on the tank, the dome and the copper chimney top! This must have been exceptional for an industrial loco in September 1968.

Its also a tiddler, the cab roof is barely higher than the top of a steel 16T mineral wagon.

And that expectation is just one of the reasons why nobody offers the option; for every one sold in primer there would be one less sold fully finished.

Someone better tell the Americans that. With the multitude of livery possibilities for single prototypes over on the other side of the pond they've been offering unpainted versions for years.

The Broadway NW2/SW7 is a good example. Eighteen livery versions with 30 different running numbers and two unpainted examples available.

http://www.broadway-limited.com/2656emdsw7switcherunpaintedparagon2sounddcdccho.aspx

With the first high quality small RTR industrial becoming available Hornby will never be able to produce all the produced liveries to satisfy everybody.  Whats to say an un-decorated version would not enhance sales?

If the Americans can make un-decorated versions profitable whats to say Hornby can't?

Maybe it's time for some fresh thinking on our side of the water.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

Given the shortness of Dodo's name, and the running number 11 being on a plate, it should be easy to rename or renumber one or other of these for the average siding.  

Most Pecketts were green - often under the muck - so a typical small industry loco is comparatively easy to do.

For Wissington you will need the DJM Hudswell Clarke, and the longest static grass you can find to represent the permanent way- some pics of Wissington show the loco up to its bufferbeams in grass.

Les

• RMweb Premium

When did the MSC Peckett last until, and would it have been around at the same time as the Sentinals?

The last steam locomotive operating in Trafford park was not withdrawn until 1973 but that was a Barclay. There were quite a few steam locomotives around a decade earlier so its quite possible that they could be seen together. There's always railway modellers rule # 1. :D

Edited by PhilJ W

With the first high quality small RTR industrial becoming available Hornby will never be able to produce all the produced liveries to satisfy everybody.  Whats to say an un-decorated version would not enhance sales?

If the Americans can make un-decorated versions profitable whats to say Hornby can't?

P

Well, presumably someone at Hornby is monitoring these posts (one would hope anyway) so if it appears that there is enough demand they just might do it. If Porcy gets 100+ likes/agrees on his post we might just have the start of a movement. The time line is good as the model is not due out until October and really Hornby can leave out a step in production by sending the model unpainted which is the way most US and Canadian RTR undecorated arrive.

Cheers,

David

edited to add more fuel.

Edited by davknigh

edited to add more fuel.

Can we create a firestorm? 

Somehow I doubt it but it would be nice to see British manufactures try something different. Might lead to Hornby selling a line of airbrushes, pre-thinned paint and transfer packs. Just the thing for those Airfix models and enhancing Hornby Group profits.

P

• RMweb Premium

When did the MSC Peckett last until, and would it have been around at the same time as the Sentinals?

The last steam locomotive operating in Trafford park was not withdrawn until 1973 but that was a Barclay. There were quite a few steam locomotives around a decade earlier so its quite possible that they could be seen together. There's always railway modellers rule # 1. :D

The MSC started using the Sentinel diesels in 1959 so theres plenty of opportunity to have them alongside steam.

Can you paint? The Yanks are probably no better model painters than people on this side of the pond, but the major difference is they are amply provided with very fine transfer sheets not merely for insignia but full decoration by Microscale Decals and other firms.

Can we create a firestorm? 

Somehow I doubt it but it would be nice to see British manufactures try something different. Might lead to Hornby selling a line of airbrushes, pre-thinned paint and transfer packs. Just the thing for those Airfix models and enhancing Hornby Group profits.

P

Humbrol already have a great starter airbrush and a range of paints with thinners. Arifix has some idea of transfers. I've made airfix models before and the transfers are top notch.

Someone better tell the Americans that. With the multitude of livery possibilities for single prototypes over on the other side of the pond they've been offering unpainted versions for years.

The Broadway NW2/SW7 is a good example. Eighteen livery versions with 30 different running numbers and two unpainted examples available.

http://www.broadway-limited.com/2656emdsw7switcherunpaintedparagon2sounddcdccho.aspx

P

One factor in the success of American issues of model 'primed' locos is that there are many varieties of common use locomotives manufactured by companies like GM over many areas of the country, unlike the restriction of company specific designs that we had in the UK.

If Hornby could run to 18 livery versions I'm sure they would be delighted, let alone offering 30 running numbers for them!  This has been a non-starter in the past when model manufacturers have offered unnumbered locos, the majority have fought shy of purchasing them and I don't believe this would be any different.

As I said in my previous post when they're offering a loco in the standard livery, Leaf Green, how hard is it to remove lining, respray and come up with your own livery if you feel you need a change?  For me I will be getting a 'Dodo', respraying it, and then distressing and weathering it to let the Leaf Green show through.

Many thanks to avonside 1563 for the Peckett link above.  It is surprising just how many are in Leaf Green, despite the ravages of time and rust, not all W4's admittedly, but I think there can be little doubt that if you wanted a Peckett that's the colour it came in!

Edited by Adams442T
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can you paint? The Yanks are probably no better model painters than people on this side of the pond, but the major difference is they are amply provided with very fine transfer sheets not merely for insignia but full decoration by Microscale Decals and other firms.

There's also a significant freelance tradition over there of creating one's own railroad (often a might-have-been link line between two major roads) and devising the liveries to go with it.

J.

• RMweb Gold

P

I also notice that the undecorated Broadway locos are the same price as the fully finished ones............

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just got the latest Steam Days magazine (March 2016), always a mag with quality images, and on page 36 in the colour photo feature on Scottish steam is a lovely shot of a grubby green Peckett 0-4-0 (works number 1390), taken in 1964 at a scrapyard, Young and Co, on the Clyde - well worth a look. 

cheers,

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Email from Hattons this morning that the Pecketts are now expected in November. 

Actually it said on or after October 31st. The previous notice said October 8th as the date and the one before that mentioned the end of August. The dates are getting closer together, could this be A Good Thing? Let's just hope Barclays holds off doing anything silly.

Cheers,

David