Hornby B12

Wherry Lines

Could it be that despite all the assurances they have been fitted the wrong driving wheels?

I don't wish to even contemplate the possibility, but if someone loaded up the wrong tool for making the driving wheels....

Nooooooo!!!

Nahh, can't be that!

Before all the speculation gets anyone too excited, it could be something as simple as they are en route, but delayed. That's not as much fun to discuss though!

If it is a QC issue like the wheels, then surely it's better they spot it now before delivery and sort it out. Yes it delays products, but it also saves a lot of egg on face as I'm sure Hornby are very seated that there are unruly elements just waiting to over criticize any little error. Mind they are the sorts who will bemoan a delay as well.

Those of us waiting for one will just have to wait longer as there's nowt else we can do. If you've got the money sitting in a bank account, the longer it's in there, the better I would think!

Having seen the decorated samples at Warley, I'm prepared to wait for my green one, it's definitely worth it!

Cheers

J

Just got email from Hornby saying that my BR (late) B12 has arrived at the warehouse and will shortly be prepared for despatch. No mention yet of the LNER version...

Keith

Well, is that not just weird??? R3432 (supposedly due 13th. January) is now available from the Hornby website. The other two are still shown as pre-order.      :senile: 

• RMweb Gold

Well, is that not just weird??? R3432 (supposedly due 13th. January) is now available from the Hornby website. The other two are still shown as pre-order.      :senile:

but just looking at the Hornby website R3432 (Late Crest) is now showing as out of stock on the website (but available from stockists)

Now showing as 'sold out' on the Hornby site. I wonder if they have air freighted a part run of the late BR version in, with the rest following by sea container, which would tie in with the date of mid January that was revised last week. Hope retailers get an allocation, mine has ordered a fair number as we're in East Anglia, the home of the B12

Guest Midland Mole

Ah, so she is finally in stock on the Hornby website....now just need to wait until the retailers get them. :)

I must remember to ask my boss tomorrow if we are getting any in. :scratchhead:

- Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

BR Early now available on Hornby site - just ordered as I have a feeling that they will be "hot cakes"!

Michael

Bu99er! The dichotomy of really wanting something, but unsure if you've the readies to pay for it! Still, the Neo-Con finance system has been built on such...what could possibly go wrong? Oh yeah...

C6T.

• RMweb Gold

Why? They must be one of the most graceful classes ever built. And one of the most popular Especially considering they frist came out when Noah was still in the boat building business. still sold enough for Hornby to keep banging them out.

Edited by farren

I completely agree with you, the B12/3 is a graceful 4-6-0 of the old school.

But there's no eye-catching drama, its not a Pacific, there's no valvegear thrashing about, its not huge, and while one livery option is green the others are black. And thats why I wondered about its popularity.

And yet...

I like it because I liked the Triang R150 and it was the first big loco I had.  I suppose others too have fond memories of the old loco and the opportunity to have a proper scale model of the old stalwart is too good to pass over.

The only thing is, I've got a couple of the more recent Chinese built Triang-Hornby B12s, with the finer wheels and connecting rods.  I'll not be able to run them together with the new one, the differences will be glaringly obvious!

• Like 2

Large pre-grouping passenger engines were getting rare by the end of the 1950's and I went over to Leeds and York on my rest-day just to see the NER B16's. From what i have seen on old cine, the B12's looked very graceful in motion with that coupling rod unencumbered by a connecting road adding to a sense of something rather special from a bygone age. Hornby's B12 should look great in motion.

As an aside, when I saw a photo of a particular GCR 4-6-0, I knew instinctively I had seen one. I could only have been 5 or 6 yrs old and it must have been at some station like Guide Bridge in the late 1940's. That too had the grace of the B12 with the coupling rod moving up and down on large driving wheels.

• Like 3

Large pre-grouping passenger engines were getting rare by the end of the 1950's and I went over to Leeds and York on my rest-day just to see the NER B16's. From what i have seen on old cine, the B12's looked very graceful in motion with that coupling rod unencumbered by a connecting road adding to a sense of something rather special from a bygone age. Hornby's B12 should look great in motion.

As an aside, when I saw a photo of a particular GCR 4-6-0, I knew instinctively I had seen one. I could only have been 5 or 6 yrs old and it must have been at some station like Guide Bridge in the late 1940's. That too had the grace of the B12 with the coupling rod moving up and down on large driving wheels.

Dear Larry,

what an evocative thought that us younger ones can only wistfully lament in not having seen. However, if one wishes to sample a B12 (and a B1) at speed on the GCR London Extension recently then this video on YouTube is highly recommended: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6GuxUIGAfM

You were right about those graceful connecting rods in motion.

All the best,

Nick

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Mine just arrived, 8573 posing with the Peckett:

post-586-0-70166500-1481895417.jpg

The B12, for me, is something sentimental. My grandfather was a fitter at Lowestoft Shed and, who knows, he could have worked on this loco at some point in the past. Because of this I was a supporter of the B12 for a few years at the M&GN and spent a day driving and firing their loco.

Keith

• Like 5