Phil Mc's workbench

Phil Mc

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, I meant for the DRS set!

They are from Hurst Models.

The door handles and handrails are from DK1009.

The Central Door Locking Emergency Handles & the Door Open Warning Lights are from DK2007.

I haven't looked, but I'd take a guess that neither will be in stock on the website !! :umbrage:  :umbrage:

Cheers,

Phil.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

First things first, I'd just like to wish everyone a Happy New Year, and hope everyone had a great Christmas !!

Some progress has been made on the VTEC rake-

lights fitted, with interconnecting plug & sockets.

interiors painted, floors in dark maroon, tables and end panels cream, vestibules in pale cream, inside the coach bodies below the windows in pale grey.

passengers added, concentrated towards the centre of the standard class & fewer towards the end coaches.

No idea how effective this will look, but I quite enjoyed doing it !

Pics reminds me of one by a certain Mr Makin !!

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-84421700-1514805822_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-79782500-1514805878_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Not enough standing passengers in the vestibules.........

And a lone spotter hanging out the window.......

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Only because I haven't decided which window to 'open' yet ! :mosking:

Cheers,

Phil.

Edited by Phil Mc
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fitted an anti-flicker unit (so the lights work on DCC & in both directions of travel on DC) into the guards area of the TGS.

The end of the coach being 'clip-on' is very helpful, I've cut a hole in the inner part, so I can unclip the end & get to the variable resistor on the circuit board, to adjust the brightness of the lights.

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-06440900-1514934686_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Not enough standing passengers in the vestibules.........

Cheers,

Mick

Only because I haven't decided which window to 'open' yet ! :mosking:

Cheers,

Phil.

Guys please.........it's a HST not a Class 50.......I do believe you are getting carried a way a bit  :jester:

Nice work Phil........although I think I'm pleased I'm only going to do my GWR day rake in the near future, it might stand a chance of getting done before Christmas!!!!!! You've put a lot of work into that  :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Weathered and put back together.

The buffet has had 3 windows on the kitchen side made opaque & the little window at the end of the corridor side made clear, to match this particular coach. The number on the corridor side is also in a slightly different place compared to some others !

I'll adjust the brightness when they're all linked together on the layout.

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-18516200-1515182054_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-85553300-1515182084_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-66584700-1515182127_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-20526000-1515182182_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-12473900-1515182237_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-10050900-1515182279_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-36991300-1515182310_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Your lighting looks great... something I've been thinking of doing. Do you have a few details on the circuit board and components you've used?

Cheers

Will

Pic shows the packet for the anti-flicker unit from Layouts4u & the roll of LED strip (less than a fiver off eBay), also on the silver packet is one of the mini plug & sockets used between the coaches (bought from an exhibition somewhere!)

Only other item needed was some very thin wire, which is the bit that concerns me, whether it'll stand up to constant flexing in use without breaking, but time will tell !

Oh, & exactly 200 people with their legs removed !! :O

People were bought off eBay too, ready painted, £18.40 for 1000.

They're not exactly the best detailed population you'll ever see, but they should look ok at a scale 100 MPH :mosking:

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-82429600-1515237628_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

What’s the anti flicker/dimmer unit like on the move?

As you know I’ve illuminated my NMT coaches using similar led strips but have cross wired the coaches to pick up from each other as the ‘stay alive’ I added to my accessory decoders (one powers 3 coaches, the other powers 2) still left the lights flickering and cutting out a bit on dirty track hence why I cross wired them but I have the same concern as you that the thin wires won’t really be up for the job in the long term

May order one anyway and give it a try, plenty of other coaches to use it in anyway

• RMweb Premium

There's no flickering at all on DCC, although it's only a shunting plank, but the TGS was quite happy being pulled & pushed around at various speeds.

The full rake has just had an hour running round on the DC layout with no issues. :yes:

All the more surprising when I realised afterwards that I'd only got 3 of the 4 pick-ups actually collecting power !!

