Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

Where did you get the jumper sockets from Jonathan? 

I scratch built them from plasticard and wire based on photos and approximate measurements

Loving your work on Oak Road and following with great interest, inspiring my own build even if I am stuck in the late 80's

Jonathan

Fantastic, it was your workbench thread on Demu that prompted me to get a bunch of Jouefs for peanuts :D

Going to take my time with them

Thanks for the comment, I have taken along time with the conversion, mainly as I was learning as I went and the fact I am doing 5 at the same time. Agree, take your time.

• RMweb Gold

What is frustrating (and this post shows it well) is how Lima managed to get the paint colours right 30 years ago...

M

It wasn’t that hard, they had access to tins of paint of the real thing.

Railmatch grey was a dead match for Lima’s grey too.

The problem was the lack of finesse to the paints application.

(And other oddities like the scratch on the class 47 tooling, which saw most 47’s produced from c1990 onwards have an approx 1 inch curved embellishment on the side, which factory paint never covered..).

Edited by adb968008

It wasn’t that hard, they had access to tins of paint of the real thing.

The problem was the lack of finesse to the paints application.

(And other oddities like the scratch on the class 47 tooling, which saw most 47’s produced from c1990 onwards have an approx 1 inch curved embellishment on the side, which factory paint never covered..).

>> Was that Lima 47's ? - if so can't say I noticed that ... and had loads of 47's pass through my hands..........got any photos showing this issue ? 

>> Not the Lima Ex light Grey - had to get paint made up to match it for re-paints..............the RM Ex Dark Grey was close to Lima's..........although I preferred Precision paints over RM ..................

• RMweb Gold

>> Was that Lima 47's ? - if so can't say I noticed that ... and had loads of 47's pass through my hands..........got any photos showing this issue ?

>> Not the Lima Ex light Grey - had to get paint made up to match it for re-paints..............the RM Ex Dark Grey was close to Lima's..........although I preferred Precision paints over RM ..................

It’s directly under the exhaust outlet on the top 1/3 of the body side

It’s quite hard to see (unless your looking for it), here’s best I can do without a macro lens but you can see the line clear enough in these two. (47976 and 47549), I’ve got 47583 infront of me too, every Lima 47 I’ve ever had >100 at one point, has it, never checked the Hornby Railroad ones to see if it was ground out or not.

post-20773-0-74107100-1536858084_thumb.jpeg

post-20773-0-15739600-1536858092_thumb.jpeg

Edited by adb968008

It’s directly under the exhaust outlet on the top 1/3 of the body side

It’s quite hard to see (unless your looking for it), here’s best I can do without a macro lens but you can see the line clear enough in these two. (47976 and 47549), I’ve got 47583 infront of me too, every Lima 47 I’ve ever had >100 at one point, has it, never checked the Hornby Railroad ones to see if it was ground out or not.

Thanks for the photos. Still have a few Lima 47's about gonna have a closer look at them.....

amazed Lima got the coach pretty good in the 70s but where they got their drawings from for the coach ends will always be a mystery to me.  Jouef got the gangway replication pretty good.   Lima just had a flat end with a connector that clipped on.   it should have had the corridor connector inset

so still love for the Lima mk3......

The Oxford Rail advert in the October edition of Railway Modeller has for the main picture a blue/grey mk3a FO behind a rail blue class 50 (presumably a Hornby one). Whilst the livery application appears to reflect the loco hauled version- rounded grey end with a blue band between it and black end, the yellow/blue upper stripe is too thick and essentially HST style. More worrying is the depth of the rail grey band is not deep enough as it is at the same level as the top of the recessed door handrail rather than being a little lower and dissecting the handrail. For me this affects the look of the coach and makes it appear shorter and higher in comparison. With their deeper rail grey area the 3a stock tends to look longer than a blue/grey HST trailer even though it is not. Hopefully this is not the retail version but is yet another silly and avoidable error.

