Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

One point though; Nellie had an 8' 3" wheelbase while the Peckett appears to be very much shorter, so how will it perform on the many layouts and trainsets that use Insulfrog turnouts....?

Probably poorly, much like the lanky Pug. Although, if they give this chassis front axle compensation, this would help the pickup through points.

Lets hope they figure something out.

Would a large capacitor help with momentary dead zones? You would lose some slight control on stopping, but it wouldnt drop out as much.

• RMweb Gold

If you have insulfrogs then yes there is a possibility of stalling but then it's your choice to use them so bear it in mind when choosing short wheelbase locos ;)

Technology moves on and electrofrog isn't exactly new now, indeed Unifrog is likely to replace it eventually as they need to retool and that gives the best of both as it can be adapted to either and has a much shorter insulated section than traditional insulfrog.

It's a good opportunity to learn the simple wiring steps that allow you to use electrofrog points instead that do away with the insulated section of track. There are solutions if you want the loco and I learnt for exactly that reason when I started in 009 so small 4 wheel locos had a chance.

There's an issue in adding bigger  capacitors to the loco that would make dcc fitting more difficult as they would need removing and increase cost so whatever they choose it's not going to suit someone out of the box.

They will have looked at the main market and made the best compromise to suit like the sentinel. I managed to fit in a chip as designed to the Sentinel and added a bit of weight to improve the contact for ultra slow running reliability.

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

They will have looked at the main market and made the best compromise to suit like the sentinel. I managed to fit in a chip as designed to the Sentinel and added a bit of weight to improve the contact for ultra slow running reliability.

I'd hope that they will have stuck a nice big flywheel in there, although my experience with numerous short-wheelbase models on a now-antiquated-sort-it-out-insulfrog plank suggests that anything may go with reliability. Let's see if they match the Sentinel - or, as I'd like, far exceed it (much as I like mine). ARC Models could be rubbing their hands for alternative bodies if so.

Oh, and YESSSSSS!!! :)

• RMweb Premium

There's an issue in adding bigger  capacitors to the loco that would make dcc fitting more difficult as they would need removing and increase cost so whatever they choose it's not going to suit someone out of the box.

Don't understand the comment

What bigger capacitors?

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Don't understand the comment

What bigger capacitors?

Keith

Spitfire suggested a capacitor to act as an electronic flywheel up thread. They need to be fairly big to provide much effect so in such a small loco it's not going to be easy to find space so just trying to point out why it's unlikely to be chosen ;) Edited by PaulRhB

Late to this party, but I wanted to register my unqualified enthusiasm for this release.

Aside from the dearth of small RTR industrials (how many times have the 9 L&Y Pugs sold off by the LMS been forced to appear on layouts as a result?!?), this is a pre-grouping era design. 

For me, a late Victorian design is perfect, and, potentially, it answers a need that will not be met by DJH (without much hacking) whose own small industrial has  a post WW1 cab design.

I hope the Hornby model will be capable of representing the class near the start of its career.  

• Like 3

Regarding running through points I have one of the caley pugs they often ran with a wooden bodied tender. I scratch built the tender and permanently coupled the two together and fitted pickups to the tender. The same could apply to a GWR shunters wagon.

Now these locos didn't run with either but you could permanently couple another type of wagon instead.

• RMweb Gold

Shunters trucks are ok but not so common with Industrials especially in small yards where everything was close to hand. Sorting the track is easier.

Short wheelbase locos, even without compensated chassis, will run fine as long as care is taken to get track flat and gradient changes gradual. Using Electrofrog or handbuilt metal crossings on points helps a lot and is easy to do with just a little soldering of feeds to avoid shorts. People are put off by scary stories of how difficult it is but if you can find someone to show you it really is simple and opens up lots of other possibilities. Wiring in a simple switch to control them takes about 5 mins extra and allows you to switch the frog too but not essential as they can be used straight from the packet too if as long as you insulate loops so you don't get shorts there.

Another option is to buy one of the products for painting contact strips and reduce the insulfrog by painting part of it that joins up with the rails beyond the frog, just keep it clear of the crossing itself. It does require repainting occasionally but I have seen it used where a friend couldn't afford to replace all his points and did it in the yard for slow speed running.

For wiring up metal frogs a decent small tip iron costing down to £30, temperature control ones often on offer at Maplins, with 30-40w rating make it easy if you get proper lead solder from Eileens Emporium or similar, avoid lead free solder if you possibly can in my opinion it's rubbish 

(20w irons will do it but often struggle to transfer enough heat to the rail as really only designed for electronic components or wire).

https://www.eileensemporium.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=125&Itemid=9

Adding a bit of weight to the loco sometimes helps, metal crew and small shot weights and keeping track clean with regular light cleaning work wonders ;)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

This is really exciting news indeed! A Peckett has been at the top of my wishlist for a long time, I sure hope 'Kilmersdon' is on the cards... Dark Green with the red running plate, Yes Please! Me and a Friend have being dreaming up a layout for a few years now, depicting part something like the line leading to the colliery. Just need a fitting loco.

Though thinking about it, it's the S&D's 50 Anniversary of the Closure next year, and what livery is she in at the moment.... :jester: This could be a good sign indeed!

A very welcome addition!

When I saw Kilmersden in 1965 it was in malachite green and red not the olive green of its preserved years.

Regards

• Like 1

I used to drink in the Peckett's Flyer when I lived in Fishponds in the 80's. (just a couple of hundred yards away on Manor Rd))

Sadly it got refurbished, renamed and lost its jukebox with the heavy rock on it a long time ago.

I'll definitely buy at least one just for it being my local (engine)

Edited by D6975

• 2 weeks later...

This is really exciting news indeed! A Peckett has been at the top of my wishlist for a long time, I sure hope 'Kilmersdon' is on the cards... Dark Green with the red running plate, Yes Please! Me and a Friend have being dreaming up a layout for a few years now, depicting part something like the line leading to the colliery. Just need a fitting loco.

Though thinking about it, it's the S&D's 50 Anniversary of the Closure next year, and what livery is she in at the moment.... :jester: This could be a good sign indeed!

A very welcome addition!

When I saw Kilmersden in 1965 it was in malachite green and red not the olive green of its preserved years.

Kilmersdon is indeed very fetching in Prussian blue. In a statistical dead heat with a GWR livery, that 'preserved S&DJR' livery for Kilmersdon would certainly be my choice.

I'm keen on that six-wheeled coach it drags around as well. Another nice shot of them both here.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone advise of the class of Peckett P1050 "IRONSTONE" please?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31514768@N05/11327698725/in/photostream/

It looks similar to a W4, but I know other early Pecketts in the East Midlands Ironstone quarry industry were of the R2 classification...

Many thanks

Paul A. 

http://www.Hornby.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Old-Pecketts.jpg

Looks like a W4 to me....

The 0-4-0 0F Pug can be vastly improved by adding compensation to the front axle. There are instructions for it around here somewhere and it isn't hard to do. If a ham-fisted O gauge modeller like me can manage it! I do keep a small collection of 4mm scale stuff though for the sake of interest.

• 2 weeks later...