Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

I suspect that, once manufacturers have taken the plunge, and, I hope, been rewarded by good sales, we will see more small industrials.

Hornby may have been encouraged by their Sentinel diseasel, but their Pecket and DJM's Hudswell will be the proof of the pudding.  

A very welcome addition!

When I saw Kilmersden in 1965 it was in malachite green and red not the olive green of its preserved years.

Regards

Definitely getting at least one of these. I remember the one at Culter Paper Mill [just outside Aberdeen] being a green colour which on reflection probably wasn't far off malachite green. It certainly wasn't a "livery" and I rather had the impression this was the standard ex-works colour, ie; Pecketts came in green unless the customer wanted something different, just as wee Barclays came in light blue.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is it me, or in this photo is Hornby's W4 mounted on Bulleid Firth Brown wheels?

https://admin.Hornby.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Peckett_1_Web.jpg

Regards,

Matt

It's obviously an EP...Yes it is Bullied wheels.

These are the wheels the final model will have - http://2e7fd430838d304f1516-467f5d9f2ca7b7b12f8a116e60ea9c1d.r77.cf3.rackcdn.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/3/r3429.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I'm hoping Hornby do one of these as 'George Jennings' for the Parkstone pottery line. I'd suggest it to them on their forum but I don't have a colour photo for the livery.

• Like 1

Without meaning to come across as rude, or start an argument...

I was aware it was an EP (As you say, it is obvious), and I'm aware the wheels that will be fitted to the model are spoked. I was merely questioning whether they were Bulleid FB wheels fitted to the model, since in my mind the front bogie wheels of a MN never had a crank pin. In a sense, I recognised them, but found it difficult to understand.

So I guess, my question was more: Of all the spare wheels they could have fitted from their 'bargain bins', why BFB wheels and not a set lifted from a more apt model to better represent the EP?

Apologies, I should have made myself more clear.

Regards,

Matt

• RMweb Gold

Without meaning to come across as rude, or start an argument...

I was aware it was an EP (As you say, it is obvious), and I'm aware the wheels that will be fitted to the model are spoked. I was merely questioning whether they were Bulleid FB wheels fitted to the model, since in my mind the front bogie wheels of a MN never had a crank pin. In a sense, I recognised them, but found it difficult to understand.

So I guess, my question was more: Of all the spare wheels they could have fitted from their 'bargain bins', why BFB wheels and not a set lifted from a more apt model to better represent the EP?

Apologies, I should have made myself more clear.

Regards,

Matt

I imagine it was just the quick and easy option to get a set of serviceable wheels under the 3D printed shell to check the overall proportions.

Dead easy to fix crank pins through the holes in a BFB bogie wheel - damn near impossible to drill through a spoke.

John

That will be irresistible if they do one in Huntley & Palmer livery - no use whatsoever to me but definitely one to buy and invent a tale to justify it!

I'd prefer an H&P fireless loco, as I drove one of them, but a Peckett or two would fit my favoured modelling period, and a small corner of H&P's system could make an interesting micro layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd prefer an H&P fireless loco, as I drove one of them, but a Peckett or two would fit my favoured modelling period, and a small corner of H&P's system could make an interesting micro layout.

I happen to have a 40ft (to the inch) scale drawing of the H&P factory/railway layout and the original engine shed site would make a smashing little cameo scene (viewed from the gasworks side)

That will be irresistible if they do one in Huntley & Palmer livery - no use whatsoever to me but definitely one to buy and invent a tale to justify it!

musical_note_red.gif… ’Cos Huntley and Palmers make ’em

Like biscuits ought to be.musical_note_red.gif

Brit15

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

With reference to the BFB wheels on the EP, imagine if Mr Bulleid had designed locos for Pecketts! An airsmoothed 'Beast of Maerdy'? Q1 style shunters?

Seriously this looks an attractive little model.

Dava

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm not familiar with the H&P livery so I googled it - a bit disappointing really as I was hoping for some thing like this.

I never knew that - I nearly bought a full-sized H&P fireless loco a few years ago!

I have got one in 00 somewhere I built from a very butchered L&Y Pug chassis but alas it's never really run all that well - I think the operation to reverse the cylinders was too much for it!

Richard Picton did a painting of one some years ago:

http://pictonart.com/photo_12096247.html

I did once design a layout based on Reading Low Level Goods Yard, into which the HP locos ran - if I can get it to work in Anyrail I'll post it on here somewhere.

Incidentally the H&P fireless locos now have a road named after them by Reading station - Bagnall Way. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

R3429 is Hunlty & Palmers D

Which then raises the question of what make A, B and C were, and who makes them! And did they have more than one Peckett?

http://www.huntleyandpalmers.org.uk/ixbin/hixclient.exe?a=query&p=huntley&f=generic_largerimage_postsearch.htm&_IXFIRST_=39&_IXMAXHITS_=1&m=quick_sform&tc1=i&partner=huntley&text=railway&tc2=e&s=mENkley6D5U