Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Premium

I'm sorry for voicing an opinion. I thought this was a place for discussion of thoughts. I was not, as ruggedpeak put it, having a whinge about the announcement. I made that clear in the first line. I am delighted about the announcement.

I'm sorry for voicing an opinion. I thought this was a place for discussion of thoughts. I was not, as ruggedpeak put it, having a whinge about the announcement. I made that clear in the first line. I am delighted about the announcement.

A valid point but better discussed in the thread about the blog rather than the Peckett?

I'm sorry for voicing an opinion. I thought this was a place for discussion of thoughts...

Never be sorry for having an opinion and communicating it. There's no hard line rule I can see that empowers posters to claim 'THIS AND ONLY THIS' may be discussed in a thread; the announcement style is as integral to the thread as the subject matter of the model. As a quick glance at the first post confirms.

(Probably nothing)

I'd like to start with that because let's face it, it probably is. A little while ago I would have dismissed this straight away but after the sentinels we'll see.

I've just watched Hornby said latest Facebook video on the LSWR 48 coaches. They look great however in the background is an 0-4-0 saddle tank in what appears to the white test plastic or possibly the 3D printer preproduction style. It isn't a production L&Y tank as that is far too old to have a model of this type and there is no motor in the cab. It's also definitely not the railroad caley tank. Personally I think it has a somewhat Peckett look to it but that's a personal opinion...

Would there be interest in a  separate general thread on Hornby's new style of dripfeeding product announcements via their website, and what this might mean for the 'traditional' annual announcement/catalogue bash?

• Like 1

Never be sorry for having an opinion and communicating it. There's no hard line rule I can see that empowers posters to claim 'THIS AND ONLY THIS' may be discussed in a thread; the announcement style is as integral to the thread as the subject matter of the model. As a quick glance at the first post confirms.

Would there be interest in a  separate general thread on Hornby's new style of dripfeeding product announcements via their website, and what this might mean for the 'traditional' annual announcement/catalogue bash?

I can't say I'm at all worried about how model companies announce their products. I'm just happy that such lovely models as (say) the Heljan Metropolitan electric locos or the Hornby D16 have been manufactured, and there are so many others in the pipeline.

• RMweb Premium

A Peckett, a single Mk I looming over it, a yard or two of track and a short, obviously new platform and you've got most 1970s preservation startups to a tee. Actually, it would make a perfect trainset for nostalgic 40-somethings getting back into the Hobby.

• Like 2

Industrial tanks are some way outside my normal range so apologies for some basic questions.

Did the Port of London Authority (or anyone else in E London) use Pecketts?

The Hornby model looks like it might be a very suitable loco for the boxfile, and the PLA would be the most plausible non-BR operator

And can someone advise if this little beauty is a W4 Peckett :

post-80-0-43919000-1443881907.jpg

Fulstow, of the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway , demonstrating that fledgling preservation schemes with a Peckett and BR coaches are not confined to the 1970s

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Aha. The law of sod applies again.

Bet they won't do this livery though!

attachicon.gif2015-01-24 21.40.19.jpgattachicon.gif2015-01-24 21.41.26.jpg

Roger at CSP's not going to be pleased...

A mere 'like' doesn't seem enough.

Great bit of modelling. Certainly got me thinking. I can see a few more minions emerging.

I can see a 'Kevin' and 'Stewart' coming my way........

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A terrific announcement for sure and it is nice to see Hornby doing less glamorous types. Their Sentinnel diesel shunter was an excellent little model that went down well and provided all sorts of possibilities for modellers. I'm confident that Hornby will do a good job with these Peckett models, for all that Hornby are always linked to the more exotic big express steamers when they have modelled the more prosaic types they've tended to do a pretty good job (if you look past the antiquated railroad tooling). On the new Hornby approach to announcements, I think it is a huge improvement. The annual big bang approach was good for a few days of excitement but a rolling schedule of announcements is better I think and gives them a lot more flexibility.

It is probably a 21st Century equivalent of a Triang Nellie. The latter provided a mighty useful chassis for other types of locos and no doubt this on will serve the same purpose for some railway modellers. One point though; Nellie had an 8' 3" wheelbase while the Peckett appears to be very much shorter, so how will it perform on the many layouts and trainsets that use Insulfrog turnouts....?