Phil Mc's workbench

Phil Mc

• RMweb Premium

Easch wagon seems to have different width yellow strips. We had a couple of sets in work this week and I think each wagon was different!

Jo

I'm working from a set of pics I took at Toton, where the yellow is bordered by the original Blue stripe.

I like the 'not quite as much Yellow' (sorry Mick !!) look of them, instead of the wider Yellow stripe as seen on some.

But as you rightly point out, the stripes do seem to have been randomly applied !!

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-90558600-1500676386_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-70038000-1500676457_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-79244400-1500676471_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-11335600-1500676487_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-47141500-1500676510_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Another couple of easy wins.

Just a bit of detail painting, and adding the metalwork.

I even hung the shackles up for BradfordBuffer

Nice to see you're hanging you shackles correctly....

G

Still haven' clipped the pipes up though. :banghead:   :punish:

Cheers,

Phil.

I reckon the middle one in the picture of three together is a juicy ex Carillion one.

Other mods undertaken along with the yellow striping is a new yellow generator has been fitted, new data panels with NR instead of GERS prefixes, yellow or white edging to the hopper chutes, overhauled bogies and fresh paint on the yellow and white details like handbrake wheels, ferry tie downs etc

Jo 

• RMweb Premium

I reckon the middle one in the picture of three together is a juicy ex Carillion one.

Other mods undertaken along with the yellow striping is a new yellow generator has been fitted, new data panels with NR instead of GERS prefixes, yellow or white edging to the hopper chutes, overhauled bogies and fresh paint on the yellow and white details like handbrake wheels, ferry tie downs etc

Jo 

Luckily, not all the generators have been swapped for Yellow ones, that would be a PITA to paint ! :mosking:

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-48835200-1500719013_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-96545600-1500719025_thumb.jpg

Well that's the first one I've seen without a new genny - proof to always model from prototype pictures!

Good start on the debranding, I'm tempted to have an update of my N Gauge Society ones now

Jo

• RMweb Premium

Well that's the first one I've seen without a new genny - proof to always model from prototype pictures!

Good start on the debranding, I'm tempted to have an update of my N Gauge Society ones now

Jo

First TWO, they ain't the same wagon !!

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Premium

The Yellow was glossy enough to put the transfers straight onto it.

So NR transfers & new electric flashes added, Yellow & White details cleaned up/repainted, followed by a coat of Matt varnish.

Bit of exhaust dirt from the generator, & that's about it !!

Might live with them for a while before deciding whether to add a bit of 'frame dirt' to the Yellow.

Cheers,

Phil.

P.S.

The extra weathering added at the start of this was done by a new technique to me.

I airbrush covered the entire wagon with the rusty brown colour, then switched to clean thinners & blasted most of it off again.

I then dried it using a hairdryer, because I was concerned the thinners might attack the printed detail if left wet too long.

Kinda like an airbrush version of the 'wipe-on wipe-off' method !

Do we think it worked ??!!

post-4971-0-57822000-1500804971_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-17729300-1500804991_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-90011300-1500805019_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-81832500-1500805048_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-85754200-1500805087_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-48821600-1500805113_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-45181100-1500805135_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-13834100-1500805159_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil Mc
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

That's the plan !!

Although the Yellow isn't quite as wide in the pics I've got.

Cheers,

Phil.

Some of the ex-Carillion liveried JJAs have the thinner yellow band - 12909 and 12910 spring to mind.

Recognisable with the two blue bands above the yellow.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dan700/26919066464/in/photolist-9UWAPU-QCdtXV-H1KfBA-t8bXXj-vHXv9G

I really must get on with my JJA to HQA project.

Cheers

Mick

The Yellow was glossy enough to put the transfers straight onto it.

So NR transfers & new electric flashes added, Yellow & White details cleaned up/repainted, followed by a coat of Matt varnish.

Bit of exhaust dirt from the generator, & that's about it !!

Might live with them for a while before deciding whether to add a bit of 'frame dirt' to the Yellow.

Cheers,

Phil.

P.S.

The extra weathering added at the start of this was done by a new technique to me.

I airbrush covered the entire wagon with the rusty brown colour, then switched to clean thinners & blasted most of it off again.

I then dried it using a hairdryer, because I was concerned the thinners might attack the printed detail if left wet too long.

Kinda like an airbrush version of the 'wipe-on wipe-off' method !

Do we think it worked ??!!

Weathering spot on .....you dirty boy....

Hope you didn't use your wife's Dyson hair dryer! (Cost of two sound fitted locos)

G

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

After what seems like ages away from the workbench, I've finally started the next project.

It feels like I haven't done a complete loco repaint for a long time, so here goes !

These 2 are going to be 33101 in Departmental Grey, and 33102 in Blue.

I realise that Heljan have produced these same locos in the same liveries, but the headlight on the models narrows down the options a bit, and they were a bargain at £30 each !!

I could get rid of the headlights, but I quite like the look of them.

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-62362300-1505166051_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Spent a pleasant evening yesterday taking part in some mild destruction work.

Ended up with 2 loco bodies & a big pile of bits. :mosking:

Also added the curved pipe under the headlight at each end of what will become 33102, & touched in the lampbrackets with primer.

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-28269200-1505233371_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

30 quid each......? Wow what a bargain, Barnsley market or on line.?

G

After what seems like ages away from the workbench, I've finally started the next project.

It feels like I haven't done a complete loco repaint for a long time, so here goes !

These 2 are going to be 33101 in Departmental Grey, and 33102 in Blue.

I realise that Heljan have produced these same locos in the same liveries, but the headlight on the models narrows down the options a bit, and they were a bargain at £30 each !!

I could get rid of the headlights, but I quite like the look of them.

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Premium

30 quid each......? Wow what a bargain, Barnsley market or on line.?

G

A local lad I know, who can't decide what area or era to settle on. Every so often I get a text asking if I want some of the loco's he's selling.

My 57301 'Goliath' was originally Network Rail Yellow one I got from him (£30 again!), after seeing them on eBay, it would probably have been worth more if I'd left it alone !! :laugh:  :laugh:

Cheers,

Phil.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Blue and grey body colours added, as well as gloss varnish where the transfers are going to be added. ( not that it really visible in the pic!! )

Also done the chassis' and bufferbeams matt Black.

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-49317300-1506967509_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...