Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

https://www.flickr.com/photos/taffytank/14133059104/in/photostream/

A nice photograph here, not entirely sure if it's a W4, but of a very similar design 

Paul A. 

A marvelous study for a bit of heavy weathering from the oil stains on the saddle tank and chimney from the lubricator to the welded repair patch on the tank side. It would take a fair bit of skill to do this convincingly without over doing it.

Cheers,

David

A nice photograph here, not entirely sure if it's a W4, but of a very similar design 

Paul A. 

Paul A. 

Just what I like, a clean engine :)

There were plenty of locos in worse condition than this one but not enough people chasing them with colour film in their cameras until very late in the day.....

Les

PS- tried to edit to remove the duplication of the box at the top but the site isn't having it.  Sorry!

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

Apologies for asking an ill-informed and potentially ignorant question but...

Was there much similarity between this W4 and the R1 Type Peckett locos? The prototype I am looking to model was an R1 so I just wondered if there was a close family resemblance?

Just exposing my lack of knowledge and expertise here with regard to the subject matter but wondered if someone with more of a clue could offer some insight (however basic!)? As we say in the frozen north "...shy bairns get nowt..."

Cheers,

David

• 3 weeks later...

I got a notification from that nice shop in Liverpool with the same information about the liveries. They also mentioned a delivery date of October 8th 2016 which pushes things back a bit, sigh.

Cheers,

David

Being local and having lobbied for the H&P livery on the Engine Shed site - I think I am honour bound to order one (or two or perhaps a rainbow selection!!). However while the livery of Dodo may be correct I am not sure they have accurately modelled the curved roof   (perhaps the cognoscenti could advise -straight face :smileclear: !!)); and a modelled version of the sacking version door of Nelson would definitely be a talking point.

Hornby have really tried & produced good result with these liveries.

The era of Desmond & Smoky Joe is over at last!

Dava

If only.

You can get three or four (dependent on pricing) Caly Pugs/101s/other 4 wheel oddities for the price of a Peckett. There will always be a place for Smokey Joe at the bottom of the pecking order!

The interesting thing is that Hornby seem to have someone on board who likes the Manchester Ship Canal company.  There's a Sentinel on the way in their livery, and now a Peckett.  I suppose you could run both on the same layout, provided the Peckett looked really run down...

Edited by Hroth

And there was me trying to reign in my spending on trains this year!! Pre orders now placed for an MSC and the Huntley & Palmer ones :-)

Going to need a bigger cabinet for my industrial loco collection at this rate...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We'd still like to hear from anyone with colour material of Peckett W4s in service or with first hand accounts of livery details. There's a wealth of employment for these little locos, but a distinct lack of coverage, especially from their time in Swansea Docks.

If you have material that you don't want to share with the world at large, then use the message facility and we can chat out of the glare of the internet.

Thanks all for the input so far...

• Like 4

There's a wealth of employment for these little locos.

As you say, with the wealth of employment these locos had and the myriad of liveries the locos started out & ended up with; I'd still like to think that "undecorated" will be one option Hornby will consider.

P

If only.

The interesting thing is that Hornby seem to have someone on board who likes the Manchester Ship Canal company.  There's a Sentinel on the way in their livery

The MSC had pretty much dropped its own livery with the delivery of the Sentinels, they were delivered in the standard Sentinel livery of blue with basic MSC lettering and numbering. As a livery to offer, it's pretty much a no brainer being based on the existing blue one.

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/sentinel-dh16-4dh-msc.html

As you say, with the wealth of employment these locos had and the myriad of liveries the locos started out & ended up with; I'd still like to think that "undecorated" will be one option Hornby will consider.

P

Agree - undecorated but with lining which appears to have been a standard finish. It shouln't be too much of a problem to rename DODO or No.11, it just needs someone to make the old GWR names used on 47s in brass.

Agree - undecorated but with lining which appears to have been a standard finish. It shouln't be too much of a problem to rename DODO or No.11, it just needs someone to make the old GWR names used on 47s in brass.

Personally I'd settle for one in undercoat/primer to enable anyone to add their own livery. Not much point having one lined if it's the wrong colour! (And naturally,I'd expect an unpainted model to be sold at a lower price than a painted one).

Judging by the write up on the Hornby site the engines were delivered in 'leaf green' and lined out leaving the job of numbering or naming to the purchaser. This would seem to be a good starting point for Hornby. Given the nature of the engines many of them will end up being re-named anyway (I know mine will be) so why not make life easier by following real industry practice?

Cheers,

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Personally I'd settle for one in undercoat/primer to enable anyone to add their own livery. Not much point having one lined if it's the wrong colour! (And naturally,I'd expect an unpainted model to be sold at a lower price than a painted one).

And that expectation is just one of the reasons why nobody offers the option; for every one sold in primer there would be one less sold fully finished.

If they sold at the same price and Hornby thereby made a couple of quid more profit out of doing so, you might be in with a chance. Otherwise, what's in it for them?

Anyway, apart from the need to take a fibreglass brush to the lining, what is the practical difference between painting over a factory applied livery and painting over factory applied primer?

And would that be red oxide primer or grey primer,...... ?

John

• Like 1