Baseboard joiners for the 21st Century

I've just used a couple of coach bolts and wing nuts on my current layout. I couldn't be bothered with proper baseboard joiners, and it allows for adjustment. But I'd still like to know if this mystery object has potential.

• RMweb Premium

With all the interest shown in this, plus the (potentially) wasted time in reading all this, I'm a little surprised the esteemed member of South Hants MRC, EMGS, the Southern Group etc etc etc, has not come back with some details. It's not April is it?

• RMweb Premium

Ah but will it be good enough for P4 alignment ?

I just do not quite see the point of having a product, demoing it at a show (where folk could just as easily copy the idea) and then not actually showing it on the web or in the MRJ Small Suppliers Forum.

Not even details how to order one. :(

This is a G CLAMP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-clamp

I cannot show an image of a Cramp as they hurt too much.

NB I do understand the ease of keyboard errors

Yes, however in the 60s, before you were born, they were often referred to as Cramps.

Thanks

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Completely OT but I don't care. I was told recently that Tennis Racket is now accepted as being an OK spelling. I said it was but it was describing some of the players that made stupid screaming noises and that the bat is a Racquet thank you very much.

:beee: 
Ar$e

My trusty Chambers's Dictionary, revised in 1952 has - racket - a bat with roughly elliptical head, usually of strung catgut, for playing tennis, badminton, etc. and - racquet - Same as racket

Obviously over sixty years ago qualifies as recent!

My Johnson's Dictionary of 1827 just has racket as The instrument with which players strike the ball - but also A confused talk, in burlesque language. It doesn't mention racquet.

Sounds like it covers this discussion in all ways.

Tony

The mis-use is not that recent, when I studied joinery too many years ago I was told they're G-clamps but sash-cramps.

Seconded - taught by my (and "naturol's") dad, a cabinet maker and joiner - that one was a "G" cLamp and the other was a "sash" cRamp.

To the best of my knowledge, that remains true today.

As for 'racket' and 'racquet' can you buy one and pay by check ?

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

Let's just hope spammers never realise how many hits they could get from modellers by sending out emails with suggestive links on about 21st century baseboard joiners. It would be far more effective than the normal "pill" based ones. 

Just wasted two minutes of my life reading this.. Congratulations to the OP ! :D

That's why we're all contributing to the lighthearted banter, even though it makes it a longer read for newcomers. It gives some point to the time spent reading a pointless topic, if it's used as a bit of light relief from an otherwise dull or stressful day!

Apologies to all for my absence - I wasn't aware there'd been so many responses ... for some reason I'm not getting any notifications from RMweb.

They do exist and they are good (from the demo I've seen). The blog post was one of three I'd posted about the Fareham show.

Another update:

I've just spoke to Brian - he doesn't work Mondays and Fridays, so those are the best times to call him. He tells me the design is registered, so no copying allowed!

I think I've fixed the notifications problem.

I've just spoke to Brian - he doesn't work Mondays and Fridays, so those are the best times to call him. He tells me the design is registered, so no copying allowed!

We can't copy it if anyway if we can't see it :scratchhead:.

Seconded - taught by my (and "naturol's") dad, a cabinet maker and joiner - that one was a "G" cLamp and the other was a "sash" cRamp.

To the best of my knowledge, that remains true today.

As for 'racket' and 'racquet' can you buy one and pay by check ?

Brian R

I've got a G thingy I bought from Screwfix, and it says G cRamp on the label stuck to it!

He tells me the design is registered, so no copying allowed!

Not wanting to be contentious, but anybody can copy it, it is up to Brian to catch them, not worth his effort, imnsho for individual/club type plagiarists. If a large manufacturer was interested, then it would be easy to dodge around the design registration, and it would be then a case of who had the biggest lawyer..

(from  https://www.gov.uk/defend-your-intellectual-property

It’s your responsibility to defend your intellectual property (IP) and to take action if someone’s used it without permission (known as ‘infringement’).

Unless it is absolutely something wonderful and unique, and at the right price it could take a while to even get the registration fee back.

There must be dozens of ways to accurately align and connect things together (in fact yesterday I had a glossy 'trade magazine' sent to me which specifically concerned fastenings, hundreds of manufacturers, just in the UK,) 

Anyway, best of luck to Brian, but it could be difficult for him to make anything out of it.

Best wishes,

Ray

Not wanting to be contentious, but anybody can copy it, it is up to Brian to catch them, not worth his effort, imnsho for individual/club type plagiarists. If a large manufacturer was interested, then it would be easy to dodge around the design registration, and it would be then a case of who had the biggest lawyer..

(from  https://www.gov.uk/defend-your-intellectual-property

Unless it is absolutely something wonderful and unique, and at the right price it could take a while to even get the registration fee back.

There must be dozens of ways to accurately align and connect things together (in fact yesterday I had a glossy 'trade magazine' sent to me which specifically concerned fastenings, hundreds of manufacturers, just in the UK,) 

Anyway, best of luck to Brian, but it could be difficult for him to make anything out of it.

Best wishes,

Ray

True ... there are hordes of inscrutable people on the other side of the world who will copy anything at the drop of a hat (or iPhone).

We might all be copying it inadvertently if we don't know what it looks like! The point made right at the beginning was that if you have to phone some bloke on a Monday or Friday to find out what this supposedly wonderful new invention is, it's hardly fit for the 21st century, when we could Google "baseboard joiners", place an order online, and they could be here next day.

• RMweb Gold

True ... there are hordes of inscrutable people on the other side of the world who will copy anything at the drop of a hat (or iPhone).

To sell to the millions of baseboard building modellers in the world..anyway, Can't be a copy if you can't see it.

I had an idea years ago for a ladder bracket to go on top of vans and made one up out of stud and bar, months later a similar design appeared in the merchants. Someone else had the same idea but had thought of the marketing. We both made them but he made money from his as people could see and purchase it.

• RMweb Gold

Our club has recently adopted nuts and bolts as replacements for the clamps used for 30+ yrs. But our bolts have an unmachined shoulder, effectively a dowel with threaded ends ;) Highly effective and probably cheaper then the method mentioned above ;)

All bolts have an unmachined shoulder, properly called a shank, as described.

Anything that has a thread all the way to the head is a set-screw not a bolt,

http://britishfasteners.com/bolts.html

Andi

Yes, however in the 60s, before you were born, they were often referred to as Cramps.

Thanks

Phil

I was not born in the 1860's but in the first half of the last century (just) - I'm not as young as you might think. But it is good to be thought of as youthful, rather than just an old git, so thanks for that. They have always been clamps (though this might just be a regional thing). Just like the Scots always refer to swede as turnip and vice-versa. But then the Scots don't speak English (except in Inverness) ;)

• RMweb Premium

Just like the Scots always refer to swede as turnip and vice-versa. But then the Scots don't speak English (except in Inverness) ;)

Neeps to you pal!

I lived with a Scot for years but still can't decipher most of what they're saying. (if ya ken what I mean???).

Proud to be a wurzel!

Archived