Baseboard joiners for the 21st Century

Careful folks... there's a little too much hilarity for a serious thread like this about something we never knew we didn't need. Remember us railway modellers are supposed to be thoughtful, serious types...

• RMweb Gold

Now my dad - who did his apprenticeship in the 1930s - always called them cramps however there are two different things involved here.  The purpose of a cramp, particularly so with a sash cramp, is that it is used to cramp things up, i.e. to pull them together or tighten them, while a clamp is used to hold things together for the sake of convenience instead of having to find a third hand from somewhere.  In some sorts of woodworking there are times when things have to be cramped up to make a joint complete or tight or to assist in pulling the joints together (as with parts of a sash window - hence a sash cramp).

Now if you want to join sections of a layout together and maintain vertical alignment with some degree of reliability here is an already on the market 'baseboard joiner'.  Most folk will immediately recognise that it is a hinge but it is rather different in that it has a removable pin which is matched to the two halves of the hinge as a sliding fit and thus keeps them in perfect alighnment.  Bit more expensive than an ordinary pair of hinges but a bit more precise than the old dodge of using ordinary hinges with the original pin removed and something else slid in to keep them together.

attachicon.gifDSCF0150.jpg

Mike,

One presumes the extra-accuracy is made by using wood screws  of a differing head in certain of the fixing positions!

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

One presumes the extra-accuracy is made by using wood screws  of a differing head in certain of the fixing positions!

At last - a fully rationalised scientific realisation of the purpose of two different means of securing and aligning the two halves of the hinge  (without acknowledging the fact that I ran out of screws)

I started it because I wanted to share what I'd seen demonstrated at the Fareham Show. They are not being actively marketed as many have found/pointed out, and I'm hoping that will be changing soon. The leaflet I picked up doesn't have a photo or drawing ... otherwise I'd have shared it.  I apologise to anyone who's been annoyed by this thread - I'll be more careful about what I post in future.

Share what? There has been nothing shared.

I am sure if it was any good, it would of been shared as every modeller I know wants the others to benifit from their knowledge.

• RMweb Gold

Worth looking at the OPs signature and his day job....

Oh and that blog that he links to is part of a website with a primary purpose of being an on-line shop

http://mixed-traffic.co.uk/about-mixed-traffic/

Online railway model shop

The first function of Mixed Traffic is to deliver an effective online model railway shop. The shop is currently under construction so please bookmark the site for future reference.

Andi

Rather ironic that to go with DCC and all the up to their minute gismos, the American modular modellers manage with nothing more high tech than G cramps/clamps and a spirit level, while we all want the perfect joiner.

If it ain't broke you haven't got a big enough engine...

By the time the great invention is revealed someone will have invented and patented something for joining basedoards together securely. I would suggest they could be called something like "Baseboard joiners for the 21st Century" and they will be on baseboards all over the country.

Electro magnets and the boards sit on self levelling hover trestles, all powered by a Mr Fusion reactor! :D Now that's proper 21st century.

Electro-magnets? - hope there's no power cuts or your layout falls apart.... oh and the havoc they would cause with Kadee couplers!!

Hover trestles? - how do you keep your layout stationary? people would have to stop leaning on them pretty quick!!

If the OP was really so keen on dragging us all into the 21st Century, surely he'd have invented something better than prehistoric timber products for our baseboards??!!??

The only types of fastenening I've not seen for baseboard joining - Dzeus or camlocks

'fastenening' ? maybe that's what we should be using ? :declare:

I was investigating them recently. Unfortunately it appears that while the principle would work, there aren't any commercially produced one of the right proportions for baseboard joining

I began reading this thread fearing that my brass dowels and coachbolts were woefully inadequate. Having got this far, I don't think I need have worried. I'm sure these new 21st century joiners are great but hey, so are my low-tech ones.

Archived