Phil Mc's workbench

Phil Mc

• RMweb Premium

Cab rides in this loco at Barrow Hill, and the desire for a shunting loco on our 'museum' layout have prompted me to put sound in my 03.

When I'm feeling brave I might strip the circuit board out and hard-wire the decoder in, as its a tight fit to get everything in there !!

I know there's no match truck at Barrow Hill, but I just wanted one :)

Pick-ups were add to help prevent stalling.

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-70814900-1519919453_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-95852600-1519919477_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-27265600-1519919497_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil Mc
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

This is going to end up being 60092 in DB red, but before I start doing anything to it I wanted to check that I knew what I was doing regarding fitting cab interior lights !

I figured it was better to try with a simple decoder rather than one with sound, and this is the result.

Soldered wire to pin 7 (Blue wire) of socket, split off to the long leads of the 2 LED's.

Soldered individual resistors to both of the short leads, before soldering one to the Green wire of the decoder, and the other to the Purple wire.

I know it's all pretty simple stuff to most DCC users, but it's still all new to me.

It all seems to work ok, though it's a bit bright in the cabs, I may have to mess with resistor values or the miniature drivers will end up with a tan !! :sungum:

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-76528100-1520175310_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-95362700-1520175323_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-72044000-1520175338_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-38680100-1520175354_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-58410700-1520175387_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-78797800-1520175396_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Great work Phil, modifications like these make locos individual and you know there’s only one like yours in existence! Regarding the brightness of the cab lights, sometimes something as simple as a piece of masking tape over the LED can work. I use either standard cream coloured decorator's tape (the stuff about an inch or so wide) cut into small squares, or Tamiya yellow tape if the LED is brilliant white and/or very bright. Painting around the LED black can help too, allowing just one face to shine. I’ve just added cab lights to a DRS 57, and using a 1K5 resistor for the SMD LED I still needed 2 layers of cream and one yellow layer of masking tape! :no:

Thanks,

Jack.

• RMweb Premium

Great work Phil, modifications like these make locos individual and you know there’s only one like yours in existence! Regarding the brightness of the cab lights, sometimes something as simple as a piece of masking tape over the LED can work. I use either standard cream coloured decorator's tape (the stuff about an inch or so wide) cut into small squares, or Tamiya yellow tape if the LED is brilliant white and/or very bright. Painting around the LED black can help too, allowing just one face to shine. I’ve just added cab lights to a DRS 57, and using a 1K5 resistor for the SMD LED I still needed 2 layers of cream and one yellow layer of masking tape! :no:

Thanks,

Jack.

Hi Jack,

They're SMD LED's I've used, but I never thought about sticking tape over them !!

They'll actually be stripped out of the 60 (it's staying DC) I was just checking what I was doing before I fit cab lights to my sound fitted DB 67 & DCRail 56, though I'll probably only put lights in the detailed end but not the coupling end of them.

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Premium

All major paintwork completed.

Yellow ends masked before adding Grey to roof and bottom edge of body

Then more masking before a coat of Red.

I even remembered to paint the doors and airhorns !

It'll probably spend a couple of days in the airing cupboard for the paint to fully dry, before the side grilles are sprayed Black.

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-70918800-1520719314_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-38949500-1520719334_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-06497100-1520719362_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-35176500-1520719386_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Nice work Phil.

DB red sits well on 60s an it's a relatively easy masking job.

Cheers,

Mick

There's an 'edge' to work to for nearly all the masking, except along the bottom of the body, and even then, there's enough reference points (centre door, grilles, cab doors, grab holes) to make it straightforward to do.

The livery does suit the 60's, but then, I think all the liveries they've been in suit them !!

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Premium

There's an 'edge' to work to for nearly all the masking, except along the bottom of the body, and even then, there's enough reference points (centre door, grilles, cab doors, grab holes) to make it straightforward to do.

The livery does suit the 60's, but then, I think all the liveries they've been in suit them !!

Cheers,

Phil.

[dons flameproof suit]

I wasn't keen on LoadHaul.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

[dons flameproof suit]

I wasn't keen on LoadHaul.

Cheers,

Mick

Wouldn't put it top of my list of favourites but I still like it.

I think Colas colours really suit them, and that's not bad for painting either !! :)

Cheers,

Phil.

All back in one piece, and light weathering applied.

I was going for the 'just dirty enough to not be clean' look !

Cheers,

Bob on paint job Phil.

Going to stick my head out of the mk2 door window hear....probably on of the most powerful looking uk locos....(well done Hornby)

pleasure to drive only ever failed once on main line!

Can't be leave how old they are now.....and me!

G

• RMweb Premium

Can't be leave how old they are now.....and me!

G

Aren't we all !!

Not surprised you like the Red and Grey livery, it matches your hair !! :blum:  :blum:

Cheers,

Phil.

Edited by Phil Mc

• RMweb Premium

Spot on Phil, you have done a lovely job.

What did you use for the cantrail as you have done it to an extremely high standard.

John

Thanks !

I use Fox Transfers cantrail stripe.

Used in short pieces, (no more than 4") it's far easier to work with than long lengths, and you've got to be REALLY close to see the joins !!

Cheers,

Phil.