Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Captain Electra said:

It will indeed, along with the rectangular buffers.

Where does its say 59003 is being done as the GBRF one,it just says the sound file is off that locomotive.

Edited by ERIC ALLTORQUE
brain file corruption

17 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Where does its say 59003 is the GBRF one,it just says the sound file is off that locomotive.

"Other than 59003 (which after return from loan to HHPI in Germany, is operated by GBRf), the Class 59 fleet is operated today by DB Schenker and Mendip Rail (an ARC and FY joint venture)."

That statement is out of date in that Freightliner now own or operate all but 59003, because of where the contract with the work they do lies as far as I am aware.

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Maybe because GBRF only own one?

Roy

6 hours ago, TomScrut said:

"Other than 59003 (which after return from loan to HHPI in Germany, is operated by GBRf), the Class 59 fleet is operated today by DB Schenker and Mendip Rail (an ARC and FY joint venture)."

Sorry you guys,ive corrected the post to what i meant to say,i remember Dapol said they would be doing it when they got the sound file off it but its not part of this release was what i meant,doctor my brain hurts moment.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Sorry you guys,ive corrected the post to what i meant to say,i remember Dapol said they would be doing it when they got the sound file off it but its not part of this release was what i meant,doctor my brain hurts moment.

Gaugemaster have commissioned it in Europorte livery.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Is it the same size as on 66779 ? i'm sure there were 3D prints of a bell made for that 

The bell on 66779 is under the top centre headlight and the mounting bracket is slightly smaller - but I bet they'll do.

A search for 66779 on RMweb should throw up an answer to a supplier

66779 Carlton

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, newbryford said:

The bell on 66779 is under the top centre headlight and the mounting bracket is slightly smaller - but I bet they'll do.

A search for 66779 on RMweb should throw up an answer to a supplier

66779 Carlton

Thanks! s google search  found that shapeway produce them. As you say not quite the same but should do.

• Like 2

Took delivery of a National Power Class 59. It's got niggles like the doors but it was very well priced too. I look forward to giving it a run and perhaps getting some suitable wagons. I liked the Everard Junction video on improving it, especially the silencer so I might have a go at that too. 

• Like 2

I'm still deciding whether to purchase one of these or not.  Just recently been given the old Hornby 59 which i've cleaned up and added weight to.  Dapol 59 looks much better than the old Hornby one of course.

Does anyone know what these 2 holes on the Dapol 59 are in picture below that I've circled in red (credit to previous poster for the great photo!) ?

class59-holes.jpeg

45 minutes ago, NewSiding said:

Does anyone know what these 2 holes on the Dapol 59 are in picture below that I've circled in red (credit to previous poster for the great photo!) ?

Extras! It looks like the CAD was mirrored on the centre line, these holes shouldn't be there.

Jo

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/01/2023 at 14:54, Oulton TMD said:

Hi does anyone produce the bell  to go onto the class 59? 

16734488208352102344484766532457.jpg

When the Americans/Canadians were commisioned to build these the must have took it literaly to have all the bells and whistles........one wonders where the whistle is or did they supply a kettle for the tea.

Does anyone know if the next batch of class 59s are going to have some of the faults rectified, for example the incorrect NRN pods and the lighting issues?

Im guessing the exhaust issue wont get sorted, and on that not has anyone instead of modifying the exhaust on the Dapol model tried swapping it with a Hornby/Lima exhaust from their 59?

Hi All,

Give us a ‘Y’,

Give us an ‘E’,

Give us a ‘O’…..

Yesterday I collected my DCC fitted class 59 in the original Yeoman livery & very impressed I am with it too.

The loco has an substantial weight to it & looks and runs superbly.

If you are considering getting one of these, I would strongly recommend.

Get ‘em while you can!

BFCAD419-B84A-4AD2-8E6B-B8403ADEB86B.jpeg

I have finally got all the bits needed to install sound into my three Dapol 59s: Loksound v5 from DCKits with Legomanbiffo sounds, sugar cube speaker (plus the moulded ESU enclosure) and EM1™/Accurathrash™ speaker.

I was present at Merehead with Biff last year when he recorded the 59 with the Revolution Trains team on a foul and miserable rainy May morning. Despite the weather, it was quite special to be present at the recording of a locomotive and for it to happen at Merehead, the spiritual home of the 59s, made it extra special.

IMG_9666.jpg.f32f27c2f7925085260af15f7e36f788.jpg

IMG_9647.jpg.50f5014ed2933c43ace901865e2c2bd5.jpg

Having some personal attachment to the recording process meant there was only one choice when it came to sound equipping my 59s: Biff's new sound project.

