Baseboard joiners for the 21st Century

I've been pondering the various methods of joining baseboards this year while I complete the conversion of my loft - it's something I'll be tackling in the new year (2016).

I thought I'd share with everyone a new system I came across at the Fareham exhibition at the beginning of October. These are proper baseboard joiners, not just the locating dowels everyone seems to sell and use.

They're manufactured and sold by Brian Wilson, who demonstrated them to me at Fareham. They really are a 21st Century solution, and I've written about them on my Mixed Traffic blog:

http://mixed-traffic.co.uk/baseboard-joiners-for-the-21st-century/

Brian is a genius!

• RMweb Premium

Brian demonstrated them to me at the 7mm AGM at Burton in June 2014

They look really good.

I have sent Brian numerous requests for a picture and a price to show other club members but he has not responded.

I gave up

I realise that Brian has a full time job, so time to follow up enquiries is possibly not easy

A pity because it's a good idea/product

Terry

and once shown here, every man and his dog will be copying it.

My dog would only be interested if she could eat it!  And as for us humans, there's no point creating a product that's so secret no one can find out about it, as it rather defeats the object of raising awareness of its existence in the first place.

• RMweb Gold

The blog says they do away with nuts etc and join boards but no details of how so we have no idea if it's good or not. Without pictures or a detailed description it's not really useful news especially if he doesn't respond to requests. Does he intend selling it as he's registered it? Wouldn't he allow pictures at the show?

Sorry but it's a bit of a tease with no hint of an answer at present.

21st Century solution ?

I'm seeing servo motors controlling the position of each baseboard ensuring tracks remaining 100% aligned relative to GPS tracked positions accurate to with 0.001mm.

Pity really, I quite like a bit of clicky-clack.....

• RMweb Gold

I thought I'd share with everyone a new system I came across 

But you've not actually shared anything other than some click bait for your blog.

and once shown here, every man and his dog will be copying it.

If he genuinely manufactures them as alluded to in the OP, then at least he will get some sales, unlike the present situation where no one is going to buy vapour. If he's just rebadging a commercially available product and calling them baseboard joiners then it's up to the individual whether he pays extra for having the product rebadged or seeks out an alternate source.

I'm seeing servo motors controlling the position of each baseboard ensuring tracks remaining 100% aligned relative to GPS tracked positions accurate to with 0.001mm.

Pity really, I quite like a bit of clicky-clack.....

Ah but will it be good enough for P4 alignment ?

I just do not quite see the point of having a product, demoing it at a show (where folk could just as easily copy the idea) and then not actually showing it on the web or in the MRJ Small Suppliers Forum.

Not even details how to order one. :(

This is a G CLAMP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-clamp

I cannot show an image of a Cramp as they hurt too much.

NB I do understand the ease of keyboard errors

A holding device with a threaded operation is a cramp .... those with a lever or cam system are clamps ................

.................................. apparently

although the usage has become , through time, corrupted. Now people recognise G clamp as correct - all semantics now. It is interesting to note that a sash cramp is still known as ( correctly) that.

A holding device with a threaded operation is a cramp .... those with a lever or cam system are clamps ................

.................................. apparently

although the usage has become , through time, corrupted. Now people recognise G clamp as correct - all semantics now. It is interesting to note that a sash cramp is still known as ( correctly) that.

The mis-use is not that recent, when I studied joinery too many years ago I was told they're G-clamps but sash-cramps.

Archived