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Gold

I’ve ordered 5 of them so will give them a go, I’ve got to change the pick ups on mine as there is too much friction across the 5 coaches (12 wheel back rubbing type in total) and it’s struggling up the inclines now, I’ve got a set of DCC concepts wheels with sprung pick ups to try instead which are virtually frictionless, 2 of those per coach should suffice i recon

I’ve not done any modelling in over a month, not been in the mood for it but hopefully I’ll get back to it next week

• RMweb Premium

I was worried about the friction of fitting pick-ups to all 9 coaches, which is why I went for the plug & socket method.

I wrapped Phosphor Bronze strip around the axles, making a very crude version of the DCC Concepts pick-ups, on all 4 axles, 1 on each bogie to each rail.

But like I said, only 3 of the 4 are collecting current from the track !

If power is applied straight to the strip, all 4 work, so I need to investigate if the strip is isolated from the axle, or the axle is isolated from the wheel.!

Cheers,

Phil.

Pic shows the packet for the anti-flicker unit from Layouts4u & the roll of LED strip (less than a fiver off eBay), also on the silver packet is one of the mini plug & sockets used between the coaches (bought from an exhibition somewhere!)

Only other item needed was some very thin wire, which is the bit that concerns me, whether it'll stand up to constant flexing in use without breaking, but time will tell !

Oh, & exactly 200 people with their legs removed !! :O

People were bought off eBay too, ready painted, £18.40 for 1000.

They're not exactly the best detailed population you'll ever see, but they should look ok at a scale 100 MPH :mosking:

Cheers,

Phil.

The East coast set looks brilliant phil....one technical question...what are you going to do with the 400 severed legs...?

Que the inappropriate jokes....for once I'm keeping my mouth shut.! Hope the most important miniature human is sat at the front! Brew in one hand hobnob in other....got to dunk. G

• RMweb Premium

Thought I might make them into an even weirder version of the 'human centipede' !!

The noisy power cars haven't been done yet, haven't decided which ones to model, & forgot to ask Brian (Shawplan) if he does any of the plates !!

So at the moment the coaches are running round between inappropriately clean NRM power cars !

Cheers,

Phil.

Thanks Phil

I've ordered some too :)

I'll admit to not really enjoying soldering these units up so these look ideal and seem a very fair price. Do you know if I'll need to include a bridge rectifier to run on DCC?

Thanks again

Will

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Phil

I've ordered some too :)

I'll admit to not really enjoying soldering these units up so these look ideal and seem a very fair price. Do you know if I'll need to include a bridge rectifier to run on DCC?

Thanks again

Will

It works fine on DCC as it is !

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Gold

Don’t know if you’ve seen my workbench thread but I’ve given the layouts4U anti flickers a go and they are very good, you may find that you don’t need to cross wire the coaches as I’ve managed to do away with mine since adding the units

Thanks for the heads up on them

• RMweb Premium

lights fitted, with interconnecting plug & sockets.

interiors painted, floors in dark maroon, tables and end panels cream, vestibules in pale cream, inside the coach bodies below the windows in pale grey.

passengers added, concentrated towards the centre of the standard class & fewer towards the end coaches.

Excellent work, but why are almost all the passengers travelling alone?  :jester:

Thanks all for your help! :)

I've installed one unit to an RMB and it looks great! (If you're interested I've put some photos on my workbench thread). They're definitely the way to go... now I've just now got to work out a good way of building and installing a flashing tail light!

cheers

Will

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Don’t know if you’ve seen my workbench thread but I’ve given the layouts4U anti flickers a go and they are very good, you may find that you don’t need to cross wire the coaches as I’ve managed to do away with mine since adding the units

Thanks for the heads up on them

They do seem to work a treat.

Looks like I should be on commission !! :mosking:

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Excellent work, but why are almost all the passengers travelling alone?  :jester:

I felt bad enough chopping all their legs off, I didn't want to chop their arms off too so they fitted side-by-side on the seats !!

( & it isn't too obvious there's only 2 people to a table when they're moving !! )

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Don't seem to have got much modelling done lately, but I have managed to get some big red stickers on the side of a 91 for my Son.

He seems to have picked up a bug for doing a whole class of loco's, no idea where he's got that from !! :dontknow:  :blum:

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-20883500-1518305245_thumb.jpg

• Like 6