I wanted to retain the high frequency whine and ying of the prototype alongside the bass of the engine so rather than just fitting an EM1, I decided to also fit a sugarcube speaker to provide the higher frequencies. Fitting the speakers was fairly straightforward. The EM1 had it's lugs removed on the trusty proxxon table saw and for the sugarcube I added the plastic ESU enclosure but without any of the spacer 'rings' as there isn't much space left once the EM1 is fitted. The sugarcube is 8ohms and the EM1 4 ohms. In series, this gives 12 ohms which is within the 4-32 ohm range for the Loksound V5. Be careful though, in parallel these are 2.57ohms combined which may damage your decoder! The sugarcube was fitted in a gap on the main circuit board (as circled in green). I was careful to use electrical tape to insulate the circuit board from any inadvertent shorts.

IMG_1061.jpg.0b15253da0c6e978c0ecafcfe8cc5d11.jpg

And here's the final result. Not too shabby!

Thanks to Biff as well as Mike and Ben from Revolution Trains.

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 13

5 minutes ago, lyneux said:

I have finally got all the bits needed to install sound into my three Dapol 59s: Loksound v5 from DCKits with Legomanbiffo sounds, sugar cube speaker (plus the moulded ESU enclosure) and EM1™/Accurathrash™ speaker.

I was present at Merehead with Biff last year when he recorded the 59 with the Revolution Trains team on a foul and miserable rainy May morning. Despite the weather, it was quite special to be present at the recording of a locomotive and for it to happen at Merehead, the spiritual home of the 59s, made it extra special.

IMG_9666.jpg.f32f27c2f7925085260af15f7e36f788.jpg

IMG_9647.jpg.50f5014ed2933c43ace901865e2c2bd5.jpg

Having some personal attachment to the recording process meant there was only one choice when it came to sound equipping my 59s: Biff's new sound project.

I wanted to retain the high frequency whine and ying of the prototype alongside the bass of the engine so rather than just fitting an EM1, I decided to also fit a sugarcube speaker to provide the higher frequencies. Fitting the speakers was fairly straightforward. The EM1 had it's lugged removed on the trusty proxxon table saw and for the sugarcube I added the plastic ESU enclosure but without any of the spacer 'rings' as there isn't much space left once the EM1 is fitted. The sugarcube is 8ohms and the EM1 4 ohms. In series, this gives 12 ohms which is within the 4-32 ohm range for the Loksound V5. Be careful though, in parallel these are 2.57ohms combined which may damage your decoder! The sugarcube was fitted in a gap on the main circuit board (as circled in green). I was careful to use electrical tape to insulate the circuit board from any inadvertent shorts.

IMG_1061.jpg.0b15253da0c6e978c0ecafcfe8cc5d11.jpg

And here's the final result. Not too shabby!

Thanks to Biff as well as Mike and Ben from Revolution Trains.

Nicely done Guy, and nice insight into the sound recording. That definitely sounds like a spot on for a 59, he's done a good job. Your mix of speakers works well, the EM1 alone can make GM engined locos sound odd. The true test will be to hear it doing about 10mph on a heavy train, fans going and the engine working hard!

The Dapol stock sound isn't bad but all the other 59s I've heard are blends of US 645 engined locos and 66s and just don't sound like a 59.

Jo

Something I'm thinking of doing with my '204 is giving the bogies a coat of matt varnish to flatten the plastic sheen, wondering "weather" (arf!) to add a hint of brake dust/track grime?

Aiui NP kept their fleet relatively clean?

My background is that in the 90s I spent a week of the year in W. Yorks and used a Metro Rover on at least one day. One year I alighted at Castleford and 204 in NP livery came through. A year later I did the same and 204 appeared again, this time shod in maroon and gold (I actually saw all but one of the fleet that week).

So I don't want to go mental on the weathering on 204, the forthcoming EWS 59 will remain pristine, just wondering how much grime to add to give it a working loco look.

C6T.

(Modelling period is loosely 96-99 btw.)

Edited by Classsix T

On 15/01/2023 at 09:59, Steadfast said:

Equal opportunities. Dapol are catering for the left handed shunters. 😉

Jo

Bachmann have done similar in the past as a favour to 4mm shunters...the real Spoon 'Sir Rowland Hill' had its eth connection opposite to their model...if you've had to ask driver to ease off 'cause the buffer prevents you from getting the plug out rather than handily being on the beam, you'll know what I mean.

C6T.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

Something I'm thinking of doing with my '204 is giving the bogies a coat of matt varnish to flatten the plastic sheen, wondering "weather" (arf!) to add a hint of brake dust/track grime?

Aiui NP kept their fleet relatively clean?

My background is that in the 90s I spent a week of the year in W. Yorks and used a Metro Rover on at least one day. One year I alighted at Castleford and 204 in NP livery came through. A year later I did the same and 204 appeared again, this time shod in maroon and gold (I actually saw all but one of the fleet that week).

So I don't want to go mental on the weathering on 204, the forthcoming EWS 59 will remain pristine, just wondering how much grime to add to give it a working loco look.

C6T.

(Modelling period is loosely 96-99 btw.)

A touch of brake dust you say?

1997 pic, linked from Flcikr.

59204 'VALE OF GLAMORGAN' KNOTTINGLEY 5/12/1997

Jo

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1