Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt there, looking at photos the depth of the grey looks better on the OR coach - the top of the handrail should reach into the grey, with the door handle being just above it.

But I certainly don’t profess to be an expert on blue/grey, so can’t comment on shades.

Edited by njee20

In side profile from that photo above the OR coach has the better looking disguised coupling (helped a bit by the pipeworks and ETH sockets etc) - that huge black L shaped box with coupler sticking out of it slung underneath the Hornby coach looks terrible. Id rather endure the old lima bogie mounted D hoops! 

One point back in Oxford Rails favour LOL.

• RMweb Premium

I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt there, looking at photos the depth of the grey looks better on the OR coach - the top of the handrail should reach into the grey, with the door handle being just above it.

But I certainly don’t profess to be an expert on blue/grey, so can’t comment on shades.

HST and 3A had different liveries and this shows it well

In side profile from that photo above the OR coach has the better looking disguised coupling (helped a bit by the pipeworks and ETH sockets etc) - that huge black L shaped box with coupler sticking out of it slung underneath the Hornby coach looks terrible. Id rather endure the old lima bogie mounted D hoops! 

One point back in Oxford Rails favour LOL.

The coupler sits higher on my HST rake and using a different coupling head so doesn't hang down that far, that coach had some damage so is used for linking nem standard coupler height to a tension lock coupler.

I'm not a modeller but you have to start somewhere, one of the main reasons I buy the Oxford MK3's is because of the nem close coupling and a good looking coach for the price, Hornby tension locks (D hoops) on any coach nowadays just doesn't look right, big ugly coupling and huge gap, I wish they would follow Oxford and do nem close coupling, saves me the job!

post-28965-0-91154600-1540574671_thumb.jpg

I'll stick with my attempt for now,

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The coupler sits higher on my HST rake and using a different coupling head so doesn't hang down that far, that coach had some damage so is used for linking nem standard coupler height to a tension lock coupler.

I'm not a modeller but you have to start somewhere, one of the main reasons I buy the Oxford MK3's is because of the nem close coupling and a good looking coach for the price, Hornby tension locks (D hoops) on any coach nowadays just doesn't look right, big ugly coupling and huge gap, I wish they would follow Oxford and do nem close coupling, saves me the job!

attachicon.gifWP_20171010_15_23_11_Pro.jpg

I'll stick with my attempt for now,

Hornby Couplings are so easy to overcome by using the standard coupling mount and a rigid bar, I've done it with mine. I've also done them with knuckle couplings in the middle. 

As for the coaches, I find it so frustrating that there isn't a correct MK3 out of any of the offerings - every manufacturer seems to have different errors but when all of them are put together....Hey Presto, there'd be a correct coach. Something is being lost in translation between the prototype and the model.....regardless of scale.

• RMweb Gold

Noticed on the B/G FO's the door steps are now partially fixed in position by their inner pin the outer pin not being fixed presumably to help retain access to the interior etc...all 4 steps being present on my examples...

Good news, I am not the best or most patient at fitting the detail parts! I am looking forward to the B/G TSO's being released, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Without wishing to repeat (not read the whole thread) the couplings are appalling. I can live with the gap just about but their propensity to break is terrible to the point that I’m not buying any more solely for that reason. I spent hours trying to reaffix the tiny springs to the point I gave up and would happily trade my one month old buffet car for an 80s Lima equivalent!

Without wishing to repeat (not read the whole thread) the couplings are appalling. I can live with the gap just about but their propensity to break is terrible to the point that I’m not buying any more solely for that reason. I spent hours trying to reaffix the tiny springs to the point I gave up and would happily trade my one month old buffet car for an 80s Lima equivalent!

All 00 RTR couplings look awful. Lima's 80's HST Mk3 was about the worst of all. Oxford's should be easier to change though.

Yes the couplings are rather delicate, but if you strip the coach and secure the small springs at each end/locating lug with a spot of glue, and also coat the CC assembly bearing faces with some powdered graphite, this will help resolve most of the issues. Replacing the supplied couplings with Roco 40270 fixed bar type will reduce the gap.

post-2215-0-68245800-1541786724_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-19572800-1541786735_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the couplings are rather delicate, but if you strip the coach and secure the small springs at each end/locating lug with a spot of glue, and also coat the CC assembly bearing faces with some powdered graphite, this will help resolve most of the issues. Replacing the supplied couplings with Roco 40270 fixed bar type will reduce the gap.

How well do they go round 2nd rad curves? Any buffer lock?

• RMweb Gold

How well do they go round 2nd rad curves? Any buffer lock?

Fine in my layout.

My only gripe on couplings is they tense by stretching at an angle, rather than remaining straight, it’s a personal choice if you want to fix this, the solution is using Roco couplings. But to answer your question, straight out of the box with standard couplings doesn’t impair them on 2nd radius corners.

Edited by adb968008

Fine in my layout.

My only gripe on couplings is they tense by stretching at an angle, rather than remaining straight, it’s a personal choice if you want to fix this, the solution is using Roco couplings. But to answer your question, straight out of the box with standard couplings doesn’t impair them on 2nd radius corners.

Sorry I should've said what are they like round 2nd rad with the Roco couplings???