Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

Guest Q663389

Half a dozen in the D5151 to D5175 range (later designated 25/0) should do it. No yellow warning panels, SYWP, fluorescent orange warning panels and blue with full yellow ends-pre-TOPS.

Alan

I personally would love to see Sutton Locomotive Works produce a detailed model of either a class 40 or class 45.

Imagine all of that superb detail and a speaker in the roof grill as well as one in the fuel tanks. I'm sure that would look and sound heavenly.

Any thoughts ???

Paul.

Paul,

You do realise that the chassis of the 24 is backward (or is it forwardly?) compatible with the (hopefully to be announced) class 25 and was designed as such... so the next logical step, would be for a class 25 Model.....

However if you wanted to forward them a cheque for £300k i’m Sure they’d consider doing you a class 40 and 45...

• Like 1

Paul,

You do realise that the chassis of the 24 is backward (or is it forwardly?) compatible with the (hopefully to be announced) class 25 and was designed as such... so the next logical step, would be for a class 25 Model.....

However if you wanted to forward them a cheque for £300k i’m Sure they’d consider doing you a class 40 and 45...

Andy, I can see the logical step with the 25 chassis etc. I'm only just getting into Blue & grey diesels, having been a totally Modern image modeller up until now.

Wishful thinking I guess for a superbly detailed, correct height body & bogie etc class 40.

In my opinion, I'm sure that in time, Sutton Loco Works could turn their hand to any class of locomotive and the finished article would surely be amazing.

I'll start saving the "Pennies" towards my share of the 300K.

Regards, Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

In response to post 1674.........Sooner see a class 25 first.

Going back to post #1005

If you look at the picture of the circuit board and read what it says on the upper right of the board just above the capacitor (although the text is upside down.......)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

If you look at the picture of the circuit board and read what it says on the upper right of the board just above the capacitor (although the text is upside down.......)

But that's been there since day one. Just like the class 25 bits cast into the ballast weight. One day...   one day.   :smile_mini2:

P

• RMweb Premium

But that's been there since day one. Just like the class 25 bits cast into the ballast weight. One day...   one day.   :smile_mini2:

P

Agreed - I posted it for those that may have not noticed it before.

(and add to the 25 wishlist froth.........)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Probably the most sensible remark made in this thread.

(and add to the 25 wishlist froth.........)

I am sure that they are fully aware of the interest in class 25, not least because they want some for themselves, but given the development costs, the availability of slots in the production environment, and the requirement to get a good return on initial investments before making new ones, then then no amount of wishlist frothery is going to change the hard economic and business facts which will determine when such models will make it to market.

The alternative is for SLW to provide another example of the old saw, “Easiest way to make a small fortune supplying the hobby is to start with a large one.” And then we wouldn’t get a class 25 to this standard at all.

It's rather odd that the Glasgow Works Front 24 with centered discs has not already been produced ? The tooling for the nose ends has been available since SLW entered the market.....see photo 4 on their home page......and then there's still a headcode box 24 to come at some point, perhaps then a 25 will be considered.....

My two 24s, 24081 and 97201 when it arrives, complete my fleet of 24s, so that will be it for SLW purchases for me until they bring out a new model. Much as I love them, I can't really justify any more.

My credit card is breathing a little more easily for the time-being, but a 25 would change all that

I think this post probably sums it up for quite a few of us...

Take out the extremes of the the modeller who wants every class 24, to the single purchaser, then (making a big assumption here) most folk will have (or want) maybe between 2-4 models... After that it’ll take longer and longer to sell out any production run as the number of purchasers decreases.

Add in the Bachmann revised tooling 24 on the (very distant) horizon then to sustain sales they need to keep offering something slightly different/new.

If they announced a class 25, straight away i’d Be interested in maybe 3 or 4 over time....if they don’t then after 97201, they only get one more (perhaps two if they twisted my arm) sale from me if they did a 24/1.

I’m also sure that Bachmann will be looking at their class 25 as they can see the threat to future sales if SLW could get a 25 to market quickly... so 2018 prediction, updated class 25 in Bachmann range announcement.

So I suppose my point is, if you stand still, then don’t be surprised when your over taken..... I just hope they have been working away in the background towards a class 25 announcement.

• Like 1

Half a dozen in the D5151 to D5175 range (later designated 25/0) should do it. No yellow warning panels, SYWP, fluorescent orange warning panels and blue with full yellow ends-pre-TOPS.

Alan

I don't know about the half dozen, Alan, but if they tool up for a 24/1 with headcode boxes, the 25/0 would be a logical variant. 

I have not seen this in print anywhere, but my impression is that the 25/0 group were using up pre-existing class 24 shells with the uprated engines fitted. Most of the details, including the fuel tanks and battery boxes, match the previous 24s. Other common details include the valances (retained behind the buffer beams but later removed from under the body sides, just as for the 24s), fishbelly lower cab front shape, recessed cab doors (EDIT: Correction: the non-recessed doors, i.e. flush-fitted cab doors), and shallower cab windscreens.

Edited by SRman

Guest Q663389

I don't know about the half dozen, Alan, but if they tool up for a 24/1 with headcode boxes, the 25/0 would be a logical variant. 