Edit- I have just taken a look at the coaches on Hatton's site and there are no painted blue/grey versions just Oxford Rail's artist impression of the livery application. That shows the rail grey to be the right depth dissecting the recessed handrail in the correct place. Is it to be another case of OR snatching defeat from the jaws of victory? Fingers crossed that it is not.

Edited by Natalie
  • Like 2

I messaged OR via their new FB and full credit to them i had a response within 2mins!!! I asked about any updates to the ScR version and this was the reply...

"Oxford Rail The livery samples have arrived and been approved with the addition of the silver window frame. Currently there is no confirmed date of release but i will update the page when they are confirmed.

Now that sounds a bit more promising. Just have to wait a wee bit longer. 

Edited by Tiddles47
  • Like 5

Come on Oxford - get the colours right (mainly lower bodyside) and I will buy quite a few - I can live with the other faults but although I can use an airbrush well, I also know that respraying the lower bodyside will never happen (I know because I have a fleet of Hornby mk3s with a "too yellow" lower bodyside that have sat in boxes for years waiting this treatment...).

M

I heard on pretty good authority that Oxford had acquired a (L/E from AMRSS at Glasgow) Bachmann 47/7 and the reason was that they wanted coaches to match the loco and soon arriving DBSO and this was months ago.

This is one off those oft (on this thread) repeated stories since February this year.  Whether it'll pan out is another matter as its been said they are going with their own colours anyway so it might all have been a fruitless exercise I'm afraid.  Let's hope not.

More of a concern for me (providing they get the blue & grey's liveried 3a's correct) is the amount of slippage in the delivery program.

I too am wondering at the glacially slow progress on bringing these models to sale, particularly as I suspect the HST trailers at this rate are probably some while away, yet no doubt will be eagerly snapped up given the new Hornby Mk3s have had a fairly hostile reception with the ongoing restaurant roof problems.

I'm looking forward to the blue/grey releases but a nice set of Executive non-CDL fitted loco-hauled coaches would also be welcomed.  I suspect though I'll be waiting until sometime in the 2020s for them.

Edited by wombatofludham
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I too am wondering at the glacially slow progress on bringing these models to sale, particularly as I suspect the HST trailers at this rate are probably some while away, yet no doubt will be eagerly snapped up given the new Hornby Mk3s have had a fairly hostile reception with the ongoing restaurant roof problems.

I'm looking forward to the blue/grey releases but a nice set of Executive non-CDL fitted loco-hauled coaches would also be welcomed. I suspect though I'll be waiting until sometime in the 2020s for them.

My guess is the slow progress is probably down to a small production line.

Oxfords never made much fast to date, on anything its announced in the railway range.

I’m not expecting that to change, other than deecrease or cease.

Edited by adb968008

More of a concern for me (providing they get the blue & grey's liveried 3a's correct) is the amount of slippage in the delivery program.

Who cares?  Surely it's better to get the liveries right?  Just an educated guess, but I'd imagine that if Oxford have had to go about altering and rematching shades that this will unavoidably add a delay into the equation.  Do you want the correct liveries, or do you simply want the coaches yesterday and accept all the mistakes that go with that?  We can't have it both ways.

Who cares?  Surely it's better to get the liveries right?  Just an educated guess, but I'd imagine that if Oxford have had to go about altering and rematching shades that this will unavoidably add a delay into the equation.  Do you want the correct liveries, or do you simply want the coaches yesterday and accept all the mistakes that go with that?  We can't have it both ways.

How does any of that affect the blue & grey versions?

This is purely speculation and is not based on any evidence but I do wonder if the long delay in bringing forward new liveries might be due to Oxford Rail retooling the underframe.  This is the most easily noticable error to fix and, being a single part, would probably only require one mould to be altered.  I am aware of the bogie issue but that would probably be more awkward to fix.

If they do bring out revised under frames, hopefully they will be available as a spare part.

As I said, this is just speculation but it will be interesting to see.

Regards

Roddy

• Like 2