Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

Excellent news. A long time coming I feel. Must admit I didn't think it would be Hornby that would brave doing a decent representation of a true industrial loco, and now they've got two in the offing (three, if you count the two variants of the Sentinel). Great stuff.

I will be having one of these .I have a track already laid  for an  industrial micro with an oval of 6 inch  radius track and three points.As long as it does the 6 inch radius which it probably will  it will be perfect .I assume I can fot kadees .i was planning to use a Bachmann Percy which does the radius .Its amazing what cranks round such a small radius.The Bachmann 0-6-0  uS Saddletank and Porter work fine .

• RMweb Premium

Very nice. Not a small industrial layout fan, but may be tempted if price is right, and I've got more faith in Hornby getting it right! I also like this new approach of showing a tangible model on Engine Shed, much better than a pic of a subject that's 4 years from delivery.

Well done Hornby!

• RMweb Gold

Let's just hope it has something resembling accurate Slide bars and connecting rods unlike Hornby's previous 0-4-0 offerings

I think it is fair to say this won't be Smokey Joe or a Desmond!

Or worse a Nothern Nellie (still have mine!)

• Like 1

Ok, its complaint time...what (insert derogatory term here) talked Hornby into this one? Minerva really put me against the ropes but I managed to resist (just), this is a different kettle of fish and the cranked Sentinel really isn't helping! Thats a whole layout in a gauge which I don't touch that I feel compelled to build. Sod liveries, I'll take 'em in any colour, or better yet; no colour!

• Like 2

Think its a nice little engine that would suit a new growth area of interest, with sentinels, industrial's and everything all being popular. The polls are right about main engines, but the industrial tanks have never really featured in categories until recently. I think Hornby are onto something, credit to them for following their intuition, but then also if they release engines that can then be painted into your own colour and choice. 

If this materialises High Level Kits would be interested in putting a scale chassis under it. The Pug has been very popular over the years it's been available so something similar to that...

Would that be right up your alley?  Wheels might need a bit of thought?

You could always shoot up the ECML and measure the one that's dumped in someone's back garden near to the level crossing at Beal

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Livery choices need to be on the Hornby Forum page, not here!

Why? There's probably far more traffic generated on RMweb and there's nothing to stop Hornby contributing on here as well.

P

Cute and very small in loco terms. So let's hope there is room for a decoder, a big stay-alive (important) and speaker. 

He's right. Anyone got the inside track to check that with someone on Hornby's design team? It doesn't need to weigh  a ton, but it could use the help of a stay alive; and designed to accomodate this kit with a suitable void inside, or a removable ballast weight, would be a popular move.

If this materialises High Level Kits would be interested in putting a scale chassis under it. The Pug has been very popular over the years it's been available so something similar to that...

Yes please Chris. Though as Porcy says, wheels might be an issue - Pecketts were quite distinctive in style. 

Adam

Yes please Chris. Though as Porcy says, wheels might be an issue - Pecketts were quite distinctive in style. 

Ha. We could always modify the Hornby originals when they arrive. Can you tell I've started playing with a lathe? (Smug)

post-508-0-22736800-1443799444.gif

P

• Like 1

I think it is fair to say this won't be Smokey Joe or a Desmond!

Or worse a Nothern Nellie (still have mine!)

My "Smokey Joe" and "Caledonian Railways" 0F Pugs run so smoothly and are very refined...I think you may be referring to the older models. The newer released from 2013 onwards are just superb refined runners.

IF - Hornby intend to introduce this Peckett 0-4-0ST, it would be helpful / nice / advantageous (delete as appropriate) if they broke with tradition and produced painted (even limited run unpainted ?) examples, without names, numbers or company logos.

I think the opportunity to have one painted but unlettered (which Hornby International/Rivarossi and many other US outline manufacturers have done) is perfect for an industrial tank. Works grey might be the answer here, though I would have thought black to be useful to more people.

A Peckett has been at the top of my wishlist for a long time, I sure hope 'Kilmersdon' is on the cards... Dark Green with the red running plate,

That would be a nice choice indeed.

How about one in works lined grey?

They could do another in early-60s deep grime and a couple in actual/possible company liveries. Personally, I think the "Huntly and Palmers" livery  takes the biscuit!  And a collection of Edwardian workmen to go with the loco would be icing on the cake...

Assuming three or four liveries are on offer the works lined grey might be a good choice, though it doesn't do much for me.

I think the deep grime option makes a lot of sense.

My preference of course is GWR green, though I personally don't have any evidence of whether members of the "W class" passed into GWR ownership at some time.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

The best news I've had all day!

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Why is unpainted so essential? Why not just buy and repaint if they do an unlined one. Rubbing down to repaint will only take a few minutes if it's lined to remove any signs of printing ;)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

Don't forget DJM's Hudswell Clark to come as well ;)

Good stuff, nice to see that the manufacturers are listening!

The day of high-fidelity industrial locomotives is officially on the way. I think this opens lots of opportunities for more industrial workings on steam-era layouts in addition to more bucolic branch lines.