Revolution Trains - OO - TEA Tanker

Gerald Henriksen

• RMweb Premium

What happened to the Early-Bird offer to tempt/reward investers?

I splashed out a fair few hundred pounds for a rake of 21 wagons, paying for these before the early bird deadline of 30th June.

The deadline was then extended to 31st July and further extended to 7th August.

Looking at website just now, and the advertised prices are still showing the same as what they were when I ordered mine back in May.

Appreciate with these ventures it's all about cashflow, but it seems that Revolutions cashflow has been boosted at my expense, as I could have hung on until now before placing my order.

If there's a valid reason, then fair enough, but if it was just to scare punters into parting with their cash earlier than need be, then it has all the hallmarks of the DFS sale that "Must End Monday" :nono:

• RMweb Gold

Apologies, that is my mistake as I didn't remember to change the prices (now rectified). No one (except us) has lost out (unless your money was making lots in interest for you - in which case I apologise again). If anyone spots a mistake like that please tell us and we will correct things.

The deadline was extended because of two reasons: we wanted to see the impact of Brexit (disastrous) and then there was a fault with the website.

Cheers, Mike

Edited by red death

• RMweb Gold

So what price have people been paying for the tanks between the extended deadline finishing and you just amending the prices on the website?

Hi Andy

It is no secret - it is on our website.

For all liveries apart from EWS the early bird price was £37, normal price £40. For EWS it was early bird £38.50, normal price £41.50.

So anyone who ordered until Scottish-Exile pointed out our mistake got a bargain!

Cheers, Mike

Edited by red death
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Appreciate with these ventures it's all about cashflow, but it seems that Revolutions cashflow has been boosted at my expense, as I could have hung on until now before placing my order.

If there's a valid reason, then fair enough, but if it was just to scare punters into parting with their cash earlier than need be, then it has all the hallmarks of the DFS sale that "Must End Monday" :nono:

Hi Scottish Exile,

I can see your point and yes in simple terms you did boost our cashflow - but as you can see from the photo above we spent that cash on turning the CAD drawing into a tooled model.

Your money, and that from hundreds of others, certainly hasn't just sat there in an account doing nothing for months and months on end but has been used to do what we pledged.

Because you and others like you stepped forward, the model will be with you all more quickly. It's as simple as that.

The discounted EarlyBird price wasn't intended to scare but to encourage. We are sorry about the mistake that led to it being applied for longer than it should.

When Mike and I spotted the potential for crowdfunding in the model railway arena, and (perhaps rashly) decided to put ourselves forward to take it on, we both knew that there'd be a huge amount of trust and credibility involved.

And that people would judge us on results, not just on promises.

Errors, clearly inflated or exaggerated claims or lengthy delays should be challenged by you, our supporters, who have every right to hold us to account. It's your money, after all. You owe it to yourself and to others to ask searching questions.

We believe that a professional approach, cool heads, clear communications, tangible evidence of progress, ability to maintain momentum on a project when the initial burst of enthusiasm has dimmed and readiness to respond quickly and correct mistakes are absolutely vital.

Which is a very long-winded way of saying thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 6

Thanks to Mike and Ben for dropping by the stand at Peterborough yesterday allowing me to get to see these in the flesh for the first time.

Revolution_TEA_EWS.jpg

Revolution_TEA_VTG_Red.jpg

Revolution_TEA_Greenergy_s.jpg

They really are truly excellent, the packaging, paint finish, lettering and even the weight give a feel of a quality product. Well executed and within a relatively short development period.

How N gauge has come on!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Which is a very long-winded way of saying thanks for bringing this to our attention!

No wories, my post wasn't the best written, and I wasn't having a dig. I was buying the wagons regardless so whether I paid in May or now is irrelevant. If the lower price has helped attract others, then all to the good, as more customers will make this a bigger success and will lead to new models in the future (Like those 6 Class 320's in Strathclyde/Scotrail I need in OO Gauge that you need to release :mosking: )

Anyway, I've shot myself in the foot. The reason for looking on the website today was I'm contemplating buying another tripple pack of Greenergy wagons having seen that rake at Long Marston the other week. And now you've put the price up :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That was sort of my point Scottish Exile, I was contemplating adding a few more to my order. I thought no rush though as the price isn't going to change again may as well wait until near the deadline. If only I had looked on the website at the weekend when I first thought about it! Never mind really looking forward to seeing them at Warley.

Hang on a minute, so I've now got to spend another £18 for a rake of 6, thinking £37 was the post early bird price. That's very irritating. I think there were a fair few people waiting to place an order based on £37 a go, a little grace period would have been nice. If you'd said the price was going up next week to £40 you would have had an influx of orders for sure.

Hang on a minute, so I've now got to spend another £18 for a rake of 6, thinking £37 was the post early bird price. That's very irritating. I think there were a fair few people waiting to place an order based on £37 a go, a little grace period would have been nice. If you'd said the price was going up next week to £40 you would have had an influx of orders for sure.

The deadline for earlybird prices as stated on the website was the 7th August but 'somebody' forgot to amend the prices afterwards, so anyone ordering between then and Scottish-Exile pointing it out got a bargain, anyone ordering after Scottish-Exile pointed it out has paid the price they (and the others) should have paid, Revo havent done anything wrong (except loose a few quid on each model ordered before the pricing 'error' was pointed out to them), it was all on their website.

• RMweb Premium

You snooze, you lose. Simples.

Easyjet/Ryanair/Virgin Trains/etc don't have a grace period at all. They put prices up as demand (and even simple websearching hits for potential travel) goes up. Be thankful that the model railway trade doesn't work like that.

At the end of the day Revolution Trains is two model railway enthusiasts pulling their collective finger out and putting a lot of time and effort (and some finance despite it being a crowd-funded project) into this model.

Although I've ordered my main batch at the early bird price, I'm very tempted to add a few more on and I'm not going to complain that I have to pay a few £ more for quality.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd like to second Scottish Exiles call for a 320 in OO. Now that would be nice.

I like your approach . Offer what you can deliver, bring it to fruition in a relatively short lead time.the hobby needs more initiatives like yours

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

We have shied away from the 320/321 in 00 - or indeed any further 00 announcements - so far because neither Mike nor I are familiar with the market and we want to deliver tangible models that people can judge first.

We are wary of announcing lists of aspirational models and then having a website full of stalled projects or "still-awaiting-production" items.

Once the TEAs are here - and hopefully receive the rave reviews of their N gauge counterparts - then we will look seriously at the next project in 00.

We're sharing a stand with Rapido at the Warley National Model Railway show at the NEC next month - where the 00 TEAs will be on display - so please come and share your thoughts.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 5

Hi Ben/Mike,

I totally understand the sensible approach you are taking to announcements and the speed of development and the quality is superb.

From what I can see from Rail Express news with the OO models sample it is going to be an amazing model for the price. I'm glad I messaged Mike to double my order after seeing the quality of the N gauge models and hopefully Hornby will do a Colas 60 in time for there release too.

I'm sure there are a few of us in the larger scale a bit Nvious at some of these new models and I would hope the 320 and 92 might grow one day.

Thanks

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi ND,

We can certainly produce TOPS panels that can be available to renumber wagons.  These are great because they can just be placed over the existing panel with no need for repainting, or removing lettering.

However, the the tiny repeater numbers next to the catwalk on top are more awkward as they are painted directly onto the barrel.  They are very small, but they are there. Adding these small repeater numbers to the decal sheets will significantly increase the cost of each sheet and of course mean the modeller has to remove the existing numbers before applying.

post-420-0-28083600-1477665659_thumb.jpg

What would people prefer?

cheers

Ben A.