Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

i wonder - how about some transfers to go around the windows to mimick the silver frames?  Seems an easy way to fix the problem if a transfer co. stepped up.... 

Not a bad idea except metallic colours are not possible to reproduce using CMYK inks.

is there anything worth using off the Hornby / Lima HST Mk3s instead? How similar are the modules underneath for those of us less-skilled?

I spent a bit of time looking at the differences on prototype photos a while back. From memory, there are differences in the modules between the 3 and the 3a.

Guy

Taken directly from the OR website..  "

OR763FO004- Mk3a First Open Stobart Pullman livery

Photographs to follow.

Blue/Grey livery Mk3a Coaches will start arriving in to stock towards the end of September with OR763RB001 being the first into our warehouse.  

Make of that what you will.. No mention of the ScR version.... 1 hopes they're holding it back so they can get the correct shade of light grey right??? The Stobart variant is the livery sample which has arrived at their ofices
Edited by Tiddles47

Taken directly from the OR website..  "

OR763FO004- Mk3a First Open Stobart Pullman livery

Photographs to follow.

Blue/Grey livery Mk3a Coaches will start arriving in to stock towards the end of September with OR763RB001 being the first into our warehouse.  

Make of that what you will.. No mention of the ScR version.... 1 hopes they're holding it back so they can get the correct shade of light grey right??? The Stobart variant is the livery sample which has arrived at their ofices

Thanks Tiddles.  Oh great, they start of with the Mk3a RUB - didn't see that one coming....  Is this Oxford Rail's version of waterboarding - or is one of the boy's / girl's in the factory doing them as homer's after work?

Not a bad idea except metallic colours are not possible to reproduce using CMYK inks.

I saw these on a YouTube channel of a guy who restores diecast cars and they work well:

Molotow Liquid Chrome Pump Marker Pen - 1mm Nib https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E7EFSVU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_5EaKBb77KMQQK

They do a 2mm nib as well, no connection other than a satisfied customer.

//Simon

i wonder - how about some transfers to go around the windows to mimick the silver frames?  Seems an easy way to fix the problem if a transfer co. stepped up.... 

The only way to get proper looking silver/aluminium edged frames/windows on OR MK 3's is to use Shawplan's etched frames along with Laser Glaze (apparently the Jouef version fits)  see BigAndy's posts further back in this thread.

Also worthy of note, some DBSO's also had silver/aluminium edged main windows.......

As for substituting Lima's MK3 underframe, that's a possibllity if it's more or less the correct overall size, the box outlines on the sides will be different, but at least they captured the slant/angle of the main underframe assembly more accurately than OR. 

Edited by tractor_37260

For reference 

With talk of modifying the OR coach to make it more visually accurate the alternative approach to cutting up a new model is to start with the old Jouef Mk3a which is accurate in nearly all dimensions including underframe angles, underframe modules, roof vents and the bogie width. It still requires a lot of work and parts to bring it up to the OR standard of detail but if you have the time I think it is more cost effective.

With just etched window frames, a repaint and new decals, based on my recent spend this equates to £14 on top of the basic OR price and that is without addressing the underframe shape and narrow bogies. Please don’t misunderstand me, the OR offering is very good for the money and if I was running a full rake I would be OK with the ‘issues’ except for the paint job and silverless window frame.

This Jouef Mk3a has Shawplan laserglaze and etched frames, new 12mm wheels with disc brakes, Phoenix Precision paints and fox/railtec decals for a total spend of £38.

post-22686-0-64133700-1536268104_thumb.jpg

Jonathan

• Like 7

For reference 

With talk of modifying the OR coach to make it more visually accurate the alternative approach to cutting up a new model is to start with the old Jouef Mk3a which is accurate in nearly all dimensions including underframe angles, underframe modules, roof vents and the bogie width. It still requires a lot of work and parts to bring it up to the OR standard of detail but if you have the time I think it is more cost effective.

