Phil Mc's workbench

Phil Mc

• RMweb Premium

Send them down!! BFO looks the dogs!

Alternatively, find a show oooop North that wants a half finished modern image layout and I'll bring it up.  :laugh:

There's room for the odd GW 57 on a Derby based layout................

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How did you fit the ploughs Phil and are the ones on the blue 57 a set of the new ones?

The ploughs are all fitted individually, they are fixed to the chassis at the 'front' of the loco, and to the bogie at the 'rear' of each loco.

I'll take some pics next time I call at my Dads (which is where the locos are!!), but the basic principle is-

glue a short piece of wire into the inner corner of the chassis, so it sticks straight down,

glue the back of the plough to the wire, with the upper edge of the plough up to the chassis, also making sure the front lower edge of the plough is parallel to the bufferbeam and the vertical inner edge is horizontal.

when happy both ploughs are in the right place I bend a piece of wire into a flattish Z shape, the exact shape isn't too vital, and glue it behind the bufferbeam and the plough.

It sounds far more complicated than it actually is !!

The 'rear' ploughs are glued to the end of the bogie and the side of the NEM pocket.

Hopefully pics will explain better than words !!

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Premium

SWMBO has just sent me on an errand, about 500 yds from my parents place, so I took the chance to call in & take some spectacularly bad close-up pics of the plough mounting method !! :pardon:

At the 'front'  I also trim the NEM pocket flush with the end of the bogie.

At the 'rear' it looks as though the coupling is glued in place, but the ploughs were mounted without the coupling there, & it was put back in the NEM pocket after.

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-16044000-1508782184_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-63703900-1508782194_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-29551100-1508782209_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-29192300-1508782229_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

SWMBO has just sent me on an errand, about 500 yds from my parents place, so I took the chance to call in & take some spectacularly bad close-up pics of the plough mounting method !! :pardon:

At the 'front'  I also trim the NEM pocket flush with the end of the bogie.

At the 'rear' it looks as though the coupling is glued in place, but the ploughs were mounted without the coupling there, & it was put back in the NEM pocket after.

Cheers,

Phil.

Thanks Phil, that's most helpful.

Mike

At the 'front' I also trim the NEM pocket flush with the end of the bogie.

Never mind the 57....never mind the sleepers did you complete (on time and correctly!) your errand for SWMBO??!

Top work for stock as usual.

G

• RMweb Premium

Never mind the 57....never mind the sleepers did you complete (on time and correctly!) your errand for SWMBO??!

Top work for stock as usual.

G

Of course I did, or I wouldn't be able to type this !! :blackeye:

Cheers,

Phil.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

My Son wants one of his HST sets finishing (well he wants all 3 doing really !!), and this is the only one not currently on the layout, so I thought I'd have a go !

Will start with renumbering and weathering, but may well convert it to Kadee couplings at some point.

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-97311900-1510246801_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Usual disclaimer, 'no connection other than a satisfied customer', but I've got to say how impressed I am with the Railtec transfers for these coaches !!

Few pics showing different coaches at various stages of application-

42130 as bought.

T-cut & cotton buds used to remove numbers, leaving a polished gloss patch.

42241 with new numbers applied.

42363 after varnishing. Also showing the 'coach F' transfer.

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-08802500-1510521482_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-50934600-1510521543_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-98947900-1510521698_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-72481100-1510521711_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-01498500-1510521777_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-89589800-1510521788_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-82460800-1510521868_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-55864200-1510521925_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

"Dad".

"Yes Son"

"We are putting people in them aren't we?"

So now I've had to split all the coaches, and order a small army of occupants, who are hopefully on their way from China !!

Might as well paint the chairs & tables while they're in bits.

Then just wait for the lad to say "It would be good if you could see inside them better" !! :banghead:

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-15532800-1510870905_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

"Dad".

"Yes Son"

So now I've had to split all the coaches, and order a small army of occupants, who are hopefully on their way from China !!

Then just wait for the lad to say "It would be good if you could see inside them better" !! :banghead:

Cheers,

Phil.

"Dad - why can't we see inside all the other coaches...............?"

Slippery slope an' all that..

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

"Dad - why can't we see inside all the other coaches...............?"

Slippery slope an' all that..

Cheers,

Mick

I slipped up by putting lights & people in the DRS short-set.

3 coaches wasn't so bad, but there's this 9 coach HST, an 8 coach FGW HST, a 7 coach XC HST..........

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Gold

"Dad".

"Yes Son"

Cheers,

Phil.

Hahahaha Phil....good luck. I've done a few of my XC ones and half a rake of FGW.........it takes foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hahahaha Phil....good luck. I've done a few of my XC ones and half a rake of FGW.........it takes foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  :O

On my BFO the tail lights work. The pick-ups were easier to sort out on the Lima axles than they are on the Hornby ones.

Hornby have both wheels insulated from the axle, Lima only had one, so as long as I made sure the axles were in the right way round, I just wrapped the lighting wire around the axle & soldered it to itself.

Worked a treat :) .

With the Hornby ones I'd have to fit proper pick-ups :O

Or I could just leave the passengers in the dark !!

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just noticed that the TGS only has 1 insulated wheel per axle :)  :)  

Can't believe I'd missed that earlier, especially after mentioning it !! :banghead:

Plan is now to put pick-ups in that & connect rest with plugs & sockets.

Cheers,

Phil.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

What did you use for the door handles etc Phil?

On the VTEC stock ?

Nothing, that's how they came !

All I've done with them lately is mutter under my breath as I solder plugs & sockets for the lights.

First attempt the wire was too thin & broke, second attempt the wire was too stiff.

Just done 3 coaches today with a (hopefully!) better solution, so when I've tried them on the layout, if it works I'll report back !!

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Gold

On the VTEC stock ?

Nothing, that's how they came !

All I've done with them lately is mutter under my breath as I solder plugs & sockets for the lights.

First attempt the wire was too thin & broke, second attempt the wire was too stiff.

Just done 3 coaches today with a (hopefully!) better solution, so when I've tried them on the layout, if it works I'll report back !!

Cheers,

Phil.

Sorry, I meant for the DRS set!