I have not seen this in print anywhere, but my impression is that the 25/0 group were using up pre-existing class 24 shells with the uprated engines fitted. Most of the details, including the fuel tanks and battery boxes, match the previous 24s. Other common details include the valances (retained behind the buffer beams but later removed from under the body sides, just as for the 24s), fishbelly lower cab front shape, recessed cab doors (EDIT: Correction: the non-recessed doors, i.e. flush-fitted cab doors), and shallower cab windscreens.

Very true. There were no steam heaters however, so some of the roof detail is slightly different, and no water tank . The usual round exhaust port, later changed and moved towards No.2 end. I voted for both the Scottish Headcode variants which may provide initial donors. The 25/0 had two sizes of fuel tanks also. 1961 to 1972 is the period when I remember them from the Thornaby pool and I did get an occasional cab ride on a Sunday (track lifting trains) as my uncle used to drive them although he was a Darlington man at the time. I waited a long time for the Class Q6 and it will be slightly longer for the 25/0.

Kindest regards

Alan

I think this post probably sums it up for quite a few of us...

Take out the extremes of the the modeller who wants every class 24, to the single purchaser, then (making a big assumption here) most folk will have (or want) maybe between 2-4 models... After that it’ll take longer and longer to sell out any production run as the number of purchasers decreases.

Add in the Bachmann revised tooling 24 on the (very distant) horizon then to sustain sales they need to keep offering something slightly different/new.

If they announced a class 25, straight away i’d Be interested in maybe 3 or 4 over time....if they don’t then after 97201, they only get one more (perhaps two if they twisted my arm) sale from me if they did a 24/1.

I’m also sure that Bachmann will be looking at their class 25 as they can see the threat to future sales if SLW could get a 25 to market quickly... so 2018 prediction, updated class 25 in Bachmann range announcement.

So I suppose my point is, if you stand still, then don’t be surprised when your over taken..... I just hope they have been working away in the background towards a class 25 announcement.

But Bachmann don't do anything quick these days !

• RMweb Gold

So there I was at the SLW stand at Warley looking at a big sign that signified the production of the blue and red Class 24. A bloke picked up a voting form and carefully put his details on it, ticked the box adjacent to D folded it and popped it in the box. 

• RMweb Gold

So there I was at the SLW stand at Warley looking at a big sign that signified the production of the blue and red Class 24. A bloke picked up a voting form and carefully put his details on it, ticked the box adjacent to D folded it and popped it in the box. 

...but doesn't he now qualify for the unchanged original price?

Kev.

I  notice  there  is  a 24   on eBay  at  the  moment

A "professional" ?  re-painted and sound fitted 97 201 (ex SLW) sold recently for £207....AFAIK the existing bodyshell requires altering / re-tooling to accurately portray 97 201............... 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SLW-Class-24-RTC-Livery-97201-DCC-Sound-Fitted-/253172539545?hash=item3af2426099%3Ag%3AAO0AAOSwq9NZyAD5&nma=true&si=HoJPZ%252Bo%252BexyBnTgbnr2xkAxbwUE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by tractor_37260

A "professional" ?  re-painted and sound fitted 97 201 (ex SLW) sold recently for £207....AFAIK the existing bodyshell requires altering / re-tooling to accurately portray 97 201............... 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SLW-Class-24-RTC-Livery-97201-DCC-Sound-Fitted-/253172539545?hash=item3af2426099%3Ag%3AAO0AAOSwq9NZyAD5&nma=true&si=HoJPZ%2Bo%2BexyBnTgbnr2xkAxbwUE%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I think I'll wait to be honest

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SLW-Class-24-RTC-Livery-97201-DCC-Sound-Fitted-/253172539545?hash=item3af2426099%3Ag%3AAO0AAOSwq9NZyAD5&nma=true&si=HoJPZ%252Bo%252BexyBnTgbnr2xkAxbwUE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The  one  currently  listed  is   as  purchased  straight out  of  the  tin,  untouched  by human  hand! ( ie  not  repainted!!!)

I notice  Rails  list  one  also at  slightly less than  the  current new  price by £5!

Edited by Stevelewis

EXPERIMENT IS NOW OPEN TO ALL (FOR PRE-ORDER)

Having notified all those who supported the voting initiative with their priority offer, we are please to announce our forthcoming SLW version of Class 24 No. 97201 EXPERIMENT is now open for pre-orders by all-comers. That's everyone - newbies, those who have only just found out, or those who simply forgot or didn't vote...

You can do this online by visiting the RE webshop or simply picking up the phone and calling us on 01780 470086.

See: http://www.railexclusive.com/products.php?cat=14 

If you voted and have not yet responded to our communication by confirming your firm order (there is a very small number of you) then we urge you to contact us as soon as possible.

The gentle 'giddy-up' is because a fixed number of these locomotives will be produced and we don't want any supporters to miss out, especially if they expressed an early interest. 

We are about to advertise the availability of No. 97201 much more widely, including in the model railway press. From this point onwards, any unallocated models will be include in the general availability.  

We hope to have an update on the standings of other versions sometime tomorrow...

post-7968-0-46732400-1512507326_thumb.jpg

• Like 7