With just etched window frames, a repaint and new decals, based on my recent spend this equates to £14 on top of the basic OR price and that is without addressing the underframe shape and narrow bogies. Please don’t misunderstand me, the OR offering is very good for the money and if I was running a full rake I would be OK with the ‘issues’ except for the paint job and silverless window frame.

This Jouef Mk3a has Shawplan laserglaze and etched frames, new 12mm wheels with disc brakes, Phoenix Precision paints and fox/railtec decals for a total spend of £38.

attachicon.gifmk3a complete.jpg

Jonathan

Certainly looks the part - a really nice job - like it....... :yes:

• Like 1

Compatible?   They will couple up to your OR coaches easily enough but in terms of a livery match I doubt it plus the Lima coaches (the better model IMHO now apart from the glaringly incorrect coach ends) have silver window surrounds a key feature.   I also don't think OR coaches are any better in terms of how close the coaches can couple to the Limas with their huge D couplings.  Be good to see your Lima and OR coaches together to compare by photo......we have seen comparisions between the Lima 87 and the new Hornby 87 but I cant recall any photos here comparing OR mk3s with Lima versions.

Is there any word on when the ScotRail ones are due? Hoping they are compatible with my existing Lima stock.

Compatible?   They will couple up to your OR coaches easily enough but in terms of a livery match I doubt it plus the Lima coaches (the better model IMHO now apart from the glaringly incorrect coach ends) have silver window surrounds a key feature.   I also don't think OR coaches are any better in terms of how close the coaches can couple to the Limas with their huge D couplings.  Be good to see your Lima and OR coaches together to compare by photo......we have seen comparisions between the Lima 87 and the new Hornby 87 but I cant recall any photos here comparing OR mk3s with Lima versions.

Here you go..........

Top photo - OX Rail MK3  and 2 Lima MK3's

Of note - the lower Grey is the same shade on BOTH Lima coaches - used against Red or Blue lining causes an "optical illusion" that results in the shades looking different.

Lower photos  - Lima on left - right  - one of the later Hornby versions - with nicely tinted almost flush glazing, but questionable "yellowish" lower body colour, the roof ribbing/vents also appear finer than the original Lima version.

post-2215-0-25211300-1536744449_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-57643400-1536744477_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-45700400-1536744783_thumb.jpg

Edited by tractor_37260

• RMweb Gold

For reference 

attachicon.gifmk3a complete.jpg

Jonathan

Where did you get the jumper sockets from Jonathan? 

• Like 1

For reference

mk3a complete.jpg

Jonathan

Fantastic, it was your workbench thread on Demu that prompted me to get a bunch of Jouefs for peanuts :D

Going to take my time with them

Here you go..........

Top photo - OX Rail MK3  and 2 Lima MK3's

Of note - the lower Grey is the same shade on BOTH Lima coaches - used against Red or Blue lining causes an "optical illusion" that results in the shades looking different.

Lower photos  - Lima on left - right  - one of the later Hornby versions - with nicely tinted almost flush glazing, but questionable "yellowish" lower body colour, the roof ribbing/vents also appear finer than the original Lima version.

This certainly shows the differences between them!  I share the same frustrations with OR's colours and other gremlins but for me this highlights that the Hornby model is far from fault free!  If I were to buy the current Hornby model in Intercity livery I would still have to repaint the lower bodysides (as they are too yellow), and whilst the sliver window frames are being highlighted by some as a benefit, in reality they are well overscale on the Hornby / Lima models which makes them appear toy like.  If I were going to start with the Hornby model I would have to scrape the sliver off and replace with either Shawplans etched frames, or I might give Southern Pride's transfers a go.  Obviously the roof vents may be wrong if we are modelling loco-hauled stock too.

On balance, whilst OR's models are certainly frustrating with their faults, I am not convinced the H model is the better starting place - I actually think OR's model is probably the better starting place for loco-hauled and if they can sort their paint colours there will be no doubt in my mind.

What is frustrating (and this post shows it well) is how Lima managed to get the paint colours right 30 years ago... 

M